MX-5"NE" To Be Unveiled.....!

Well not exactly…! But I think we all agree that the MX-5 in pure petrol naturally aspirated versions time must be numbered… So firstly was must take care of ours for the longevity of the wonderful MX-5…! If the “NE” is made, wouldn’t it have to be a hybrid of full-electric? Or can our favourite roadster continue to break the mould and use the Green Pump only…? Any thoughts…?!

If you look at the current annual worldwide sales, there are probably about 20,000 - 30,000 annual sales. Last year there were about 6,000 in Europe, but that was a difficult year for all manufacturers. The current petrol cars will fall in number as emmissions targets make it more difficult. Certainly in Europe the current car is really doomed as Mazda cannot sell many with a high CO2 output as it will face increasing fines. the other main markets for the car are the USA and Japan.

For Mazda, it can really only bring a new car out if it is either a hybrid or a full electric car. For a full electric, it would need to share many components and as it is not making any other electric cars at the moment (other than the CX-30, which cannot reasonably share many parts), I cannot see this being a priority. The main sellers will surely be launched first - like a small hatchback (like the new Honda e). There could be some exchange of parts then.

I would guess that we will see the current ND carry on for a couple of years at least with minor revisions. A hybrid has challenges for weight and packaging and the current car would not have space for at least a small battery I would guess.

In the meantime I have bought a new ND (expected delivery 13th March) as there will not be as many around.

I hope that they can continue the MX5 model line, but the cars will be different from now - they have no way of making them light and small - MX5 fundamentals, unless there is a very restricted range, but as a “fun” car, that may be the way to go.

It will be interesting to see, but Mazda are a bit different to other manufacturers, but have to find their way forward to continue to make good cars that will sell in reasonable numbers and make money, as electric investment is not cheap.

4 Likes

Very much agree with your comments… I’m glad to have got my 2018 ND2 2litre 184 last July.
I was impressed with the internal modifications that Mazda made to the 2 litre engine, to make it suit the character of the car - I imagine you can hardly wait for yours to arrive! Mine is certainly a “keeper” because the course of motoring will change no doubt…

1 Like

This is an interesting topic.
Would an all electric MX-5 be able to retain it’s character I wonder?
A company called ZeroEV recently ran a YouTube series where they converted an NB to all electric.
They managed to keep pretty close to original weights and balance with similar performance from the smallish battery pack but at the cost of range.
It can be done but would it be sufficiently MX-5?
I suspect that we will all have to go electric eventually.
On a side note, I wonder how many years of petrol powered motoring we’ve got left?
All of the time and effort we expend to keep our cars on the road and it might all be for nought…

I am certainly eager to get my car - I sold an NA in January and have not even driven an ND yet, but it seems to be what I am looking for - ie fun and a convertible (I like roof down motoring!)

One of the decisions was down to knowing that it will not be long before you probably cannot get an MX5 - a lot of cars have been discontinued and I want a new car that I can keep before the option is taken away.

I know Tesla tried to make a roadster out of the Lotus Elise and it was a very different car, it lost its original traits - but technology is advancing quickly.

1 Like

I drove a couple of Tesla Roadsters and I think it’s unfair to say it lost all its traits. It was still fun but back then batteries hardly added lightness. It was three times the price of an Elise and not as good. The new roadster (0-60 in 1.9) will be a hypercar killer.
I’ve only had my NB a month or so and we’ve hardly had the weather to enjoy it, but I love it.

3 Likes

The Zero-EV was about the same weight as an MX5 and had a 50 50 weight balance, and used mostly MX5 parts. The shortcomings were range and top speed. The top speed could be sorted by adjusting the gearing, and the range was said to be 100 miles or so (real world).

New battery technology would suggest that battery power density will double so if that comes to pass, it would suggest a range of 200 miles. Also, with Mazda doing the development, they would be able to put in fast charging, making it a very nice car - worthy successor.

I hope they do bring out such a car - price might be a problem.

As an aside, Zero EV have gone very quiet about it - I wonder why? Are Mazda talking to them?

This was addressed back in 2019 by TopSpeed.
With Mazda facing tougher emissions targets it will have to introduce some form of electrification across the range. It has already had to ditch some engines and models just to get the averages down. I reckon the next MX5 will be some sort of hybrid just to meet targets. The major problem will be weight.

Mazda Is Looking To Electrify the Next-Gen MX-5 Miata, But It’s not As Simple as it Sounds (topspeed.com)

Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery technology we are chasing down the same dead end route we followed with diesel. Hydrogen will still be a better long term fuel. Mazda have a wankel engined range extender that will run on petrol or hydrogen. Rumour is that a range extender MX-30 might be on the car using petrol. Now a hydrogen wankel MX-5 would sound interesting!

Battery powered cars are not the answer. We need Hydrogen or maybe a petrol substitute of some kind to be developed. The manufacturers are being pushed down the EV dead end by governments and environmentalists own narrow agenda as at present it is a more easily achievable end of the petrol and diesel engines that they hate.

2 Likes

I fully agree - the Governments are pushing EV’s but they re an environmental disaster with all the batteries and rare metals used, but at the point of use they are ok.

However whilst Honda are using hydrogen at the moment, there are additional issues with using this as a fuel. Mainly production of hydrogen is energy rich and storage is an issue due to the small size of the atoms - they will effectively escape through most containers. I did hear that if you had a full tank of hydrogen, it would all be gone in a week as it will have escaped.

Any alternatives for the MX5 will take away the relative cheapness and the fun. Electric cars seem to use performance as a selling point. A sub 2 second 0-60 is not the same as revving a small petrol engine to 7,000rpm to get anywhere. The MX5 is about fun at all speeds and working for the performance.

I do not see any viable alternatives to the ND any time soon… although I hope I am wrong!!

2 Likes

Turbos, why didn’t Mazda use them?

Many manufactures did smaller engines, I.E Honda do a 3 cylinder 998cc Turbo engine with 130hp/20nm of torque. This seems to allow manufactures to beat the emissions regulations.

Surely a little 1400cc turbo engine in a MX5 could hit 180-200hp without too much trouble and be compliant with the law.

Isn’t that a Fiat Spyder?:thinking:

Yeah you’re right, I believe the engine is Fiat’s 1.4 multi jet one though, 1.4T 160hp,

I’d hope Mazda could make something with a bit more hp, closer to 200 and use their own engine.

I think they’ve stopped making the Fiat Spyder now…

There is some interesting info regarding a possible electric platform in Mazda’s Q2 results linked here:

(Note the image highlighted in the second post of the thread)
@ast also had comments similar to @Snelly’s here:

And speaking of the Fiat 124…

Enjoy the reading if you haven’t seen those topics before! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FCA is now owned by PSA so all new FCA cars will be on PSA platforms and engines, the same as VX/Opel

I agree re hydrogen power and noticed an interesting comment in a Wikipedia article about Mazda ie

“In May 2015, the company signed an agreement with Toyota to form a “long-term partnership”, that would, among others, see Mazda supply Toyota with fuel-efficient SkyActiv gasoline and diesel engine technology in exchange for hydrogen fuel cell systems.[35]

Hydrogen Wankel could be a possibility :crossed_fingers:

I doubt it. Fuel cells are all about converting hydrigen into electricity.

Anyhow, its possible Mazda oversold the efficiency of “Skyactiv”, so Toyota might decide they were sold a pup, and diesel has zero future in cars.