NC Metallic 'clonk' from rear suspension (OS mainly)

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2011 NC 3.5_PRHT 2.0L (11000 miles only)
  2. I’m based near: Farnborough, Hants
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Rear suspension ‘clonk’_

I have a very similar problem with my 2006 NC, unfortunately I don’t know what is causing either but would also be grateful for help/recommendation regarding this

I thought I had one after fitting Meisters but it turned out to be the jack in the rear right boot well. It got binned off and we were all good

1 Like

Have already discounted the jack and tool roll in OSR wing cubby hole. It was removed during all the tests.

Somene else on this forum has recently posted about this, with the solution being the tightening of a couple of bolts underneath the car, either in the suspension or else. Sorry I can’t recall exactly and have no time to search for the thread, but it looked like an easy fix.
Others have mentioned the anti-roll bar drop links as potential culprits. They are asy to test before replacing. Again you may find the posts with a quick search.

Edit.
Rear suspension metallic clonk - #3 by Woodford.

Might work for an NC too.

1 Like

These symptoms replicate exactly what I am experiencing right down to the renewal of ARB bushes/drop links (no change) and the fact it is more prevalent when warmer. . .
My car although 10 years old has only got 11000 verifiable miles on the clock so unlikely to be component wear I would have thought.

Could it be something to do with the PRHT, I don’t know how as it makes noise whether hood is up or down.
Next train of thought is shock absorbers. Mine suspension is standard set up and surely they should last more than 11000 miles OR is it an age related issue with internal components (seals etc) going hard.

Thanks for the tag, I was thinking about this problem just a couple of days ago. I will check the bolts you mention (funny, I have been working on those very parts on an NB this morning so I know exactly the bolts concerned).

I say I was thinking about the problem just a couple of days ago because since the weather has cooled there is no noise at all, and it’s completely slipped my mind. My NC is not PRHT, so not that - my money is on something rubber being more affected by the higher temps. If the wife would let me I’d just fit some coilovers, that would probably fix it :smiley:

1 Like

The clunk I had at the rear of my 5 was the brake pads. Removed, cleaned, regreased, cured.

Check brakes I had a similar clonk sound thought it was in the boot or behind the seats. Turned out it was the slider pins on the front caliper needing silicone grease, did that and the noise disappeared. Worth a try!

That’s what Mick1 posted as a solution to his problem on your thread indeed “broken coil spring”. I just couldn’t remember this afternoon before work, but I knew I had bookmarked it…
I didn’t realise I had tagged you though.

1 Like

I wouldn’t discount anything.
Lack of use can be the problem which can wear out/seize parts quicker than “normal” use.
Bushes/rubber parts can deteriorate rapidly too.
Then, when you use it the parts wear/break and bobs your uncle.
It happens.
The OEM discs on these are pretty terrible, (rust/pitting) if not used a lot.
Mine had 6K on it when I bought it and the rear brakes were terrible and just never worked as they should.
Changed all the rear discs/pads and perfect.
Good luck with finding the fault.

1 Like

All sorted !!!
Took car back to selling dealer, as warranty expired end of December, and although they could find nothing obviously at fault they changed both rear shocks and top mount kits which did the trick. Jobs a goodun !!!
One interesting point though. My car is a 2011 Mk3.5 SE PRHT and I was surprised it had gas shocks fitted. Correct ??

1 Like

Thanks for your update Pop, I might do my dampers and mounta on spec in the spring, I’m still on original dampers, 2011 NC 48k miles, not just mileage but time also kills items.

Roy

Hi Kit Car Roy
Is yours an SE or Sport ?
Thinking about mine having gas shocks. Standard on an SE ?

Hi Kit Car Roy
On a different subject altogether.
As a one time owner of a 1967 Marlin Roadster( Mk1 no doors, Triumph Vitesse 2 litre 6 cylinder engine etc ) I’m intrigued by your Kit Car history. Spill the beans please.

Hi Pop … you shouldn’t have asked! :grin::grin:

1st car I built was an Eagle Jeep (Renagade lookalike)
I started with my rebuilt Auto 2.8 V6 Ford engine.
Replaced with a Pinto 2l manual box also fully rebuilt by me.
Got bored just driving it so… sold it on …

Then built a Formula 27 from plans (Wide bodied Caterham styled car). Made chassis, body electronics and most bits myself including modifying Weber carb to use as throttle body with an Omex ECU.
Complete Kit Car mag published a 12 full page Build story and centre fold pic of my car over 2 monthly issues.
Sold on after many trips to Le Mans, Laon Classic and Tulip Map Road Rallies.

Last car I built was an FRA Mini Fibreglass shelled with Coil Overs all round. I modified a Roll Cage Kit to make an internal spaceframe to improve rigidity and safety.
Sold on half finished due to an issue with my back.

Now I’m getting into my MX5 Mk3 Miyako and making comfort and convenience mods only, I will publish some of my mods on my Youtube channel when I get around to editing my videos and finishing a couple more mods/videos.

That’s enough of me rabbiting on I recon but will give you an idea of my Kit Car builds history. You may find my videos on my Youtube channel of interest see ‘Kit Car Roy’ on YouTube, unfortunately I did not video my Eagle or F27 but I did publish a mates video of my F27 half finished messing about in Le Mans and a few videos of my FRA Mini to aid selling it.

Checkout my Youtube channel if you are nterested.

Roy

2 Likes