Motorists demand new noise cameras to stamp out ‘boy racers’ despite risk of

For those want louder pipes beware
Looks like they are finding another revenue source

He be fair, I hate really loud exhausts is annoying. But 74db seems a bit low

3 Likes

If a car passes track levels and VOSA levels doubt a camera / audio capture at 15m can pick up 74db doppler effect. Same as ulez and now all the “its to loud crew” will hop on the juststop band wagon. These cameras will be around long stretchs where lambos or fez come over for certain periods

1 Like

Hmmm… my Blitz is rated at 86db. But its not that loud (standard is 83db) as i dont really thrash the car… very rarely go above 4000 rpm lol.

1 Like

Everything petrol powered is going to seem loud once the electric cars takeover. Who decides what is excessive :thinking:

1 Like

This new game is farcical at best.

I have a friend who is in the lucky enough position to be able to run a McLaren LM720

The car is as it came from the factory.

He has now had 4 letters informing him that his car has failed the trial noise camera tests and that he is likely to get points and a substantial fine when they go live.

2 Likes

Its not news, just recycled information. Don’t give this any more attention it already got.

…Drivers want to see cameras that can automatically detect vehicles with illegally loud exhausts or whose engines are revved unnecessarily rolled out across the UK, according to new RAC research.

Six-in-10 drivers (58%) questioned by the RAC said…

bring it on I say. I love a decent sounding exhaust, but living on a busy road as I do over the last few years the level of noise from just a few has got beyond a joke. it not so much the overall loudness but the popping and banging, and when you get that at all hours of the day and night its just not funny, its about as antisocial as you can be I reckon. What’s happened is a very tiny minority have taken it to extremes with remaps and then spoilt it for the rest of us. The noise is not the result of a making a car drive any better, its noise just for the sake of it, and all good at a show, or on track (if they allow it!) but not driving past someone’s home a 3.00am in the morning and giving it the full beans to make it as loud as possible.
It’s actually the last desperate dying call of the infernal combustion engine, its days are numbered, but its going out with a bang, quite literally… :rofl:

Grumpy old man hat now off… :smiley:

3 Likes

Exactly my pet hate too - I can’t stand these stupid pop & bang maps that are currently popular.

1 Like

Console yourself with the probability each time it pops or bangs another little bit of cat is vaporised. Expensive MOT fail looming as just desserts.

1 Like

However, with some simple maths the doppler effect can be used to calculate the vehicle’s speed.

If one assumes the speed is constant, multiple samples can even allow working out where the camera is with respect to the vehicle.

If camera position is known and the road is narrow then with multiple samples the speed profile can be plotted!

No radar needed. Camera looks at the driver to prove who the offender is, and a microphone listens; an app on a modern mobile phone is capable of doing this simple maths.

1 Like

Won’t be too long before there’s a citizen noise reporting app like the speed camera one (Android only - link) that has recently appeared.

https://speedcamanywhere.com/

1 Like

Just remember everything “we” (motorists) give in to, the more ways the government will manipulate and try find ways to tax us. Whether thats “saving the environment” or “noise pollution” or emissions or simply the fact you own a car you will have to pay some tax for the privilege of ownership. God heavens you would want to actually use the car and burn old dinosaurs…

2 Likes

My cycle helmet already has a camera to catch wicket motorists who travel at or less than 1.49999m away from me. Have I got to have a GATSO and sound device bolted on as well?
Didn’t know being an unpaid Stasi vigilante was going to be this involved.

2 Likes

Germany has gone crazy installing these noise cameras on popular driving / biking routes.

A group of protesting bikers sat under one of the cameras just out of camera view.
As granny in her 1.0 nissan micra drove passed they would rev their engines to activate the camera.

I would love to see the faces of some of the drivers ticketed - haha

3 Likes

we need to show this to someone with a pop and bang map…

1 Like

It is akin to 20 limits, which I am sure would never have happened if drivers obeyed the 30 limit . Most cars are very quiet, but a small minority are very loud but legal (eg Jaguar F Type , AMG Mercs , M2-6 BMWs , any Lamborghini and hotter 911s ) and a smaller minority are even louder but illegal .

The question any driver with a shred of commonsense needs to ask is this ’ To what extent should my enjoyment of my loud car be balanced with the need not to annoy other people , and ‘/or sometimes actually to frighten them ?’

I have zero time for idiots in daft cars like the Lamborghini Urus keeping people awake in the early hours . Even less time for the crazy popping and banging from some aftermarket mapping which terrifies pedestrians and literally scares the horses . Even the notionally legal Jag F Type V8 makes an utterly ridiculous racket , presumably so the Pringle clad driver can exercise his inner 11 year old on the way to the golf club .

The fact I wear hearing aids is entirely due to my love of loud racing cars and dragsters . I adore the sound of a howling V12 in an old Ferrari F1 car or the thundering big block V8.in a ProMod . But not everyone does - and that is why serious , attention seeking noise belongs to the track or the strip.

1 Like

No need :joy:
(Although its extremely suttle :sweat_smile:)

“It is akin to 20 limits, which I am sure would never have happened if drivers obeyed the 30 limit”

Obey! As far as I’m aware the arbitrary 30mph limit is justified by death statistics above and below the limit, formulated when cars weighed a ton. EV’s have rendered the 30mph limit obsolete. 20mph is still too fast for a 2-ton EV. Await the 15mph limits for they are a-coming. Obey!

“The question any driver with a shred of commonsense needs to ask is this ’ To what extent should my enjoyment of my loud car be balanced with the need not to annoy other people , and ‘/or sometimes actually to frighten them ?”

Don’t the police and local authorities have enough powers to combat anti-social behaviour? Or are they too busy browsing the internet for supposed hate speech, a lazy option made easier by a seemingly endless queue of sanctimonious do-gooders only too willing to act as unpaid vigilantes - invariably against the wicked motorist. We’re treading a dangerous path. Noise monitors will just become another tool of state control, enforcing the take-up of EV’s.

The good news is that moral will improve when the beating stops. :facepunch: :+1:

Many vehicles weighed much more than a ton before EVs, and many IC vehicles are similarly heavy .

My intention was certainly not to talk about how police forces or local authorities work - by all means have the conversation , but not with me, thanks .

My point was a simple one - I believe that drivers of very loud cars have a responsibility not unreasonably to disturb others , nor to cause avoidable distress by making maximum noise in places , and /or at times when this effect is foreseeable . And if the culprits persist , I would support action being taken against them . I will give one example of why - a year or so ago my wife was in hospital recovering from an operation . She was exhausted but got no sleep . Why ? Because a bunch of brats in cars with very loud exhausts , with added pops and bangs were amusing themselves until 4am in the service roads of the estate where the hospital was located…

If I had been there I would probably have done something stupid - she phoned the police who expressed themselves powerless to act. So some powers just might be in order , unless it is felt that people should have a right to behave like dickheads .

Second example - en route to Silverstone for a race meeting I was working at I was caught up in a queue for Japfest . It was before 7am on a Sunday in a residential area . Despite . or because of this, the knuckle dragging brat in the Nissan GTR behind me amused himself by holding the damn thing on the rev limiter and then backing off to a cacophony of bangs . And … repeat .

If I’d lived there I fear I’ d have put a brick through his windscreen …

1 Like