NC Wing Vents *WARNING CONTROVERSIAL*

So i did a thing - not to everyone’s taste im sure!
The Dremel came out this weekend and i began chopping my wings up! These are 3D printed so did take a bit of prep etc with sanding/painting bla…
Obviously now i have so much down force its essentially a GT3 RS without the price tag… i Joke… i just liked the styling really - not too sure if it offers much of a benefit

6 Likes

You’ve got me to thinking about a fix for a silly thing I did a while ago whilst shifting furniture in a Luton tail-lift van.

Hmmmmmm…

3 Likes

Without going to a detail discussion as to why (I presume you have looked at that before cutting the fenders) and to an extend depending what your aim for the louvres was… knowing where to put these louvres is important. allowing to cool the brakes is a good thing but doing it so with louvres you could actually increase lift (which is something you don’t want to do) not that the mx5 goes that fast anyway…
Presumably you have made them functional so also removed the liner so you could now end up with a continuous spray on your windscreen.

If the intend was looks then… meh

If the intend was to cool the brakes I wouldn’t go that way at all. You could do that easily with some ducts. There are kits that use the fog light mounts as inlets. If its for road legal car, without taking the fog lights out you could then 3d print something to channel the air to the brakes…

2 Likes

Ah, wing louvres, they’re the latest new automatic low-energy, green, windscreen and side-windows washers system…

But you also need to remove the wheel arch liners to achieve the most comprehensive wash, and incidentally improve the full gram-reduction strategy benefit.

:grinning:

4 Likes

Looks good Jay, nice work :+1:t2:

1 Like

yep for those who are asking im cutting an intake in the liner next weekend - just didn’t have the LP jack to get the wheels off and sort this weekend.
also to add - yes the guy in the usa that 3D printed them did have a bunch of info as to the improvement in down-force etc etc and that they’re functional and not just for looks - theres also a couple of guys with turbo /SC builds with the same ones (in the exact same place) - im not saying it works or not - i liked the looks and the idea that maybe it gives some level of performance - if not - well then the MX5 is never really reaching speeds that downforce plays a huge roll

2 Likes

Very useful to know, thanks for sharing! :+1:

2 Likes

They look good actually, but after reading @ckleanth post, I hope they function too!

3 Likes

LOL i knew this was coming!
i feel like i need to tag the other guys in with the serious turbo builds that have the same ones as they’re far more techie than me - but in terms of positioning no - i didnt slap them anywhere - i had measurements etc

1 Like

Turbo owner here and i have to say they look great. Car looks superb as well.
I have gone through 3 sets of discs on mine and thats with ducts at the front feeding more air in.
I think these may be the next mod to see if it keeps the discs from over heating.
Any links to where you got them from please.
Regards
Rob.

3 Likes

Look very professional / OEM .
I fancy some bonnet vents but haven’t found any vented bonnets or vents that I like… . .

1 Like
1 Like

Ive opted for this Porsche gt3 front vent… not fitted yet though, waiting for warmer weather.

1 Like

I like those better than I thought I would, especially with your thread title! :smiley:

1 Like

Apologies controversial reply. I’m an engineer so for me function takes priority over looks. Now having said my disclaimer…

Honestly before people start cutting fenders I would wait for the chap to assess how the grill affects water drainage and changes to visibility.

As for how well it works to cool down the brakes, personally I reckon the OEM ducts would do better job in comparison.

And yes you already have OEM ducts. This is not a dust shield

You don’t need any of that for road use. Obviously its your car you do whatever you want with it.

If we are talking about cooling brakes for track use…
Pads. Winmax w5 pads :ok_hand:

If I would be looking for additional cooling for heavy track use i would go bigger disks and callipers first, then get good pads for this setup.

Cooling brakes will prolong the life of your braking system. So use something like this

Then and as last resort I would consider louvres but I would place them further forward the arch (as the papers suggest). A better place to put the air exit would be on the side of the door but that will need a new side wing design.

However the mx5 isn’t a heavy car comparatively so honestly IMHO I struggle to believe these louvres will make quantifiable difference (other than looks).

1 Like

Clearly, you only have yourself to blame. Before doing anything to the car you own and drive why, oh why, did you not consult the Aero Gods of MX-5 OC?

Any further work you do from here onwards is meaningless…unless it is tested in a hermetically sealed tunnel of infinite length with all the air removed and replaced with the 100% pure rabbit farts.

Tut, tut (headshake) - what an amateur.

4 Likes

How did you know I used to do that as a job :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Completely off-topic, but excellent username!

1 Like

Nice wind turbine model: I used to lead a wind turbine design team.

1 Like

side-tracking in this discussion I guess but that was one of the simple models (only external flow). Later on I have done some interesting stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes