MX-5e (electric MX-5 NA)

We are now a family with three MX-5s! !:slightly_smiling_face:

Having fully restored Yoko (1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6) with my son Ethan, we have embarked on a much bigger project to collaboratively build an Open-Source Sports EV (OSSEV) from scratch - https://www.ossev.info

As part of this project we are converting our newly acquired black 1992 Eunos Roadster 1.6 Automatic to electric power using the 220kW/295bhp/330Nm Tesla SDU. This MX-5e will be to learn about building an EV and will also be our test platform for developing and testing parts planned for the OSSEV - OSSEV - Mazda MX-5 EV Conversion

The plan is to transform this car into something that is faster, lighter and more involving to drive. It also means we will be developing a load of new components that should fit any NA MX-5 or Eunos.

You can follow progress or get involved via the OSSEV Facebook group: Open-Source Sports Electric Vehicle (OSSEV) | Facebook

17 Likes

Just wondering if Ethan could qualify for Prince’s Trust support being less than 25 YOA.
Perhaps a professional profile on his issues could from a case worthy of consideration.
It could if lucky add a certain attraction out there.
And, have a go at the likes of Petronas Merc, Jag, Williams, and Red Bull.
What’s to lose? They are all, after all, heavily invested in leccy stuff.
I’m sure you have all thought of that?
“No” wont hurt as much as a kick in the nuts department.

4 Likes

We will also be selling off any spare MX-5 / Eunos parts in the project shop, to raise funds to progress the project further: Open-Source Sports Electric Vehicle (OSSEV) - Projects

This is likely to include most of the interior, automatic gearbox, exhaust parts, etc.

2 Likes

Request to join the Facebook group sent. Love what you and Ethan did with his Mk1. This one will be even more interesting. Wishing you all the luck in the world. Plans all look very well thought out but hey, still need to have a bit of luck along the way. :grinning:

2 Likes

Amazing. I will watch this post grow. I hate the thought of ditching the MX but really want to go electric. Good luck with this!

3 Likes

Sounds great, I shall follow with interest.

Reminds me that Zero EV did something similar a couple of years ago. Seemed to perform very well!

2 Likes

We were stripping out the interior of the car today and found this Japanese coin. I’ve been told it was put in the car at the factory for good luck. It is part of the car’s history and will be staying inside the car.

9 Likes

Pax side under carpet perhaps?

Some debate over whether they are added in the factory or whether previous owners place them there. They only seem to be found in JDM cars such as the Eunos. That would seem to add weight to the previous owner argument. Would seem unusual if the polite and honourable Japanese manufacturer were to add good luck charms only to cars for Japan.

3 Likes

They are added at the factory for the JDM roadsters only for good luck.
M-m

2 Likes

Certainly when I lifted the carpets to find my coin, it was clear I’d been the first in there since 1993 judging by the dust & micro-detritus.
It will be given to the car’s new owner this Autumn.

2 Likes

All I found was the decomposed remains of a mint humbug embedded under my carpet. Had to dissolve it with boiling water to get it out.

Does 70% of our electricity still get generated by fossil fuels? Multiply that by how much heavier the EV’s are and then by a similar amount to reflect their 0-60 in 2.5 seconds performance and I suspect that their carbon footprint will be bigger than my 40 mpg 2.0 MX-5.

Haven’t added in the additional brake dust going into the atmosphere and the carbon footprint of new car production and components in China - the biggest industrial polluter on the planet. That’s a discussion for another day.

3 Likes

Hi M-m - did this continue past the NA? Basically might my 2003 JDM NBFL import have the same, and if so where would I look?

2 Likes

There is an EV special interest group that has recently been set up in the Lotus and Caterham Seven Club. There have also been a series of articles in the club’s magazine by someone who is in the process of electrifying an old Caterham. Possibly worth you thinking about joining that club too - I would guess there is a lot of commonality with your project and potentially scope for knowledge sharing.

3 Likes

We already have a load of highly experienced people on-board with the project, many have already completed an EV conversion. Open-Source Sports Electric Vehicle (OSSEV) | Facebook

Rob

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re all sorted for Es and whizz (to paraphrase). Good luck :+1:

All the JDM roadsters got them to -date .
It’s a tradition for Thier country bud.
M-m

3 Likes

Removed the soft top and frame, to gain access to the rear interior. The soft top had not been fitted correctly! It should sit inside the rain gutter but was installed against it. :roll_eyes:

Had the whole front of the car off to check for rust. Amazingly very little present. Only had tow bolts shear all day! :rofl:

Eventually, the whole lot will be removed for the respray but for now we are treating underneath and preparing the car for the MOT.

Good progress being made :sunglasses:

The front of the car is pretty much done and now painted, ready to go back together. It is really time consuming taking the front bumper down to its constituent parts but, it is the only way to treat the rust properly.