MK1 with a classic twist

Couple of photos of my Mk1. I’ve tried to restore it with a classic vib. Happy for comments.

24 Likes

Magnificent, loving the colour. Now that body colour should be offered by Mazda as an option. Interior contrasts very well too.
A credit to you.:+1:

2 Likes

Not for me. Imo, wire wheels and those old 60’s style door mirrors don’t really suit the MX5.

The stitched effect door cards are, for me, in much the same vein as the fake wood trims in some of the MX5 Ltd editions. Pretty awful.

Mazda liked 60s style mirrors.

And of course the Miari, Mazda’s 1994 tribute to the Monterey Historics, when Ferari was the featured marque, a bit of fun.

4 Likes

Car looks great IMO :+1: you must be proud of how it’s coming along :nerd_face: love the door cards, and the KGWorks extra gauges on the crash pad! Overall you’ve got a nice ‘nod’ to an earlier time. Having done similar to previous mk1’s including mesh wheels, (obviously not wire wheels) the overall look is very nice. Colour scheme is a great combination. Centre console delete is another nice touch too. Well done! Thing is, when undertaking this type of work, it will polarise opinion which must be respected, but it’s you car at the end of the day and if you’re happy, it’s a win :+1:

One of a few pics I could find of one of mine, can’t display as keep getting a msg saying not compatible :thinking:

https://www.mx5nutz.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=640,height=640,fit=scale-down//showcase/1991-eunos-roadster.498/cover-image?d=1623141490

Barrie

That’s beautiful.

A real credit to your work. I hope you’re enjoying it now it’s all done. I flipping love that paint colour! :grin::+1:t3:

Looks superb , excellent colour choice and great interior :+1:

I’d have that off you in two shakes…really lovely. Beautiful paint especially.
I’ve always hankered to do mine in the classic 50’s Aston green.
Next thing I’d have offski is that shovel on the front and those bloody alloys.
But you did ask!

Thanks for comments and appreciated we all have a different taste and preferences. Couple of clarifications, re the wheels they are Japan Racing ‘mesh’ wheels rather than wire wheels.

The colour is BMW Pepper White (a harp back to old English White)

I forgot a photo of the engine bay which is work in progress (please excuse the masking tape fill volumes and the odd hose clip that needs replacing)

A with reference to the interior, I taught myself some basic sewing machine techniques and have machined the interior additions myself.

J

10 Likes

Very clever person you!
Massive credit.

Love it :heart:
She’s a real belter :+1:
Are you going to the National rally next weekend? I’d love to see her in the flesh.

Good choice of colour. I think Japan used white as their racing colour didn’t they?
The spoked wheels look superb, almost as good as wires and personally I also like the mirrors. Tan/brown mohair roof next?

Tbh, if I was building an NA it would look much like this.
The interior suits the car to a tee with the quilted diamond door cards and tunnel padding. I wonder what a red interior would look like? Hmm​:thinking: Now you’ve got me thinking. Anyone have a cheap 1.6 for sale? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks for sharing your car. It’s a treat to see.

Cheers,
Guy

Hey there,
Thank you for sharing those pictures.
Great to see another well kept MK1, and yours is unique.
I love the colour combination, the wheels, the interior mods, but not those gauges nor the front spoiler. Just my opinion.
You can be proud!

I think you’ve done an excellent job.
Not sure about the front lower splitter thing, otherwise the exterior is great and as my wife’s Mini Cooper is Pepper White, I think your choice is creative.
Your interior is a real credit to you and the only thing I personally would change would be the alloy speaker surrounds on the door cards…I’d change those to the body colour to bring that element inside the car.

Otherwise…… :clap:

Not keen on the chrome wiper blades… as for the rest of it, love it!

Niceeeeee👍

Great job.

Looks great!

Exceptional! The only thing I don’t particularly like is the ‘quilted diamond’ look over the transmission tunnel, but it’s fine on the door cards. The steering wheel is lovely - what is it? Gauges are indeed important, ammeters / battery condition particularly. What range of gauges have you fitted? The black hood (for contrast) also looks good, matching the dashboard top and centre console, but if you are considering replacement in due course, beige would do (perhaps a bit insipid?) or a darker tan could be appropriate.

We have a 1991 Mk I which we absolutely love - I gave her to my wife about 6 years ago - but in the past, she’s been ‘adulterated’ with a vinyl wrap - now faded & peeling in small places. We’re wondering whether to sell her ‘as is’ to a good DIY ‘vinyl stripper’ to be re-painted in twin-pack, or to arrange this ourselves (no doubt, at great expense!) to what we’ve got, which is a terrific motorcar, enormous fun to drive with a very healthy engine and drive-train and solid (apparently), but who knows what lies beneath!
She’s recently passed new MOT (no advisories): advice, please, from any forum member: what should we do? Restore to best possible, or flog her to someone ready to undertake the paintwork restoration, take the cash, also sell our Mk 3 Icon and put all this + more to buy a superlative MK I???
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Perry.

Hi Perry,
You might want to start your own thread with those questions.

1 Like

Love the colour…but didn’t know why…until I read it was BMW pepper white…I have a BMW Mini same colour, but it looks far better on your MX5 !.. i suspect my Mini has a few more miles on it than yours (184k)

The colour of the interior is not to my taste, but the standard is great.

Love the wheels too.

Now get out there and enjoy it!