Mk3 2006 outer plastic sills does someone know how to take them off

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk3 nc1
  2. I’m based near: liverpool
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: outer sill removel_

If you look along the very bottom of the sill there are 5 places that the sill locates on to. At those points the sill slides off rearwards but before that you need to release the following fastenings. One rivet type fixing at the front lip and one at the rear, just pop the centre’s out to release.
Then you need to release the 10 studs holding the upper part of each sill on, they are just like the door card clips. There are two studs towards the top part of the sill where it sweeps up to meets the rear wing, release these first then work your way down and along the sill towards the front, the clips are spaced out evenly.
A good few of these clips may break, you’ll need spares, 10 each side
After all the clips have been released you can then pull out slightly front and rear and it should slide off rearwards with some persuasion, maybe a tap from the front.

Refitting is obviously a reverse of removal, a bit fiddly trying to relocate on the bottom slide clips as it’s a bit flimsy. Just to add I didn’t need any of the lower clips, non had broken but I’ve linked to them below.

The clips required to refit, 10 each side.

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/mazda-side-skirt-clips-side-moulding-clips-g18k51sj3/

The bottom clips, 5 each side

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/plastic-trim-clips-for-mazda-side-skirts-sill-moulding-bp4l51sj3/

2 Likes

I’ve found an earlier post on this, a little more info and pics

Thanks very much for the
information Mickap
Best Regards
Mike.

1 Like

Hi Mickap
Just found that the vehicle clip company
Can’t supply the TOP ten clips they can’t get them thought ide let you know.

They are pretty much a standard clip, I used some door card clips on mine.

Ebay/Amazon or even Halfords, just match the hole size they fit, loads to choose from there if you are in need. Just to add you want the rubber sealing ring on them too.

not endorsing but this is where I get mine from vehicleclips.co.uk

I found that fitting all the clips to the trim part was much easier than trying to line up all those bottom edge clips at once… the bottom ones come off the car quite easily by pressing forward to release the rear tang on the back of the clip then popping it out.
Press the bottom ones home first, making sure the ends are in the right place, the work your way along the others & don’t forget the two odd ones at the arches.

1 Like