NC Rear speaker screw sizes

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: __SW London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __screw sizes for installing rear speakers
    Ive acquired a pair of rear speakers for my base model NC and would like to minimise the time spent installing them. Could anyone let me know what size screwsare needed to fit them?

Hi Mike,
Does your NC already have rear speakers? ISTR that some models don’t.
I did mine as part of a larger project to install sound deadening a while back, so unfortunately I don’t have the ‘right’ photos, but I have an NC2 with factory rears. Order of operations:-

• Strip the rear plastic trims
  • Demount the speaker bracket + existing speakers
  • Remove existing speakers; they are glued on to the bracket - and I am 99% sure that they were screwed as well with short flange head screws. Removed screws, fixed bracket in vice, worked a Stanley blade/chisel around the perimeter to break the glue and pry off the old speaker
  • Open up the hole in the bracket to accept the new speakers - may be optional depending on the size and how you mount your new speakers. The bracket has a lip around the hole to add strength - I ended up marking and cutting the wider hole - it’s only a few mm bigger - with a death wheel in a dremel that removed this lip.
  • Mount new speakers. Again, I am 99% sure I just re-used the existing screws.
  • Add foam around perimeter of speakers (if you are v careful, you can cut away the foam off the old speakers and re-use, but I just used leftover sound insulation foam
  • I cut the connectors off the old speakers and soldered to the new ones so I could re-use factory connectors & wiring.
  • Test & Reassemble

Speakers: Alpine SXE0825S

The bit that took the longest was working out how to open up the holes in the bracket to make everything fit. After some trial & error, the dremel ended up being the best solution for me.

As to the end result, I have mine faded a long way forward so that they don’t overpower the door speakers, being so close to your head.

Hope this helps - good luck!

1 Like

Hi Jeff
My issue was that I’d bought some second hand rear speakers and hadn’t looked at what was behind the trim. As it happened I found there are studs in place for the mounting bracket and I had some suitable sized nuts in the garage. All I need now is to get the bit of loom between the speakers and what’s in the car and to work out how to get the trim on the roll hoops to fit back together properly!

1 Like

Ah yes - the style bar trim! I spent quite a bit of time on that, but before I resorted to percussive adjustment, sat down, had a drink (it was late, I was tired!), and found the answer on here. The trim doesn’t go where it looks like it should, the plastic tabs on the trim slide over the metal tabs on the hoops - not behind.