Missing SD card in Sat Nav

Hi there
I’m new to the forum, but hoping someone will have some advice on what i can do about the lame infotainment system in my MX5 Special Edition Graphite (62. reg). I purchased it literally the week before lockdown so haven’t used it anywhere near as much as I would have liked.

The problem I have is two fold, when I bought the car the SD card had been removed from the sat nav so I literally have no sat nav. As the system is quite dated I thought I would upgrade to an Android Auto system so I can use my phone for google maps, spotify etc. But I am literally drawing a blank, halfords say they can’t get the facia from Mazda to install a Sony or similar and the Mazda dealer had no idea how I could replace the system. The sat nav provider (I think it’s Tom Tom) had no idea how I could get a replacement SD card. I’ve tried 2 local Car Audio centres (pimp my ride stuff) and neither of them have got back to me.

Does anyone have any advice on either an SD card or even better getting the current unit replaced completely?

Thanks

try Mx5parts

cards on ebay

1 Like

Have a read of this thread:

1 Like

Hello and welcome from Nottinghamshire… Hope you can soon get your Sat-Nav issue sorted.
Just attaching this link for you, if you’d like to introduce yourself through the Welcome Area too…! :slight_smile:
Rob

1 Like

Hmmm, I might have a backup of my Sport Graphite from back in the day if I find it I’ll PM you. What colour did you get btw? I had the red one.

That would be amazing, thanks. I have a turquoise/blue one - I absolutely love it!

While I am digging around you might get some progress from here:

There is an update my device option, you’ll need to create a login. It maybe you can purchase an SD and download the latest version from Tom Tom.

( I’ve found my 25th AE backup but that’s a different device, I need to go deeper into my backups )

I also have the Sport Graphite in Aquatic Blue Mica, such a lovely colour and have kept my satnav maps updated year on year at a disgustingly expensive subscription of around £50 a YEAR for maps PLUS £55 a YEAR for Live services (which gives traffic and speed cameras)
The tom-tom link posted above is for a full Europe map, you can save money by selecting UK only or as I do, the Western Europe Map. Also, if you add a map to your basket and then hit the back button in the browser, it sometimes pops up a window offering 5% discount. They offer a single download of a UK map for £35 or with a years updates for an extra fiver.

As to the missing SD card, you should get a 8GB card (4GB is too small for updating subsequent maps), format it on your PC using FAT32 format.
Pop it in your car device and then turn the ignition key to 1st position. You should see an egg timer as the satnav initialises the card with your device’s ID info.
Turn the ignition off and remove the card.
On your PC you will need to install Tomtom HOME2 software and create an account (which you use when you buy a map).
Run tomtom home2 and log in to your tomtom account, insert the newly initialised SD card and you then need to associate the card / device with your account.
Once associated you should then be able to select “update my device” and download the newly purchased map.

You should have a USB socket in your glovebox where you can add a USB stick containing MP3s if you like this sort of thing. If you are interested let me know and I will update the thread with instructions for naming conventions etc for MP3s using this. Alternatively you can attach your mobile using the AUX socket to play music.

I have uploaded a copy of the manual for the device and you can download it here:

2 Likes

I can’t compete with this comprehensive help :slight_smile: Superb Captain

1 Like

I’m using Google Maps on my large screen phone mounted on the dash.
I stream music from the phone too.

THanks GB, I think I know these devices pretty well, it took Mazda 12 months and 6 head units to get the satnav and tomtom live to work in my car! Once it works its a good satnav because it allows detailed itineraries to be created (on a PC and uploaded to the sdcard) that I create for every club drive. I also find the music features using the USB stick pretty good once you have the right naming conventions.

Just want to thank everyone for all the responses, I’ve got loads to work with now. Ultimately I’d still like an android auto system but for now I have found the usb in the glove box (had no idea that was there) so should be able to connect my Ipod to that ok, and will give formating an SD card a go to download maps.
Thanks for all the advice and the links :grin: