MG4; a significant car?

Indeed - the charging structure has to improve a lot. But I am sure that will happen.

I disagree about change , though, and our appetite for it . I think we have become an incredibly conservative (small c ) , backward looking country , resistant to change of any type and prone to harking back to some imagined halcyon past. One only has to look at the febrile local opposition to any planning application for any purpose .

Harold Wilson famously embraced the ‘white heat of technology’. He’d despair at our backward looking nation.

1 Like

Our local Tesco installed 3 chargers at the beginning of the large carpark.
It’s a pressure point of impatience with cars on them, and often cars on their last volt or two.
Which of course is the owner’s fault for getting that far. Or…is it?
As far as I know , full leccys don’t really deliver the range claimed.
A friend of my wife went full leccy 3 years back, got sick of it plummeting at the last moment despite her intelligent use and management, and now she is back to a medium sized Mazda Hybrid happy as Larry again.
For me, meantime, I’d go hybrid until the Holy Grail of multi charge points is rolled out. Which is never in my life span. In any case, imagine millions of vehicle sucking the life out of a knife edge UK winter grid anyway. Won’t work.
Nah…pistons still have a place.

2 Likes

Yep, don’t buy any of that Chinese rubbish that goes rusty! :roll_eyes:

And these are from 6 years ago, when it was still a current model.

yea… in many ways I quite agree with that, but I also don’t want an imposed change… because we all know our government know best… :roll_eyes:

On a slightly lighter note. :flushed::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The new Rolls Royce Spectre.

“Its extruded aluminium spaceframe construction is shared with the rest of the Rolls-Royce range and its kerb weight is claimed to be 2,975kg, with an electric range of 323 miles and power consumption of 2.9 miles per kWh. We’re not told the battery’s size, but it’s going to have to be pretty big to provide the quoted 0-62mph time of 4.5sec from the claimed 577bhp/559lb ft drivetrain propelling almost three tonnes.”

Prices expected to start at £1 million. Surely saving the planet in a serious way means driving 500 Kg cars with tiny electric motors and costing no more than £5000 - with 6-year warranty.

And here’s the irony. We are discussing a Chinese built EV which is being championed as environmentally sustainable. The Chinese build all this kit with energy generated by burning coal and petroleum products. Then it is transported across the globe.

This is a quote from 2008. I expect things have not improved since.

““Export goods emissions” account for 1.7 billion tonnes of China’s carbon dioxide. That represents 6% of total global emissions – the equivalent of Germany, France and the UK’s combined emissions.”

2 Likes

The Chinese build all this kit because the UK has sub contracted most of the manufacturing to China and India leaving the UK with Bankers and McJobs.

Worth remembering that when you start pulling a Japanese manufactured MX-5 ND apart you will find parts labelled as ‘Made in China’.

1 Like

There is going to be a lot more to this story for a MK 3 boat to be in that condition after 6 years ???there is far more to this, whats the full complete back story behind it , is there a link to see and read the true depth of this, which coast was she sunk on and which ocean was she raised from???
We have had roadsters sat around out side for a lot longer than six years not under cover that are not in that condition waiting to be sorted to A1 glory again.
There is a hell of a lot more to those pics to how and why she ended up in that condition, than look how cr*p the japanese cars are compared the the cardboard Chinese metal.

M-m

It is the pictures that were taken 6 years ago the actual age of the car is only ‘hinted’ at.
:heart:

Yet you use a YouTube video of a car with some Chinese looking graphics on to base your argument that all Chinese cars are ■■■■. What is the history of that car? I certainly remember the saying “Japo Crapo” still being around in the mid eighties and yet here we are talking about the quality of Japanese cars built from pretty much that era.
You will find that pretty much any production vehicle being built at the moment will have Chinese manufacture components in there, from the digital displays to ECU motherboards, cast components to wheel nuts, that “■■■■ quality” sits there.

Best built and proofed car I ever owned was of all things a 70’s Toyota Celica Liftback.
Lacquered bronze paint like battleship plating, cheeky bits underneath waxed and inner wing protected, and of course old school bullet proof over-engineering.
Dash switch gear clicked like period Sony Hi-fi of the day.
You even got folding wheel chocks!
Previous to that was my company Datsun 180B “woody” estate.
I ragged that machine for 90k miles over 3 years and it only ever needed tyres, sometimes a bulb, and dealer serving.
Yes, we are talking Japan not China, but you be surprised at how much Chinese stuff made under licence I presume was in them even then. Not a lot…but…
Meantime, most of my poor colleagues were afflicted with Marinas, Avengers, and other varieties of dog toffee.
Neither of these cars containing outsourced Chinese components ever, as I recall, had a wear and tear fail.
Guess where my superb old classic Nakamichi CD Radio Mk1’s ICE comes from?
As for the JVC speakers? :wink:

Thanks Nick for your wise words, rolls eyes .■■■■■
M-m

1 Like

Gosh! I had a 1981 Toyota Celica 2.0 ST bought new when I was in the forces in Germany.
I have no idea why, but it sort of “melted” away when we got back to the UK in 1985.
May have been a Right hand drive built to a Japanese spec…….
The rust was pretty awful TBH and perhaps just unlucky. :man_shrugging:

Stepping into a Celica 1.6 SR in 1976 was like walking on the moon in comparison to driving in BL cars of the day. They really were that much better.

2 Likes

Interesting article…

I must lose some weight, and try to drive downhill only!
I have owned some of these cars so can quote real extra-urban mpg:
Octavia 2.0 TDI - 45mpg
Astra 1.4 petrol - 45mpg
Swift 1.2 petrol - 48 mpg
Also….an earlier post says he gets 400 miles per tankful out of his NC. How? I can just about get 300 out of my NC 3.5 if I drive it carefully over a long journey. The best I’ve seen is 36mpg on a long run. If I ‘press on’, I can almost see the fuel gauge moving.
Fortunately it’s my fun car. I have a Yeti 2.0TDI for everyday use, which over 80,000 miles has averaged….you’ve guessed it….45mpg!

Hmm, many petrol cars have a 50 or 60 litre tank with the yellow warning light coming on when 10 left, and some (eg our old Vextra-B with a 60 litre tank) going red when 5 left.
SWMBO regularly mentioned in a casual throw-away comment , “Oh by the way the red light is on again in the car.” This translates as “please fill the car for me.”
On one occasion it took 59 litres and the trip showed 501miles since the previous fill! It burnt into my memory because of how close she came to being stranded, and at a time when it was our only car.

1 Like

… when I bought my car it was doing 38 mpg (that’s before the performance upgrades and tuning - now its more like 32 mpg ish). The tank is either 45L or 50L cant remember
1 Gallon is 4.546092 L
38 mpg/4.546092 L = 8.358827758 miles per litre
multiply your tank capacity and you have your range
45L → 376 miles
50L → 418 miles

I don’t run it until it has fumes in the tank so 400 miles was its range as far as I can recall…

as for the 60mpg cars… sorry to break it to you but the new stuff do get 60mpg

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes