NC Ride height comparison

Just to add to this thread in case it’s of use to anyone. I’ve just fitted a set of very low mileage Bilsteins & springs from a mk3.75 to my 1.8 NC1 along with RX8 yellow dot ARB’s. Ride heights on the std shocks were 385mm/360mm front/rear respectively. With the Bilsteins it’s now 370/360.
Matt

Because my front O/S spring is broken at the pigtail, I’m looking to upgrade all round (my 2007 2.0 Icon has done 57k so the shocks/springs must be tired all round) I was thinking of the B12 pro kit, but when you say yours is “a touch low” how does that manifest itself in real world driving? I’m aware that the non-sport suspension on the Icon is set high as standard so was wondering how much lowering by 30-35mm would affect ride over speed bumps etc - can you enlighten me?

1 Like

My car on 35mm lowering B12 kit (there are two kits, one is 30mm, the other is 35mm) touched down on almost every journey. If the road was very bumpy, I had to drive slowly. Normal road humps were passable with care, but the type you try to straddle were very dodgy.

I think I kept them on for 3 weeks before changing them.

If it was a track car, it would have been ok/ideal, but I wanted an everyday car that was easy to use and not worry about.

Many thanks, I’ve spoken to Bilstein and ordered the 30mm so fingers crossed!

1 Like

There is a difference of 10mm in the free length of the 30mm and 35mm springs. They will shrink by the same length under load (about a mm per 7kg - so very approx about a 40mm drop on each corner, less the amount of preload dialled in.
Also there is a slight leverage effect, so a 10mm difference in spring length will equate to more than 10mm at the wheel.

So I reckon that the 30mm drop will be a lot more than 5mm higher than the 35mm drop. So I think they may be ideal. I didn’t take the risk and bought Meister instead, once bitten twice shy and all that. But I think you will be very happy. Please do update us here. Be useful for lots of future decision makers.

Will do :+1:

Just realised, I didn’t update:

Well, as far as I’m concerned, my car is now perfect. Rides beautifully, corners flat and doesn’t ground on any type of speed bumps. in fact, I’ve now got the bits I wanted in a Sport (Bilsteins/LSD) but not the bits I didn’t (6 speed box/17" wheels) - result!

1 Like

How about a picture?

Love the stance now :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Some years ago with my previous Mk 3 I had a broken front spring, having a Guarantee from Stoneacres I got them to repair it. Both springs were replaced and they handed it back like this !(see Pic) I rejected the repair and after two attempts they got it back to where it was prior to the broken spring . Not to say that they did a good job but left off the cross bar metal connection plate !!MX5 Big GAp- Stoneaches