NC Hardtop, the space behind the seats

I know the space under the rear window behind the seats is where the roof is stowed when down but I had never really looked at it before and was surprised to find I can reach inside from the drivers seat and it’s all nice and carpeted.

So I was wondering if anyone ever uses it as temporary storage assuming that (a) they won’t be putting the roof down and (b) they can get it back out again! There is of course a danger that something could be left in there and you forget next time you lower the roof but just wondering if anyone treats it as extra carrying space?

1 Like

Not ever!

Hi We have used this space several times when going way on holiday. We bought some cheap zip up bags that can fit between the headrests and above the fold down wind blocker to get them into the space. Makes a big difference, can’t have the top down obviously but if on the motorway then we would not generally go topless! Yes make sure that you do not leave anything in this space when emptying. Leave note or marker on dash or over hardtop switch if you are forgetful.

4 Likes

Yes that’s a good idea. Thanks.

Yes, if it is raining, but as March said, I leave a sticky note over the roof switch.
When I put my heavy rucksack in there, I cushion its surroundings, or hang it from the roof catch (that bit at behind the wind blocker that holds the roof when it is down). Never had a problem.

1 Like

Have you discovered the pair of decent sized cubby-holes behind the seats yet?
They took me totally by suprise when I slid a seat forward after owning the car for around three months.
Mine aren’t fully utilised yet, but I do keep a couple of spare woolly hats and a pair of binoculars in there.

They are not cubby holes in the prht due to the space being occupied by roof controller etc.

2 Likes

I used that space many a time in my NC and still do in my ND now.
As others have said, make sure you get everything out before putting the roof down!
My full comments from a previous thread:

Just one extra thing to consider, officially there is only around 200kg available before you go over the max allowable weight. So if you have a couple of 6ft 2in blokes in the car, there is no space for luggage anyway

There is a separate thread on this

Russ

If you read that carefully you’ll see no-one and none of the links take into consideration the PRHT is 43kg heavier than the soft top.

This is an interesting one, just done a bit more digging on this, found this link:

http://www.miata.net/faq/brochures/2…1-02-09%29.pdf

So from this pdf:
Curb weight is 2593lbs for the PRHT (1176kg)
Gross vehicle weight is 3122lbs for the PRHT (1416kg)

This would allow 240kg additional weight. However, my gross vehicle weight is stamped on the driver’s door pillar and states 1375kg - so not sure really. The figure of 2593lbs appears to be well established though.

Think I will run with the 1416kg all up weight - so we can pack a few extras for our road trip to Spain next year!

R

That’s interesting, I quoted Wikis figures. I wonder what the UK Mazda handbook says.

Really? Is that 200kg including fuel weight?

240kg difference? That’s nearly quarter of a ton!

Christophe1

The 200kg (or 240kg whichever way you look at it) is what’s left for driver, passenger and luggage

The curb weight includes a full fuel tank (1176kg)

Hope that helps

R

Thank you.
That doesn’t seem alarming. It takes a lot of garments to make 50kg of luggage, and not all 6’2 people weigh more than 90kg.
But it’s something I hadn’t been thinking about, so cheers!

as I need to slide my seat forward, I find that if I fashion a thin black belt over the head bar so it is all the way down, I can hang a hanger from the belt and hang a coat or jacket behind the seat. I just keep out of my wife’s way when she goes looking for her nelt…