MK2.5 B6 Bilstein shocks or Coilovers

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2005 NBFL Icon
  2. I’m based near: Chesterfield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Which shocks I should use.

Hi there.

My 5 is still running the original shocks as far as I’m aware (no receipts from previous owners suggesting otherwise) and I think the time has come to replace them, as they leave a bit to be desired when it comes to ride quality.

My car currently has the standard shocks, but I was thinking of fitting the b6’s that came stock on the sport models. However, when pricing up shocks and springs, the cost was ~£900. For just £100 more, I could buy a set of adjustable BC racing coil-overs.

It’s a lot of money for a car that has relatively cheap parts, but I’m happy to spend it if it’s worth it. I’m leaning more towards the b6’s as I’ve heard from multiple people that coil-overs on UK roads aren’t great.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on if the additional cost of the b6’s is worth it over the standard shocks, or if I’d be best buying coil-overs instead.

Just for context, the 5 is my only car and a daily, although I intend to use it for occasional track use in the future.

Cheers.