MG4; a significant car?

Morris 1000.
60 year old technology.
45 mpg.
Top speed 81 mph.
Distributor tuning - use your fingers.
Timing - £10 timer gun.
Carbs - piston tickler.
Replacing thermostat - £5 and 10 minutes labour.
Cat thefts - nil.
Depreciation - nil after 1980.

Haven’t we all moved on.

2 Likes

Interesting you’ve picked up on the new MG4 “hot hatch”. As an owner of an MGF (as well as an MX5), I also belong to the MG clubs. This model is the first modern Chinese all-electric MG that has my fascination and could indeed rival Mazda’s current output. It’s called a Mulan and according to what I’ve read it has a dual motor powertrain and launch control and with further modifications due could double up to receive a 449 PS (330Kw), eclipsing the Mercedes AMGA45, reaching 100 MPH within 3.8 secs. I am no techy but it does sound impressive indeed…

2 Likes

Ditto Polestars, and those Australian market Teslas.

And Chinese made? That includes Meister-Rs that many like.

Longevity remains always a question mark, and more importantly, technology maturity; when is there the Betamax/VHS moment? I recall though when the Prius first appeared, Parkers were putting basically a zero value on those after 10 years or so, because everyone thought the batteries wouldn’t last, or replacement would be unaffordable.

2 Likes

I think Mulan is the Chinese market name for the MG4, and Triumph is the name for the twin motor version that may or may not appear.

:rofl:Yep, quite often when I need the wife’s Yeti it has the “I am about to run out of fuel” light on. Uncanny…

1 Like

0-100 *mph * in 3.8 seconds? I think not - even a 1500bhp Bugatti Chiron takes just under 5 seconds. 0-100 kph perhaps …

1 Like

MG Mulan is based on the Nebula EV platform and is claimed to do zero to 100 kmph in just four seconds ; boasts Level 3 autonomous tech and 5G connectivity.

In addition as it’s been mentioned.
Bugatti Chiron quoted at 2.3 seconds 0 to 60 MPH.
Which has basically reached the 0`60 time limit “probably”.

2 sec is the limit 0-60 due to traction on a non pre-prepared road surface …

explanation here…

2 Likes

And breathe!
I just cannot listen to that guy at all.
Terminal “listening fatigue” in 6 seconds flat.
Genius though he may be.

Hello and welcome… :joy:

Anyone considering buying a “modern” MG should take a look through the classifieds and check out the number being sold for spares/repairs, this should give a reasonable perspective on the model’s longevity. The Chinese non EV models don’t seem to fair too well and I can’t imagine the battery powered ones will be any better, so I just wouldn’t buy a Chinese MG and definitely not a battery one under any circumstances.
Of course if you regarding buying a car the same way you buy your white goods for the home and don’t care if it dies early, depreciates like a stone etc. then that’s a different matter.

There are many reasons not to buy Chinese cars, especially if they are made in Xinjiang province , but the success of Volvo and Lotus attests to their quality - to the extent that the latter no longer stands for 'lots of trouble , usually serious ’ . The Chinese even have a majority stake in Pirelli …

Some of the technicians that I meet work in dealerships where they have taken on the MG franchise, I’m yet to hear a positive comment about the brand from them.

1 Like

I am quietly confident that Volvo still makes a lot of the parts still in Sweden, Belgium (mine was built in Belgium) and other countries.
Also a large assembly plant in the USA.
It is also my understanding that quality control and design is still undertaken in Sweden as they have the huge plant still there.
Even though the Chinese actually own the group, that maybe just in name and financial input perhaps. :man_shrugging:
They acquired Volvo as the group in 2010, so some time ago now…….
Clearly, the Geely group will perhaps start taking more control as time goes by and indeed do build and export the S90 from China.

So for me I don’t think it’s fair to compare Volvo with MG as the set up is completely different in my opinion.

1 Like

I had heard it said locally to me ( there is an MG dealership close by) from a full time fitter / mechanic we know well…it’s the reworked/re-engineered running gear of elderly GM parentage, coupled especially to the hybrid stuff that keeps him busy…very.
They run “a small fleet” of courtesy cars while parts supply issues are addressed.
He says basically they are good enough cars let down by second division engine builds & leccys.
In short…4 wheeled cack.
Think on this.
All the Nippon Denso looms, ECU, and pop up lifters etc. in my 28 years old MK1 are still bob on.
Bar the usual window lifters, an injection loom, coil pack, radio mast, and boot light wiring which frayed with age it’s still all Hiroshima vintage 1993. What a good old soldier.
This is wholly remarkable. Same pretty much same story as 2002 Sport.
New Alt & coil packs from distant memory.

1 Like

I am lucky as I approach retirement new cars are of little or no interest to me. Four years ago I was given an 18 year old NBFL and I have decided once I am no longer capable of either throwing enough money at her to keep her on the road or am incapable of making a dignified entrance / exit I will hand in my licence and terrorize what ever neighbourhood I find myself in with one of those elecric buggy thingies with a shopping basket on the front designed for the infirm. Is the MG4 a significant car… sorry lost interest… but on a purely political note that would be a big no from me.

Reliability and practicality in the long term are unknowns. What we do know is that over the years batteries lose efficiency and storage capacity.

Fans of electric cars tell us they take less maintenance so here’s some food for thought.

If in a few years time a car that started out with a 300 mile range can only manage to hold enough charge to do 100 miles the price tag will be bargain basement money. That’s a great runabout for a lot of people. The vast majority of our journeys are within 50 miles of home.

1 Like

I wonder if we will end up with overhead pantographs in towns and cities like I distantly remember in Derby as a tiny child. Not trams on rails but electric buses. No need for heavy batteries to lug around.
Or magnetic lines buried in roads. A sort of upsidedown Maglev.

1 Like

The Polestars are made in China

Yep and according to the media the USA too. :+1:

1 Like