My new precious is a 25th Anniversary

Found the rattle in the driver’s footwell and fixed it - by adjusting the clutch pedal free travel.

I took out almost all the free play between the push-rod shackle and pedal pivots with the adjustment.
So now when the pedal is resting the shackle can still think about rattling sideways a bit, but touch the pedal a fraction of a millimetre and the shackle is now steady and ready to do its job.

I gathered the essentials

and measured the travel as I did before for the Niseko, and found the pedal has the normal maximum range of 130mm, but the bite point is at 100mm, maybe a bit lower. Mazda say between 80 and 110mm. Anyway 100 is not good enough on this car. I think the fluid needs changing too.

The 25AE seat does not go quite as far back as with the Niseko and I’m a bit more arthritic so took longer to “dive” into position with newer torch and same old tools. Eventually after about half an hour of fiddling about I’ve set the bite point at 90 and tested it.
My notes here use the tape measure from the bottom of the steering wheel, and some simple sums.

Took it for a quick top-down test in the sun; clutch is so much better. Car needs a clean before I take any proper pictures and still pongs of Dinitrol and penetrating oil.

5 Likes