Musicals...Love Them or Hate Them?

Well because I’ve been working through all my musical cassettes to donate to animal charity and replacing with CDs I’ve had to listen to many twice [outgoing cassettes and new CDs]

The Musicals have affected me for different reasons so I thought I’d start a Thread that MX-5’er may be interested in

OK…Only One Rule…Just Say WHY the Musical/Track/Line of a Song has affected you

Personal Examples:

West Side Story Track: Dear Officer Krupke! [because I’m a Jack of All Trades/Master of None but mainly Criminal Justice…Police/Probation/Prisons…and this song describes the craziness of the Criminal Justice System]

Gilbert & Sullivan ‘Trial By Jury’…was in a production of this as a teenager and can still remember all the words and sing along badly…[yeah go mature person]

Monty Python Sings…playing right now [Musical Spamalot?] …so many favourite lines…best so far

‘Donated my body to science…but I’m afraid they turned it down’

Enjoy

PS…Bonus I’ve noticed listening to Musicals is they get me creaky bones dancing in spite of themselves…who needs the Gym etc…just play a musical and your body can’t help its self :smiley:

Some… Daughter #1 used to go to dance classes at the school that supplied children for the cast of Panto and Touring shows etc… as a consequence spent many hours waiting at the stage door for pickups or sitting in the ‘gods’ for shows with ‘comped’ tickets.

I think I like less the Lloyd Weber musicals having endured many aspects of them, very interesting to hear how pre-teen children viewed the principal actress in the touring show of Evita, naming no names (on the radio somewhere regularly) and did not come across well back stage.

Modern musicals in the last couple of years, Drifters Girl (with Beverly Knight) was excellent as was Bat Out of Hell: The Musical.

Daughter No 1 …Wow…Impressive [Come on… you know you were secretly proud :grin:]

Concur re ‘un-named actress’ but was too busy being googly eyed about Antonio Bandaras in Evita to notice :rofl:

Haven’t seen Drifters Girl [but Beverly Knight …what’s not to like] or ‘Bat Out of Hell’ …but you know that Meatloaf was in the Musical

The Rocky Horror Show

So…I knew this thread would be a challenge to the Chaps…but guess what…the majority of Musicals were written by men

So come on guys show your softer side…It’s Christmas after all :grinning:

I love all of West Side Story, most of South Pacific and lots of G&S – I guess that dates me!

David

1 Like

Yep…You and Me Both :joy:

But I think many of these musicals are timeless so folk who haven’t listened to them may be don’t recognise that songs/lines have originated from Musicals

So do you have a favourite song/line from West Side Story and Why [already shared mine]

My favourite from South Pacific is ‘Honey Bun’ because it makes me want to sing and dance

And as for G&S…crumbs so many [Perhaps should have gone for a Policemans Lot is Not a Happy One as ex Criminal Justice]

But Which is Your Choice and Why :grinning: :handshake:

Looong coach journey back from Harrogate convention, a few husbands scattered amidst a ladies barbershop chorus, and it was hissing down outside and I was so glad I was not driving. We watched DVDs on the screens instead.

The chorus enjoyed belting out all the songs in both Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain with appropriate feeling and much laughter, but fortunately there was not quite enough time to finish Mary Poppins.

My last coach journey with that lot…

I’d have struggled with that coach journey too Richard FX :zipper_mouth_face:

BUT you can’t help respect Gene Kelly professionalism because he did ‘Singing in the Rain’ with a high temperature and was pretty unwell

And you’d only really enjoy the Morecombe & Wise Spoof of ‘Singing in the Rain’ if you’d seen the original musical. Ditto… ‘Nothing Like a Dame’ from South Pacific with Newcasters…It’s funnier if you’ve seen the original Musicals

So…maybe…Musicals…OK…in short doses…otherwise too suggery/emotional ?

My late Dad RAF Sqn Ldr [Stand By Your Beds/Spic n Span/Turn the Other Check/Stiff Upper Lip etc]

Would insist on us watching musicals as children…so go figure that contradiction !

It’s 2023 chaps…and to be fair…most of us can’t be identified as individuals unless we so choose so why not let your hair down

Have to say not a fan of musicals. Would rather pull my teeth out with rusty pliers. Once went to that London to see Hairspray. Fell asleep. Something to avoid at all costs.
Can appreciate why people enjoy them. Not for me,thankyou

And then me late Military Dad on retirement joined the Amateur Dramatic Society …Singing …didn’t see that one coming
But perhaps he was Wise Man ahead of his time because it’s now been demonstrated that singing combats dementia for starters
So the Rule of Fight Club…oops Another Rule for the Thread…is what is Posted on This Thread…Stays on This Thread

So you’ve not enjoyed John Travolta in Hairspray or…more importantly in Grease the Musical

Greased Lightening :notes:

“Well this car is automatic, systematic…we’ll get some overhead lifters etc”

Gotta be one of the songs to motivate any MX-5 'er doing restorations etc me finks :grinning:

PS…‘Greased Lightening’ …some awful lines but guess I was just focused on the idea of a rebuild

Mary Poppins…Best Track for Me was the haunting ‘Feed the Birds’ …and that is precisely what I am able to do now since loss of Suzi Q cat in June [every cloud has a silver lining] :smiley:

Ah, I’ve always suffered from that problem. Theatre, cinema, living-room, warm, dry, comfortable and inactive; the lights go down, soon followed by my eyelids.
Apparently I can’t snore in tune…

EDIT
And in boring Section Meetings when I was still a “worker,” or anytime sitting at the PC if no music playing on it

Glad its not just me

You are probably quite right!

I cant choose: I like them all. This was the first musical that I saw that I found realistic. It affected me greatly because of that. Tonight and I feel pretty.

From this, of which I had the movie version LP, maybe There is Nothing Like a Dame and Im gonna wash that man right outta my hair!

Invidious to have to select. Yes, A Policeman’s Lot, and from The Mikado, A More Humane Mikado…. (I have conducted this show – great fun!)

Best,

David

1 Like

I am always liking Guys and Dolls, partly because of uniquely flavoured Runyonese dialogue exclusively in “present tense”, reading more than somewhat his uniquely idiosyncratic stories while I am at school.

YES! “Sit down, you’re rockin the boat!”

David

Not a masssive fan of musicals for no particular reason, back in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s one of my exes worked on all the big west end shows making costumes and sets and I never saw any of them.

Only saw the film version of the Rocky Horror Show which has so many great songs, ‘it’s astounding time is fleeting madness takes it toll’ being a particular favourite lyric because it has always seemed so very apt and is still contemporary today.

There is one musical that will stay with me until the day I die, that is Mama Mia. Even though she had not been concious for a week it is the last thing I played for Mum on DVD before she passed away. Thank you for the music Mum !

2 Likes

Excellent David :joy: :hugs: :saluting_face: [Conducting]

Concur with all your choices :+1:

It’s kinda scary to start a thread and I nearly shut it down…how wrong could I be…but phew…glad I didn’t cos it seems to be up and running now and me finks folks need some joy that you can get from Musicals after all the doom and gloom …but guess I’m a bit biased !

Thank you David