NC Ride height comparison

Just noticed I’ve set my front/rear heights wrong way around, back to drawing board tomorrow. :tired_face:

People often run a bit of rake, eg 5 mm higher at the back. I don’t know whether it’s pure aesthetics or if there is a handling argument.
Mctrucky,
345mm was my personal experience erring on the safe side with meister crd’s to allow the rear thread engagement. That’s only my personal experience with a 2013 mk3.75 PRHT. They may go a bit higher. There are the usual variables of PRHT vs soft top and earlier vs later cars along with bush preload, spring preload and a few others I can’t remember which may cause different results.
I would say that I’ve noticed no bone jarring difference in the change from original bilstein sport suspension to the meisters apart from the car being more settled and less skittish over imperfect tarmac. You will never be able to boot it over speed bumps regardless.
Mr Roddison may be able to contribute to availlable ride heights as he supplies and fits Meister R

1 Like

All now set to 350 front and back. Might be placebo effect but seems to ride better and not be as fidgety… can’t see a height change doing that though. Also just stripped down complete hub, replaced bearing, fitted new dust shield, new lateral link and new link rubbers. First ever time and learnt a massive amount, but got to love the factory manuals :joy:

Nice one dgarside, it is very satisfying doing mechanical things successfully.

I have bought a set of CRDs and expect them to arrive tomorrow. Pleased to hear you have got your rears set to 350, that is what I am aiming to get to, but may fit an alloy spacer above the rear shock to get an extra 5 or 6mm to play with. Assuming the bolts are long enough.

Cheers, I still need to do the arm bushes at some point as one is looking a bit past it but not really got tools at the moment, so probably best to borrow my friends 12t press when I do them. Work list coming down slowly :wink:

Just for anyone who may search for this in the future…

I just fitted Meister CRDS yesterday and have done about 20 miles on them to settle them.
With the ride height set to max, and with an additional 3mm preload (from shipped condition, don’t know how much preload was on there already) on the rears, the car is sitting with :

• 385mm on the front
  • 365 on the rears.
    That is with a couple of threads visible through the peep holes.

Will drop it down to 360 both ends, but will give it a few days to settle before doing this.

If you wanted to go higher on the rear, the bolt’s are long enough to allow a 5mm plate to go between the shock and the chassis.

3 Likes

Glad all went on ok and height is what you wanted.
You may find the height alters slightly when the alignment is done as well.
Is strange that we all have different heights though.

Stewart.

1 Like

I was going to create a new topic to ask for advice on coilovers for my MK3.5 PRHT but the discussions here are really helpful already.

I too have fitted Eibach 30mm lowering springs to my car about a year about and I am finding it a bit too low for the huge speed bumps in Hertfordshire. I think the shocks need to be replaced as well anyway. They are the original Bilsteins and have 130k miles on them. Car feels a bit…bouncy when going over some bumps in the road.

I see the general consensus that the MeisterR Zeta CRDs are the way to go - they allow the height to be set close to stock, with 10-15mm lowering (which is all I would like to have). The problem is…MeisterR are not fabricating them for the MX5 NC anymore. They seem to have been replaced by the ClubRace - https://www.meisterr.co.uk/products/meisterr-clubrace-coilovers-for-mazda-mx-5-nc-05-14/

Any chance some of you wise people of mx5oc have the ClubRaces fitted? Can the height be set close to stock?

On Moss eBay site.

Also their website show CRD’s and the Club Race.

I have the CRD’s so can’t comment on the others.
Hope this helps.

They still make the CRDs for the NC. They also make an LT (long travel) version that gives an extra 10mm or so travel for those that need extra ride height (cost about £100 extra).

I just bought a set (of the standard CRDs) from meister.co.uk and got next day delivery. Ride height I maxed out when fitting and it is easily high enough for me (which was my concern and the reason I started this thread). I plan to wind the front down an inch, and the rear half an inch before getting the tracking done.

Another option I was sorely tempted with ws the TEIN Flex Z. These are a fully adjustable coil over set, very similar to the CRDs, but can also be fitted with in car remote adjustment done by electric stepper motors on the top of damper adjusters. It would be nice to press a switch when coming off the mountain pass and onto a cobbled street to get a smoother ride. But with nothing like the following of the Meister, I didn’t go out on a limb again. Cost about the same as the CRDs, but an extra £300 for the in car control unit.

Hi,
Thought I’d add to this conversation. 350mm all round on Mk3.5 PRHT. Improved stance over standard, Bilstein, set up. Car is used for touring and runs, former with two biggish blokes and luggage so wouldn’t want to go lower. Key point is I’ve Meister Rs fitted so if a track day is planned lowering is not a problem. As others have said depends how you intend using the car. Someone reported that Meister are no longer doing their coilovers for NCs, shame, I don’t regret the change and expense.

I don’t think they have stopped supplying CRD’s for the NC, currently out of stock so don’t show on the list on the website. - Products / Road / ZetaCRD
However if you look via, Shop / Meister R suspension / Mazda, they show all MX5 model variants and different product options.
I would drop them a message or call them to find out when the NC CRD’s will be back in stock.

Many thanks everyone. I have ordered the Zeta CRDs from Moss in the end. Should arrive tomorrow.

I will get them fitted and post here with the results.

This is such an excellent topic - should be stickied!

I believe that Meister have brought out a new version ,they have decreased the front spring from 7kg/mm to 6kg/mm ,they seem to be available for the NC in the states now so I would think that they will be here as well soon.

1 Like

Hello, thought I would jump in on this convo as there are some v knowledgeable people; I have a 2008 1.8 hardtop and want to change the suspension a bit, I don’t want my arse dragging the ground or really stiff just an improvement on the standard and a bit less lean and roll in the bends. I have seen a lot of the ‘boat’ gags.
Any suggestions please; not mega expensive and also I would have no idea how to fit them so I’ll be paying someone to do it.
Many thanks in advance :+1:

Just measured the ride height on my Mk3.75 2.0 sport venture, and have the following:

Front left 365
Front right 365

Rear left 355
Rear right 345

Is someone able to tell me why the rears are lower than the fronts and why the difference between the rears? Also, how can the rear right at 345 be fixed to make it at least the same as the rear left, as it does look low

Many thanks in advance

Russ

I’m ready to invest in Meisters and saw Cpt_Carrothers’ helpful post about the decreased spring rate. I emailed Meisters yesterday and they came back to confirm that new stock will be at the decreased 6kg/mm (Front). Anyone who wants the 7kg/mm should check out any stock left at resellers.

This is to focus Zeta CRDs on more road compliance and ClubRace remains the recommendation for those doing track days.

I’ve asked when new stock of the 6kg is due in and I’ll update this thread if they come back with a date.

I’ve just fitted a set of the BBR Koni based springs & dampers and the results have surprised me at the rear - its almost as if I’m missing a shim or something!

Old measurements (std sport tech, Level ground, half tank of fuel):
Right Front: 365
Left Front: 365
Right Rear: 365
Left Rear: 355

New measurements (BBR kit, level ground, half tank of fuel, handbrake off)
Right Front: 335 (-30)
Left Front: 335 (-30)
Right Rear: 310 (-50)
Left Rear: 315 (-45)

Might move this to its own thread for correction ideas!

EDIT Just spoke to BBR and it turns out there is adjustment on the rear ride height on those dampers which I hadn’t realised so that could explain it. Its going to them for geo on Tuesday anyway so hopefully that will be resolved!

Meisters say new Zeta CRD stock with 6kg/mm front springs due at end of September.

Thought i’d give you all an update.

I bought the Zeta CRDs from Moss (eBay) and got them fitted last week at WIM. New ride height set at 360mm(ish) all round.

I had the opportunity to test drive this setup over a week long holiday in Wales and I am loving it! The Zeta CRDs appear to suit my driving style very well - I can feel when the rear is about to lose grip and I can easily keep it “on the edge” If I want to. Roundabouts are loads of fun in the wet :smiley:. The car is still feels comfortable and I did not get any complaints from my passenger (who is used to german sedans / SUVs) over the almost 1000 mile journey.

The new ride height also allows me to relax when going over speed bumps and uneven roads. All in all, money well spent!

Later edit: my Zeta CRDs are old stock and still with the 7 kg/mm front spring rates. WIM set them in the middle for damping / rebound and 5mm of compression on the springs.

2 Likes