NC “Skadi” (Kagetradeuk) Coolant Aluminium Expansion Tank

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 3.75
  2. I’m based near: __ Wiltshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    Just on the offshoot.
    Has anyone actually bought and fitted one of the Skadi Coolant Expansion Tanks?

It’s coming up to the 10 year coolant change.
So will be changing the FL22 coolant, thermostat (good practice) and was going to replace the expansion tank with a Mazda one.
However, have seen these (apparently not Chinese direct imports).
They do look well made and not the ridiculous price of some of the others out there.
Thoughts?

Dave fab one was rubbish.
The eBay jobs didn’t inspire confidence.
I went with moroso.

If cost an issue go buy another oem one tbh

2 Likes

Yes, I bought and fitted one to my NC. Very easy to fit, with no need to drain anything down, other than the tank itself.
Have done 10,000 miles since I fitted it with no issues. That includes winter, summer and track days.

2 Likes

Spotted these yesterday, was concerned if Chinese, but they do look a bargain.

Agreed, but just can’t make my mind up to go with one or stick with the OEM. :man_shrugging:
“MySport” took a successful punt though…
It’s one of those head or heart moments. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks for that and was very surprised to hear that the Dave Fab one was rubbish.
Perhaps because Ram Air filters took it over, who knows really.
Yes, the Moroso, (very good quality though) is a tad expensive and getting that past her indoors would be rather difficult!
Many thanks for replying. :+1:

Head ruled, OEM Mazda one bought.
Thanks all can be closed I reckon now. :+1:

Rubbish in what sense?

I installed a davefab one a month ago… Only driven it twice since, but it seems to be doing it’s job?

Well it looks pretty robust to me and i would have thought its got to be tougher than the plastic one.
My only issue is how do you know its coolant level, say if car is hot . You have to wait for it to cool down first before opening lid.
I use mine on track and i think it may be a worthwhile upgrade to be honest.
Let us know if you go ahead with it.

1 Like

Hi, as above I bought the Mazda one.
Like you, no window for level.
I also thought the Dave Fab one would be good but again as above apparently not. :man_shrugging:
The Moroso one is far too cost prohibitive in my opinion.
Perhaps one of life’s little mysteries.
:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Hmm, I bow to others’ expert opinions about it.

My Davefab tank is an isolated sample, however it has been faultless so far and therefore I’m happy with it. I did need to fettle it slightly before fitting, and maybe this is what has made some people unhappy.

Some words and pics in this post below show how I fitted it without draining or losing any water;

I chose it above other metal tanks simply because it was black and it has a sight glass to indicate coolant level. When it is up to temperature, one can also see the coolant circulating past the tiny window.

I soon took off the sticky metallic label to improve the look in the engine compartment.

2 Likes

This Davefab tank has been on 3 NC’s now (bought secondhand then moved over to my 2nd NC) looks well made to me and has the view glass to keep an eye on the level.

1 Like

I originally bought a davefab oil catcher, which had pretty bad design and build features that i explain in this thread. I also bought an IL motorsport one (that didn’t seem to be any different to the ebay offerings - no sight glass and also had missing welds. both of which went back.

I also had a davefab coolant tank ordered and found the same quality issues as with RichardFX (link)
I didn’t take the sight glass out but having had the oil catch can I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just threaded on the side of the aluminium coolant tank.

For the reasons above it went back, ordered the moroso one and never looked back.