MX-5 Rental Tenerife

Anyone done so, experiences to share?

being able to rent an mx5 out there would be fantastic.

it would absolutely make the drive up the mountain a lot better

Managed to book one from Tuesday for 3 days, will report back.

I’m guessing that you will be on the dry side of the island where it will be top-down all the time.
however, if you’re planning to go to the other side of the island the green side, and visit Loro park say (nice day out that, the parrot show is a lot of fun) then be prepared for very sudden and very heavy rain showers!

I got hit by one in a Vauxhall Corsa whilst on the way to Loro park and it wasn’t fun. fortunately, it was fairly short

1 Like

Agree, been around the island a few times in totally forgettable cars so for a little bit extra the MX-5 will be fun.

Just come back two days ago from Las Americas noticed 3 nice tidy NB’s driving around near the Hard Rock Cafe area,

1 Like

that’s where my parents had a time-share apartment!
I went there with my dad a couple of times after mom died.
very nice place.

2 Likes

Used to go in the early 90’s when heavy drinking partying in Veronica’s was my thing it was an horrible place the following morning. Always said i would never take the family but leaving Veronica’s behind lots of things to see and do and lovely places to eat and drink covering all budgets. Stayed by the Hard Rock area so wallet took an hammering with my daughter surrounded by designer shops and Wife surrounded by expensive restaurants bars.But worth it after missing the last few years holidays due to Covid.

We have an ND 1.5+, almost equivalent to the UK SportNav spec so 2018/19 ish, 71,000 Km (about 45,000 miles), quite battered and bruised though still drives perfectly.

Great for the roads here and possibily one of the only rental MX-5’s on Tenerife.

Missing splitter.

Damage

Scratches galore

I must admit I always get the smallest cheapest hire car we can get away with when visiting places like Tenerife. For me there is a certain charm about buzzing around in a little city car for a couple of weeks! My personal favourite was a little Chevrolet Matiz in bright yellow when we spent a couple of weeks in Rhodes. I mean, sure it was a bit **** but that was it’s charm. The yellow perril even made its way into some of the holiday snaps :stuck_out_tongue:

Now though my choice is pretty much dictated by whatever AutoReisen offer as they are by far the least stressful and most common sense rental company I’ve dealt with anywhere in the world.

All that said I’m sure top down driving over there must feel pretty special.

Blimey. :frowning_with_open_mouth:
Hope it was cheap!

Just…don’t…

2 Likes

feeling very jealous right now!!!

it must be wonderful cruising around the back roads of the island with the top down!

1 Like

We go to Tenerife every year. Very rare to see an MX5 there. I did see 2 ND’s in March this year. Rental company Cicar have Fiat Spiders for rent but the price for car hire in the island has rocketed and parking is a big problem to find a vacant space ,unless you are away from the coast.

It is, we did this today (Buenavista to Santiago) epic in an MX-5, glad we did this, driving in Tenerife just reinforces the perfect balance the 1.5 brings to the party.

Factor 500 and a hat… :grinning:

1 Like

oh, you are on the green part of the island then?

No, the South, near Los Abrigos/Airport, came back that way from Loro Parque, round about way as you do in an MX-5… :grinning:

1 Like

having driven mine round the lake district on a hot summers day all i can say is thank god for the roof and working aircon trust me its lovely for the first 30 min then its like sitting in a gold fish bowl way too hot we ended up with the roof up back window down and the ac on to make it bearable

You’re not really made for a convertible,are you!?

oh definatly am i just dont like being baked alive lol maybe if we could have driven faster and got a bit more airflow we would have been ok most of the time it was 30mph and thats not good for getting air in to cool you down