NC Ducktail Spoiler - Firefly Speedshop?

Came across this spoiler this evening and wondered if anyone has one and what it looks like fitted?

Was considering the carbonmiata one for PRHT, but would much rather support a local firm.
Look forward to finding out more about this if possible.
Cheers
Nick

I don’t know anything about the duck tales but i am also considering getting the carbon Miata gt wing.
should you get the carbon Miata before me, could you please make a post and let us know how the fitting goes!

There may be a clue in the picture!!!
:heart:

not really!
if you take a closer look you see that its a picture of the spoiler sitting unattached on someone’s bonnet!!! :rofl:

1 Like

Me thinks you have missed the point of my post!!!
The fact that they have not even been bothered to show it attached to the correct position on the relevant model in their advertisement is a good enough indicator for me to draw some conclusions. Obviously others may or may not be drawn to the same conclusions.
:heart:

1 Like

yeah, I do that a lot!
thank you for explaining without calling me dumb.

1 Like

Carbon Miata for me - fitted a few years back. took 3 months to arrive.

That looks superb mate, must have taken ages to blend that so perfectly!

Totally worth it though, looks spot on :ok_hand:t2:

tbh i don’t really see the point of fitting a spoiler in an MX5. maybe its my taste in things etc etc.

If however you want to use a functional spoiler it has to be a rather large motorsport type spoiler. And you would have to drive the car with the roof up - otherwise it will be pointless.

I have actually come across a video that they analysed the effect of a spoiler in an MX5. In summary you need a large and wide rear spoiler to get the most downforce. A small spoiler is in the wake of the car so even with the roof up and it wont have any effect.

Here is the video.

2 Likes

its just my personal taste but i really don’t like the duck tail.
I’m looking at this one

i would really like to see some more pictures of this fitted tho

1 Like

that’s quite nice looking spoiler tbf

You weren’t being dumb, I thought the same as you…
It’s obviously the way some people write their posts…:rofl:

Some members obviously like the look of a spoiler.
I like the look of the oem spoiler, but not the massive wing type…:grin:

Understated, underwhelming, undersized, oversized or a cheap bit of tat?

I’m still undecided.:thinking::grin:

Certainly not oversized :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had a car with the £40 Ebay one on, it was very good for the money. That was a couple of years ago now so probably gone up a bit.

there’s an NB in town with a cheap eBay spoiler.
it actually looks quite good.
sadly tho, fitting one of those to the NC isn’t easy due to all the reinforcement stuff in the boot lid.
which is why I had to drop my spoiler thread about the fiberglass eBay ones.
as my body shop guy said you need one that has the fixing holes in the right place otherwise you will have to tear the underside of the boot lid apart to fit it and then your boot lid will eventually warp

Looks great when done like this, but putting a Black one on a coloured car with screws/Rivetts etc on show ain’t for me, :nauseated_face: but each to his own and all that, I can imagine that getting it blended in , or filling and spraying the spoiler and fixings to get a good finish is more hard work than it looks.

1 Like

Put the carbonmiata ducktail on mine for looks more than anything.
Went straight on with the 3 m tape and a bit of extra silicon to hold it tight.
Perfect fit with no faffing or painting needed. Carbon look.

1 Like

The only thing to be achieved by having a wing is slowing the car down due to dragging around extra weight. Quite possibly also slowing it down and worsening fuel consumption due to drag induced by a shape not tailored specifically to the airflow of the car.
In short, pointless.
Sorry to be blunt, but that’s why wings fell out of favour on mainstream cars.

1 Like