Mk1 (NA) 1991 1.6 Classic Red - queries

Are we sure this is a UK car? As the paint has faded on the rear panel it could have had a UK panel fitted as a replacement for the Eunos one. That would explain the white area where the red has worn away around the key hole and the bad fit. It must have had some paint on the car as the front bumper has been de-badged so the holes have been filled and painted. Also the front plate doesn’t have the UK style mounting plate.

UK cars of that age never had a front badge. Has correct wheel centres. The style of plate holder seems correct for the age; the plastic one came out later. Registration indicates first used in UK in 1991, I would be confident this car doesn;t have a NA6CE VIN. And you’ll find the little difference such as wiper arms, heater controls, carpet, centre vents, under bonnet headlamp heatsink. Looking at the issue of STHT it was featured in (a lot of sill work) (the issue is online on the club site), its a UK car.

Looking at that article, I think they misassembed the lock. They repainted the the entire car and it looks like they might have taken off the finisher during that, and probably unbolted the lock, and forgot how it went back on.

Take off the boot carpet, and have a look (4 lift the centre clips)

Couple of other views

Here, the mounting piece has been ripped off

2 Likes

I will be sorting some on a J ltd i am rebuilding, i’ll do you a guide from it buddy.
Horrid bulbs to change.
M-m

I’ve got this…

I did wonder that about the rear panel too, and the lack of front badge until I found photos of older UK mk1’s without. My ‘96 has the eternal flame badge, not sure what they used before that, if anything. I’ll do the obvious and check the VIN today :grimacing: Would the V5 state Eunos?

That would be brilliant, thank you :blush:

The STHT article shows the car with the perio correct “Mazda” front bumper sticker. A nose badge was aded to UK cars until 1993 (and for a small number of the 14" daisy wheels, the centre cap was changed to display an eternal flame badge)

V5 could display anything, even UK cars (see thread in Ask the Chairman on OC membership numbers)

If its a JDM import, the obvious giveaway is the VIN starts NA6CE…

1990 press launch in Greece

1990 MCL press photo

Another one of the original UK launch cars

1990 Evo article

1 Like

I could spend hours looking at things like this and the development of the mk1!

1 Like

Have a look for the book ‘MX-5 Miata, the book of the world’s favourite sports car’ by Brian Long. A fascinating read.

1 Like

Thats fine…so long as you have a long straw to fit on the scooshy bit because you really really don’t want that stuff going AWOL over paint or glass. It won’t damage…it’s just a 'mare to get off.

1 Like

Depends on what you use to remove it Robin.
M-m

Yep it does have a straw with it :+1:

Sounds good, I just had a quick look - £84.99 on Amazon :flushed:

I’m blessed with 12 litre bottles of photograph quality Iso Alcohol which is great for glass, and of all things old school Windolene Pink Creme for gentle paint stain removal.
As you say it depends on what you use.

2 Likes

Used & slightly marked copies for 19.99 online but tbh I’m a book snob…no likee damaged goods.

1 Like

Ok so I’ve removed the boot liner and had a look at the lock mechanism… to my untrained eye this looks like it’s been mounted on the wrong side of the panel which roughly accounts for the depth that it’s sunken behind the outer panel?

Also gave her a clean today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m the same but £85 is a bit steep for me, I’m on bread and water while I’m getting little red riding hood fixed up :joy: I found some used listings so might go for one of those.

Thats a Bingo, as Hans would say.

They fitted up the panel without the lock, then realised they would have to remove it, risking cracking fresh paint. So they bodged it, and had someone with small hands fit the bolts. Panel has to come off, but it needs repainting anyhow.

But whats the little bit of a hole just appearing. They haven’t drilled another hole?

Might be worth seeing if there are any red UK panels out there in good nick. Might be cheaper than painting this one.

1 Like

Hint, you’re not missing much,

Same author, similar content. Paperback is £27. Hardback is loopy money.

£17

Some of these are cut n pastes.

From the article I didn’t get the impression they repainted the panel, only the rear wings and boot (article pic 39 shows it masked) but not sure why they wouldn’t have done it if that is the case. I’ll keep an eye out for a good panel :female_detective: