NC dash lights

Hi All
My 2011 NC has just decided it’s dash lights and hardtop controls should flash on & off randomly. This first happened just before Christmas after a similarly wet period and after spell in the garage it had cleared. Once again a wet spell has triggered it. It runs & drives ok but the speedo keeps dipping to zero but the Rev counter seems fine.
I figured some wet on the ecu connectors might do this but just had a look & it was dry & doesn’t look water stained.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Ian

Have you checked under the dash by and in the small fuse box at the base of the A pillar passenger side? Reports of water ingress there causing electrical stuff to act as yours. Possible water entry by the grommets below the windscreen, many many members have found leaks there.

I agree with MickAP - it’s highly likely that the fault lies with failed scuttle grommets allowing water into the electrics.

This is quite an easy fix, suggest that you buy the two little black plastic covers as well as the grommets because the clips on the covers frequently snap off when the covers are removed.

Thanks, really appreciate the prompt response to my first post.
I’ve Just checked carpet there is wet, it didn’t seem particularly wet in the fuse box, but I guess it’d have to get by there.
Couple more questions;
Is it worth doing the grommets on both sides?
Looks like I might need to remove the bonnet to get the scuttle out?
Cheers
Rid

Pop the wiper arms off and the two black cover caps either side on that black plastic cover at the base of the windscreen. Behind the caps are two cross head screws, remove these. They are screwed into the failed grommets, the foam seals break down allowing water ingress. Anyway onto under the bonnet, you’ll see a long black rubber strip running the width of that black cover, this is held down through the cover and once released of the clips holding it the cover will be loose. The cover is in two pieces but no need to fully remove as it’s still held by the washer tubes. You can get to the two grommets easily.
You can buy two new seals or as most do just clean up and silicone seal around them and it’s sufficient. Take care removing the black cover caps, they break easily. And for good measure I silicone seal the screw hole before replacing the screws.

si6472_1

1 Like

Great thanks for that, I just ordered the parts.
Should’ve seen it coming as I’ve been getting lots of condensation inside the car.
Rid

This is a common issue on the MK3 and crops up on a weekly basis.

If you’ve already ordered the grommets, then you might as well fit them.
However, the new ones will fail at the same point eventually (a few years).

I’d advise a smear of silicone sealant for good measure

As above but don’t even bother with the supplied foam gaskets.just remove the plastic grommets, bin the gasket, clean the seating area of the oblong hole in the scuttle and bed the insert on some non corrosive silicone type adhesive. Another thin layer around the edge once seated.allow to set before reassembly.

Thanks to All.
I’m just wondering if there’s an easy way to romove the old grommets…?
Is it a case of rip ‘em out?
Rid

I’ve not removed mine just sealed around them but I bet they are just held in by clips. I reckon if you get something like an old credit card or such a thin like blade under and push and lift it will release the clips.
See the image of the underside.

si6472

Hello all - could anybody please suggest a supplier for the black plastic caps? For some reason I’m missing one on my NC.

Thank you

Richard

Hi Richard, I got mine from MX-5 Parts. Somebody else recently said they’d bought some from a company called Autolink.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/windscreen-cowl-hole-cover-mk3-35-p-2856.html

Thank you Mick - I’ve been struggling to find any (tbh, I didn’t know what to search for!) so I shall get some ordered.

Richard

Hi All
Thanks for the guidance.
I replaced the grommets, leaving out the foam pieces as suggested and bedded them onto a PU based sealant (Sika EBT) see pic. After a few more days letting it dry out in the garage, it was outside again for last weekend’s deluge and great news, it stayed dry & isn’t impersonating a Christmas tree anymore.
Thanks
image|666x500

2 Likes