Mobile phone holder

1. My model of MX-5 is: __Mk2
  2. I’m based near: __Bearsted
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __a mobile phone holder.

I want to mount my mobile phone onto the top of the dashboard. My existing GPS holder is a suction type and always was window mounted on previous cars. However I’ve decided to rely on Google Maps on my phone. Two questions 1. Will a suction type adhere to the top of the dashboard? It has a grainy surface and my existing holder refuses to grip. I don’t want to glue or screw it to the dashboard top. Also 2. My mobile phone fits in a holder along with credit/debit/business cards so will be too fat for the ones I’ve seen on eBay. I’ll need a cradle/type which will grip the sides and bottom of the phone. What one would you recommend please?

I got this from Amazon for my phone. Works well on the screen (it never moves or falls off) and also has a vent holder.
It does show it on the dashboard but I haven’t tried it there as yet.
Have a look and see what you think👍🏻

The dash on my NC has a disc glued to it by the previous owner to provide a surface for a clip-on mount.
Snag: I can’t find a clip-on that fits, it’s too small for a sucker, and it’s in the wrong place, so I can’t use it!

For the first few weeks I was thinking of fitting a mount to the unused speaker grill and routing relevant wires up through it.
But for the last eight years a sucker on the windscreen behind the left end of the binnacle has been fine for a landscape display. It is also quicker to hide any evidence of a worthwhile asset and thus remove temptation.

I have a gel suction type with an extra lever for more suction and it does stick to the heavily textured dash.
The phone then clamps to the mount magnetically by means of a thin self-adhesive metal plate that you stick to the back of your phone. This could stick to the back of your case or go inside it.

Thank you. I’ve just been out to the car, between showers, to remind me of the problems. The existing GPS holder with it’s suction pad, won’t stick to the textured dash top. When fitted to the bottom of the windscreen, it’s too far away to make any adjustments to it. The male plug on the GPS is too bulky so I’d be cracking my knuckles when engaging 3rd and 5th gears. Hence my liking for the (Bulky) mobile phone although my wife tells me it might be expensive to use when driving in France (we’re off there in a fortnight). I have found a neat socket with a pair of USB ports which will do nicely so now need to search for a phone holder with a gel suction base. So gel suction cup and magnetic part? What make would that be. Currently wading through eBay but nothing quite fits the bill yet.

I would highly recommend Quadlock. It has a mount that really does not budge once installed. You do need to buy the Quadlock case for your phone as well in order to lock your phone onto the mount. The cases do come up on Ebay from time to time especially if you have an older phone. It is quite expensive but as they say buy well and buy once.
Here’s a link to Amazon:

1 Like

Will look up the maker and supplier for you.
I use Google maps now and download maps in advance over wifii in order to avoid using lots of data.
I apent two eeeks driving around Croatia in May and all within my normal usage, so no extra bills at [quote=“Paul_Narramore, post:5, topic:134436, full:true”]
Thank you. I’ve just been out to the car, between showers, to remind me of the problems. The existing GPS holder with it’s suction pad, won’t stick to the textured dash top. When fitted to the bottom of the windscreen, it’s too far away to make any adjustments to it. The male plug on the GPS is too bulky so I’d be cracking my knuckles when engaging 3rd and 5th gears. Hence my liking for the (Bulky) mobile phone although my wife tells me it might be expensive to use when driving in France (we’re off there in a fortnight). I have found a neat socket with a pair of USB ports which will do nicely so now need to search for a phone holder with a gel suction base. So gel suction cup and magnetic part? What make would that be. Currently wading through eBay but nothing quite fits the bill yet.
[/quote]

all

Thank you (PS Are you in the Job?)

When I brought my “5” it had a red disc stuck to the dash. I was going to remove this and fit a trusty Brandt holder, however, the fixing point for this in the 5 is not good, so I use the red disc with a cheap adjustable arm off ebay (with suction grip one end and cradle which grips side and bottom on the other end).

I summary don’t dismiss sticking a flat disc to the dash, it works great.

1 Like

The manufacturer is Olixar

I took a risk and tried this CD mount phone holder. It comes with a phone holder and also a magnetic option.
I’m using the magnetic option, so far very happy. No slips or falling, nice n secure, even over bumps/corners

Presumably this obscures both the CD slot and the radio?

1 Like

I went for a CD slot mount on my NC too, the one branded ‘CD Slot Mount’. It’s rock solid even with the weight of a Magsafe charging mount for my iPhone and my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It comes with the standard grabby mount you see on the website.

It will inevitably cover part of the radio but using the side ball helps reduce this and get the phone closer to you. Easy enough to take out to replace a CD but I use an FM transmitter.

It does, but I don’t use the CD or radio. Mostly use Music and apps (incl. Maps)

I use a Bluetooth adapter to stream via aux - no cables hanging around.

Im going to use the spare backing pad onto my old iPad mini. Will look pretty good I think.

Prefer this versus one on windscreen - less obstruction to view and a bit less reflection.

I used to use complex phone mounts. I’ve now switched to a vent mount. It comes with a magnet to put on the back of your phone inside the case. The mount is small, my phone magnetically sucks to it instantly. There is no going back to messing around with suckers.

I got something like this. They cost less than a tenner.

I tried several clamps but none of them quiet worked well enough. I was recommended one of these and I find they work quite well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073T6H9CL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much the same as mine. Also recommended by @Bettabuilda.

1 Like

In the end I went with the Olixar phone mount. I then ordered a power cable but then discovered a whole host on tiny plugs. It seems I need a cable with a USB Type ‘A’ at one end and a Lightning plug at the other end so I’ve got to send the wrong cable back and ask for a replacment. Sometimes its so much easier to go into town, visit a shop and speak to an expert.Nearly there. PS Yesterday the passenger side ss kicking plate fell off. It looks like one sold by MX5parts. There are about 5 or 6 metal tabs glued to the underside to the ss plate, and each had failed. Now reglued using the toughest adhesive I already have.

1 Like

If you have storage space on your mobile phone, I recommend Maps.me which is an app whereby you download the maps covering the areas you need: then you have no roaming cost. It’s free and works well as a satnav though without live traffic info. I also use it here when there’s no signal.