MX5 World Record Attempt

I’m not sure if this has been posted here already (I’ve had a look but can’t see it) but a few people from Nutz are planning a world record attempt.

From Nutz:

Following on from Hooligan’s Big Meet Thread, just wondered if we could get a world record attempt in the bag.

The MR2s that did it, there were 227 on track at the same time. So we would have to beat that obviously.

Would there be enough interest for this to go ahead? It would have to be on one of the race tracks, a fairly large one at that, as we would need to drive for 2 miles within 2 car lengths of eachother. Possibly an air strip but would need to see if that counted.

Costing wise, depending on numbers it would go down, as would need to rent a track (will contact MOT) and the GWR people want 2k to have a judge there and all that business but I would imagine it would be in the region of about 20 quid a car.

UPDATE: Nick and the team at MoT have kindly offered to let us piggy back this on another event that they are organizing, so we now have a confirmed venue. The track has been spoken to and they are up for it as well. Everything is still in early talks but it is looking good :). Remember guys are target is 250 cars. It will be more of a massive meet and Mazda show with a record attempt thrown into the mix so fun to be had by all for sure. More details as and when they are available. The track in question is Blyton Park in Lincolnshire. It is near as makes no difference the middle of the UK and will accommodate all the cars with ease. Worked out we can easily get over 500 cars on there if we get that many.

If you’re intersested please post on Nutz, or add your name here if you’re not a member and I’ll add you onto the list.

I’m up for it! Presume if it’s tagged onto another event there is a date confirmed?

I saw a post about it earlier, went to the Nutz forum but was in work so couldn’t register, appreciate if you could stick me down on the list.

Sounds like a great idea…

Certainly another name here, will depend somewhat on the date though.

Again not registered user of nutz

Chris

There is a thread here: http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/p/15981/95684.aspx#95684

Lost in the “Peaks and Pennines” area, for no reason I can imagine.

Slight self-repost coming up: I’ve done one of these record thingies before with 436 Lotuses on track at the same time (shame they didn’t count the Elises or we could have got the single model record too). Good fun, although it took forever to get all the cars on track. Imaging the following pics are full of MX5s and you’ll enjoy them more:

Is there a date and location for this? I’ll do it if I can.

Blyton, Lincs. Some weekend in August 2010.

The original Elan looks tiny compared to the Elise.

Ace, I’m in. Someone on Nutz put my name down please.

The Elan looks tiny compared to everything. They make MX5s look like trucks.

i’d love to take part !! … maybe we could start a list on here too for people that are not regular users of Nutz and someone from the ‘Nutz Crew’ could keep us informed. Thumbs up

The date gonna be important…  busy month August, lots of people away and stuff…

Just musing but when the japanese celebrated the 20th Anniversary did they not have all 1600 mx5s on the track?
Does the record include actually being in motion?

Would be fun if it could be arranged
Cool

Yep, they have to be moving. The Lotus thing was done at about 10mph. Slow enough not to be intimidating for even the most reluctant of track newbies.

I think they had enough cars on the track to set a world record but AFAIK the officials from Guinness World Records were not in attendance to witness the event.

Cool. My cheap brakes can cope with 10mph.

Ty Cap. Mup and Niggle.
As i suspected
Thumbs up

I’m up for this one depending on the date and I’ve also registered my interest on Nutz.

Slow enough for me then. Wink

Interested so long as diary allows, not a member on Nutz, can someone put me as a possible please

Thanks

I think we should take Ady’s idea of starting a list here, then I’ll add people to Nutz in bulk.

So far we’ve got:

1. Chris

2. Ady

3. Lizhosken

just copy and paste the list adding yourself to the end if you wanna join.

1. Chris

2. Ady

3. Lizhosken

4. Slipp3ry333

Sorry, I was supposed to say that I’ve added you to Nutz already.

We hope to have full details of this out on Wednesday.

Additionally it is my understanding that there can be no more than two car lengths between each car and that all cars must drive 2 miles. The MX-5 record is 249 cars and yes the GWR have to witness it or have compelling independent evidence that it was achieved. With something very focused like egg juggling video evidence is easy to submit, but something this big it would not work, so it needs to bee seen.