MX5 MK4 ND wanted (Private buyer)

My Charger is probably nearly 20 years old, its an Optimate Accumate (I think without looking)
It Does 6 & 12v, has been excellent over the years.

Why wouldn’t it work (it just charges the battery).

The stop start shouldn’t kick in until the ignition is turned on (and then the charger would be off)

Not sure as I’m a techno-phobe, but the battery connections in the ND2 with i-stop has more “stuff” attached than the one in the ND1. Anyway your existing one is getting on a bit so why take a risk for the sake of a relatively few ££. So, the choice is yours, I’m just saying what I did under the circumstances. There are a few auto electricians on the forum so maybe one of them will see the thread and offer their advice. As I said previously you could always contact the Optimate people for advice. Good luck whatever you do.

Isn’t it an AGM battery on the ND2 with i-stop and i-eloop?

Needs a charger compatible with AGM battery.

Also expect some i-stop errors until the battery is fully charged, as the car has been sitting around whilst on sale.

You can still buy the same old accumate charger and the spec says its AGM batteries, the main problem with AGM is overcharging but accumate is a very low current charger with cut off so should be fine.
(I’ll stick a meter on and check the current and cut off voltage to make sure its within the battery spec when I connect it up).

Just read about the i-ELOOP seems very complicated and likely to cause problems, is this fitted to all ND cars ?
It looks like one of them systems fitted just to make the car appear more green / environmentally friendly (but probably weighs more than the fuel it saves)

I believe it’s only fitted to ND2 models, my ND1 2.0 didn’t have either i-stop or i-eloop.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it. You have a warranty, and some Mazda warranty I believe.

I think any issues with it are caused if the battery isn’t maintained.

I-eloop is just a regenerative alternator that stores charge from braking and i-stop is just stop start like many cars have had for years.

If it’s any consolation, I have a 2.0 petrol CX-5, same engine as the MX-5, and I’ve not had any problems with i-stop or i-eloop during the 2 years I’ve had it.

1 Like

Hi D,
This Should I use the AGM mode of my Bosch C3 charger? - Technical Area / Electrics & ICE - MX-5 Owners Club Forum (mx5oc.co.uk) has lots on charging.
This Service Information (kuppol.ru) is particularly interesting.
I and a friend are using older smart chargers without any apparent problem. I suspect that if the battery became discharged you would have trouble reviving it without the fancy Mazda chargers that are specifically designed for these and charge the battery with constant current and high voltage.
:heart:

No, it’s an Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB).

Which is basically a standard battery, slightly enhanced for stop start loads.

I went to see the car today that I reserved. (Eternal Blue, 2.0L ND2 )
Good points car seems to be in great condition, bodywork good, seats very good etc.
It’s only done 5,000 miles.
Bad point is the roof is rubbing on the head rests, it has marked the paint on the head rest and the roof edge is marked but not badly.

Motorpoint are going to take the car to Mazda to see what they say.

Disappointing as I expected to take it away today, and didn’t even test drive it.

Hopefully they will sort it to a good standard and then I’ll test drive, and if all good take it home.

I had the same with mine. I put it down to the previous owner locking the top down whilst sitting in the car, which naturally pulls the top forward… I open the top now from outside the car whilst gently pushing it back to avoid any contact. It’s still close but is clear… just…! :slight_smile:

Rob

Hi D,

Hang on in there, it will be worth the extra time it takes to get it spot on.

In the meantime have you found this Mazda Owners Section; FAQs, Manuals & Information | Mazda UK If you go through each section you will have a much better understanding of all the features and how to work them in readiness for when you finally take delivery of your 5.
:heart:

I believe there was a recall for the hood rubbing issue. Mazda will adjust the hood and replace the covers on the roll bars.

Yep, Mazda replaced the hood and covers under warranty on my ND2 as both were marked.

@das68 you could use this to negotiate lower price with the seller & then get it looked at by Mazda separately, eg at next service. If not too late now of course.

Too late for that, they are going to take it to Mazda and get it sorted.
Hopefully it comes back spot on. :grinning:

Had a phone call on Thursday to say the car is back at motorpoint ready for me to inspect / test drive. It’s taken 3 weeks for Mazda to check the roof / roll bar rubbing and fix.
Unfortunately I also received a positive COVID test on the same day so now got another 10days to wait.

I told motorpoint to put it back up for general sale but they were very keen to keep it reserved until after my isolation.

(Which I’m not too surprised about as virtually none of the cars I have been watching has sold over the last few weeks).

Cheers Das