NC3 Central locking help needed

I have an issue where the drivers side doesn’t lock with the key fob, but does unlock. It locks normally with the key, but the door has recently been replaced and I am not sure if it had been locking since then as I haven’t driven it as much as I might! Does anyone have some advice as to what it might be?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC2__
  2. I’m based near: Portsmouth
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Central Locking

actuators fail regularly, not a difficult job

1 Like

Have a read and determine whether this is your problem.

1 Like

Thanks Mick, that looks like a pretty comprehensive post

Do they start to fail intermittently? Just wondered if this is not just something coming unhooked when door was rebuilt. Thanks for reply though, I will keep an eye open for an actuator

Yes it can be very intermittent at first and others have also reported when the door gets warm. Mine at first when left with the drivers door parked in full sun wouldn’t unlock. Later it started to work again, didn’t think anymore of it until it started playing up again. Got to the point when I said I need to do something about it.
Thanks to this forum someone else had similar troubles and posted about it and their fix. Seems usually the driver’s side, well that gets the most use so will fail first.
eBay was my first call, about £25 for a known working SH one. Still working to this day, about 3 years or more since I changed it. Dealers have them new of course, just make sure you get driver or passenger side, they are handed.

2 Likes

Cheers Mick… another job to do :grinning:

Exactly same fault I had on mine when I was buying, dealer fitted a new actuator assembly and been perfect since.

1 Like

Is it a dealer only part? I can’t see them on the MX5 Parts website.

might be worth checking with whoever rebuilt the door, did they change it? or is the old one available

1 Like

main dealer or considerably less on ebay…

1 Like

It was all the old internals, just bought the door shell

Ordered one through Breakerlink which should here tomorrow, then the fun and games of fitting it😊

1 Like

probably have some broken door clips, rest is pretty basic if you take your time, some of the mechanical fixings and links can be a bit tricky, particularly driver side, there is a rubber plug to take out near the top to get at the lockshield not, which wasn’t mentioned in the youtube video I looked at

1 Like

Thanks Mike, will get some clips in advance!