MX5 MK4 ND wanted (Private buyer)

Yes looking for soft top, have called this one but never been serviced since new in 2018!.
But its only done 5000 miles, would it put you off?

Effectively it’s missed oil changes based on time intervals and not mileage, and would also be due a brake fluid change now too… Theoretically there shouldn’t be a problem and it does look like it’s been used only in fair weather… I would consider it but might be looking to take a little off the price because it will need a service and must be getting nearer to it’s first MOT.
Will be interesting to see what other MX5er’s think… I was lucky to find a nice low mileage one but it had had it’s first servece but only a couple of months away from 2nd one being due…!

Rob

Good man. It’ll always bug you if you didn’t and prices looks set to remain strong so shouldn’t lose much, if any. I would focus a lot on the paintwork as it’s really thin. Depending on the colour, rectification can cost a hell of a lot of money! Servicing wise, the engines seem pretty solid and require minimal maintenance in comparison to your BMW. ND2 should have some warranty remaining as well so that’s a reassurance.

The remaining manufacturer warranty would possibly or more than likely be voided so if you do decide to go ahead I would factor that in to the equation.
:heart:

1 Like

Motorpoint called me back, it did have full service history (Just they didn’t have the records, but they got them from Mazda) , So I’ve agreed a deal and paid a deposit.
They are shipping it up to me, I get to inspect and test drive before completing the sale.
But I’m not expecting any problems, its has been described by them as being “as new” and has less than 5000 miles on the clock.
Its my favorite colour (although I also really like soul Red).
I’ll post pics when its at home!.
Thanks for everyone’s input.
Darren

7 Likes

Top man, congratulations.

Great stuff Darren… Service record would be digital with Mazda and if the previous owner didn’t pass on previous receipts, you’d not know it’s history…
Look forward to reading more about it and seeing pics once it arrives with you… :slight_smile:
Certainly looks very nice in the pics and I’d always advocate finding the best one you can!

Rob

Well your right, if you don’t buy the best you always wish you had gone that bit further.
This is my favourite colour, with very low miles, so should be as good as new.

But I will have spent more than I wanted to.

Hopefully there not £5k cheaper in 6months time!

I remember when I was looking and I found my Ceramic one 14 month’s ago I knew it was the one - I didn’t want to spend that much, but for me, it was head and shoulders above all the others at the time and I’ve not seen one as good or in budget since - And I do watch the market.
Naturally I hope they don’t drop in value too much either, but can’t worry about forces I can’t control… So much has changed that has affected values, Brexit, Tightning Emmision regs, Covid and now the semi-conductor shortages… Enjoy it before we all have to drive electric…!

Rob

Hi D,
It really does not matter if they are cheaper in the future, this is NOT an investment, it is an indulgence and you are ‘indulging’ NOW so forget any ideas of following prices and DRIVE.
Will we see you on Sunday?

2 Likes

No , car will take about a week to get to Derby, but then I will pick up a week later
(as I have my daughters wedding to sort out first !)

1 Like

If you download the My Mazda app and pop in the VIN it shows you the service history.

There is also an online manual here if you want to learn more about the car.

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/mx-5/mx-5_8fl9ee16j/index02.html

Also if you or your family are 6ft + make sure you fit in, my wife is 6ft and the passenger seat legroom isn’t enough for her.

Also get a CTEK battery maintainer if the car will be parked up a fair bit, will keep the battery in good health.

Eternal blue is easier to touch up than Soul red, but at those miles it should not have any damage.

Have a look underneath as the suspension arms can go a bit rusty, but again at those miles it should be fine.

Also check the hood doesn’t catch on the roll bars, there was a recall for that.

Key fob batteries only last a year if it’s keyless entry so get a few spares in. There are YouTube guides how to change them.

I think you can do a mod to the MK4 floor under carpet to increase the passenger foot space. Is it something to do with a padded out area where the bose system would be or something?

QUOTE " Passenger Legroom

Hi all,

I can’t remember or find the thread anymore, but I remembered from somewhere that my “Sport” has a space-wasting block in the front of the footwell, rather than a subwoofer…

So, tonight I removed the door sill, pulled off the kickplate trim, pulled back the carpet, removed the one plastic button (phillips head), and took out the styrofoam block.

Following the advice from that other thread I can’t find anymore, I made a couple slits in the carpet so that it would lay more flat… On the right/outside side this is easy, and the slit is covered by the kickplate trim. The left/tunnel side required a longer slit, but it’s all covered by my WeatherTech floorliner (which also easily flexes forward).

If I stick my head in the footwell (!), then I can see the newly exposed white/grey sound dampening material at the top of the front of the footwell (under the dash) but sitting in the car it’s invisible.

I cut a small hole in the carpet in the middle of the footwell, too, so that I could re-use the button that held the block in place to hold the carpet in place.

While I was in there I removed the silly little door over the VIN, too. (This is all part of my own personal gram strategy.)

The difference is amazing. That block is only 4" or so thick, but the difference is as night’n’day as adding 4" to the inseam of a pair of pants.

I’m 6’0" or so, and before I could never have been comfortable in the passenger seat because of the lack of legroom. Now I have more legroom than I can use.

So, given a Sport, this is a slam-dunk — the styrofoam is only there to make sure the cheapest model wouldn’t have extra legroom, which is pretty damned mean-spirited of Mazda.

Even if I had a Club or GT, then I would yank the subwoofer in favor of the extra legroom."

1 Like

The OPs car is a Sport Nav so the BOSE subwoofer is under there in the passenger footwell.
So you can take out the Styrofoam, but then the subwoofer might get bashed by feet.

Think it’s actually a Sport Nav plus, so that also has the safety pack also I think? Lane keeping, rear cross traffic alert etc.

Thanks glosrich,
Downloaded the App, shows history etc which is great.
I’ll check the roof and if I can get it on a ramp I will but don’t expect any problems.
I already have an Optimate batter maintainer (i’ve used it on many cars over the years).
I’m 6’2" but fit better in an ND2 than an ND1 (and need to loose weight).
My wife is smaller 5’4", the only problem maybe if she drives back after we have been out for a drink!.

What recommendations do you have to keep the car in good condition.?

I have always kept my second cars in the garage but I’ve got a part built kit car (3/4 year project) in the garage and the MX5 will fit in with it but it will reduce working space so I intend keeping the MX5 outside and only garaging it during the winter months (October - March). It will also help to to use it more.

Is it worth fitting a cover over the soft top when its outside ?

I don’t like full covers as they seem to rub the bodywork. (unless someone can tell me better)

How do you look after the soft top ?

Is there any regular maintenance I should keep on top of?

Thanks Darren

I do have a garage but not worth the hassle trying to get the car into it…! So it lives outside.

I haven’t got any covers for mine, but just keep it cleaned, polished and waxed lots, and Rainex on the glass.

For hood cleaning I just use warm water and a clean microfibre cloth, but you can use a vacuum cleaner using the stair brush attachment as they are normally quite soft.

Get an oil and filter change done once a year minimum - even if you don’t do the mileage…
Other than that, tyre pressures, other level like screen wash…

Other advise will come your way, but that is my little contribution…! :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Worth getting a half cover there is a Custom covers one on eBay for about £80, it clamps in the door jambs and edge of the boot, it’s quick and easy to remove. Keeps the hood fabric cleaner and protects from those summer downpours.

Also worth getting the gearbox and LSD oil changed when it’s next serviced, they both get hot and work hard.

Worth cleaning the hood drains out also.

Many guides on YouTube if you search MX-5 ND model.

If you are keeping it, it’s worth rust proofing the front and rear subframes and suspension arms as the factory coating is very thin and they surface rust after a few years.

Re the Optimate smart charger. If you get an ND with the i-stop/i-loop systems you will probably need to get an “Optimate 5 Start/Stop” which is built for cars with that technology. Check it out on their website, or contact them for advice.
I had an Optimate 4 for my ND1 1.5l which didn’t have the i-technology and an Optimate 5 Start/Stop for my ND2 2.0l which had the i-stop technology.