ND reversing camera kits now available in the for sale section

I have developed a reversing camera kit that integrates with the MZD Connect unit in the ND. All plug and play with no cutting or splicing of the existing loom. I have fitted my prototype kit in my own car and start to finish was just under an hour and a half but that included taking pictures and making notes to produce a set of instructions.
Ā 
I have seen reports of cameras on other aftermarket kits being prone to condensation. The camera I have used is specified as being waterproof to IP67. I had my prototype kit running with the camera in water for over an hour with no problems and also on continuous soak test for 48 hours.
Ā 
I currently have parts on order to make up more kits for sale. I'll be selling on eBay but also on this forum for a lower price. I'll post the price when I have kits for sale and am not looking to take reservations until I have the kits built and tested for sale.
Ā 
Picture of the kit and screen shot below. Also take a look at the instruction sheet I've produced. I would appreciate any comments good or bad and suggestions for improvements.

Ā 

Ā 

1 Like

Well done, hope it is a success for you.

The instructions look good;Ā  the most obvious way to improve/augment them would be with a video for RHD cars.

Very nice, if I was clever enough to be able to fit it I would defiantly have one.

Cheaper than the Mazda kit presumably?Ā  Looks a good option.

Iā€™ve watched ā€˜how toā€™ videos in the past and yes they can be useful. I also watched a YouTube video for a similar kit several times before doing my own installation. However I think installation using my written instructions is likely to be simpler than watching, pausing, going back and trying to see a laptop or tablet screen while performing all the steps for installation. Thanks for the comment about the instructions.

1 Like

Have a read of the instructions. There are two studs (screws) to remove and replace, one hole to drill, a few plugs to disconnect and replace. Everything else just clips together. The way all the trim goes together is more Lego than Meccano.

1 Like

I did read them Roadie. I am hopeless at this type of thing. You should offer a fitting service for bumpkins like me.

Ā 

John :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too!  Iā€™m going to ask my nephew if he could do it for me, heā€™s an electrician by trade and a car tinkerer for fun.

I believe the Mazda kit is around Ā£350 so definitely cheaper than that.

Iā€™m aware of two other after market kits at around Ā£250 and Ā£130 and will be cheaper than those too.

Under Ā£100 and that doesnā€™t mean Ā£99.99 either.

The main stumbling block in the project is that the MZD Connect only provides power for the camera at six volts and most cameras on the market are 12 volt models. My kit has a voltage converter built in to the adapter unit to ensure that everything works together. After testing various adapters, voltage converters, cables and cameras Iā€™ve arrived at a solution with reasonably priced and reliable components that work well together. The camera fits in one circular hole made using the drill provided. Far simpler for DIY installation than the odd shaped hole required for the genuine Mazda camera. Iā€™ve just had a delivery of 10 cameras and found one to be faulty. Iā€™m testing all the individual components and then will test the complete kits before dispatch. Every kit I send out will have been fully tested. While the MZD is a nominal 6 volt output this is defined as being between 5.8 and 6.2 volts. I test from 5.6 to 6.4 volts. Nothing worse than buying something and finding it doesnā€™t work. I want to be 100% sure that any kit I send out will work first time.

While Iā€™ve spent some considerable time so far in research and development, producing additional kits will not be too time consuming. I would rather make a fair profit an plenty of sales than selling a few at what I would think a rip off.

2 Likes

Probably about an hours labour involved. Bought my ND from Kidderminster and itā€™s about 3 hours either way from Lincoln. Going to be a bit pricey!

The ā€˜tinkererā€™ would look like the best option. Mechanics, electricians and technicians in general tend to have high hourly rates. Tinkerers tend to work for the price of a pint or two.

Instructions are good, I fitted the Ventura one which is now rebadged and sold by MX-5 Parts (and the subject of the video in question), been on the car for a year and a half now.

You can do it, its just a matter of pulling the plastic covers off. Watch the Ventura video for taking them off. when I did I probably spent more time watching the vid than working. Used a straightened out wire coat hanger to get through to the boot.

You can do it Shiny.

I still have a year of warranty left so took a deep breath and got Holdcroft Mazda in Stoke to fit the Mazda official one. Works great, cost circa Ā£520 including VAT fitted. Turns out they had a right mare fitting it as it didnā€™t spark up properly and they ended up spending circa 5 hours overall. They could not have been nicer and their service manager Carl is a real petrol head who made sure absolutely everything was OK and we had a proper enthusiasts chat when I picked the car up.Ā 

Ā 

Yes it it was a lot but hey, I also have a LR Discovery and they charged Ā£320 for swapping front brake pads so everything is relative!

1 Like

Where does the red/yellow/green graphic come from Roadie, is it generated by the standard MZD software/firmware?Ā  Does the camera position/aim need to be ā€˜calibratedā€™ to it?Ā Ā 

The coloured graphics are generated within the camera. There is no means of calibration. As it is a generic camera and with the low mounting position in the MX-5 the side lines are probably about 250-300mm in from the side of the car. The red line parallel to the back of the car is around 400mm from the back of the car at ground level.

After fitting turn on the ignition without starting the car, engage reverse, drop the hood and go around the back. Quite easy to watch the screen and position your feet on the lines. Look down and thatā€™s where the markings are. Effectively you are calibrating your brain rather than the camera! If all else fails find a nice big cardboard box, stick it on your drive and practice reversing up to it.

As Iā€™m going to be selling a system which is similar in principle and operation to other aftermarket items I donā€™t want to name names for fear of copyright infringement so the following statement is a little vague.

Looking at a video of a similar system on a popular video sharing website it would appear that the use of generic cameras is the norm. From freezing the video at the appropriate moment the lines on the system in question would seem to be in a similar position to the lines on my system.

I would assume that the side lines on the genuine Mazda system would line up with the side of the car. At Ā£520 fitted as has been quoted previously in this thread I would expect them to be to within about 10mm!

In the short time Iā€™ve had my system fitted Iā€™ve found it very useful. When reversing into a parking bay the actual position of the lines doesnā€™t really matter. Itā€™s the relative position to the side markings of the bay and any vehicles either side that make it so much easier to line the car up square and centrally in the bay. I have my door mirrors adjusted fairly high to see vehicles behind in normal traffic. Very difficult to see line markings without readjusting them every time. The camera takes care of that.

As it is plug and play there are no alterations to the vehicle wiring so shouldnā€™t invalidate the warranty. If the system were removed it would leave one hole on the underside of the plastic bumper and a hole in an existing grommet. Plug in connections take power from the MZD in the same way that a phone charger plugged into the accessory socket does. The same plug in connection feeds a video signal into the MZD in the same way that a USB stick with music on feeds a data signal into the unit.

Have to say, a great rear camera modification kit by the looks of things? I donā€™t own a ND but if I did, this would be a definite on the list of additions, more so at the suggested sub Ā£100 price pointĀ Ā Clear instructions with several ā€œholdā€ points along the way ( check/caution) to help folk with their install. As a committed tinkerer myself, itā€™s just the sort of thing Iā€™d go for. Looks very well thought out and thoroughly tested. Well done that manĀ Good luck with this product and even if purchasers felt unsure Ā about installing this kit themselves and had to pay an auto electrician, still looks a great value addition to your pride and joy IMO.

Barrie

just fitted my camera from mx5 parts very easy to fit started at 5.00 was on the road by 6.00 fitted to a RF LOOKS GOOD another blind spot gone

Hey, Roadie. Have you set a Forum Member price for this reversing camera kit yet? Iā€™ve been looking for a nice 6v camera to work with the Mazda loom but itā€™s very limited. The idea of a booster step up worries me a little as it draws its power from the (expensive to replace) MZD Connect.Ā 

Also, did you look at the cameras from Sinosmart (Ali)? The red one looks like a possible match for your (and my) Soul Red ND? The hole size is a good deal smaller too.