ND Security question

Following a spate of recent car thefts on my estate of high end vehicles (Range Rover/Mercedes etc) the common feature was keyless ignition. It got me to thinking how secure is my 2021 Keyless ND. I did a quick google search but couldn’t see much mention of break ins or thefts but thought I would just pose the question here. As a precaution when not being driven I keep both sets of keys in faraday pouches but obviously when out and about should I be worried about some lowlife in a car park scanning for my key signal - thoughts?

Don’t ask me how I know , but if you put your key in a Faraday pouch and then lock it in the boot you are in deep s***.

5 Likes

I have a faraday box i bought for my keys at home. It will hold 4-6 keys so good for the whole household. So has my spare key in there too. Lots on amazon.

If im out at shows I tend to use a single key faraday pouch.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks guys - appreciate I can take portable faraday pouches with me but that’s a faff. I’m more interested in any other information about how secure it is without doing that?

You can turn off the key when you’re not using it to stop it transmitting. I think it’s under power saving mode in the Owner’s Manual.

Does a typical car thief want to steal a 2 seater?

There’s a new hack going around for keyless cars where they don’t need to scan your key, rendering the faraday fix useless.

I’ve now built an immobiliser for my daily, and toying with the idea of disconnecting the keyless door buttons.
I’ll resort to good old fashioned plip.

I don’t think they are bothered whether it’s 2, 4, or 7 - they are mostly stolen to sell on or for parts.

:flushed: this is exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about - although the high price might put the casual car jackers off :crossed_fingers:t2::pray:t2:

Until it comes down in price.
I’m on the Kia forum, one of the forum members says he had his Sportage stolen using this method, he uploaded a cctv video, the thief came no where near his house.

I have taken to using a Milenco High Security Steering Lock. This is Sold Secure Gold Standard and about as secure as you can get. Certainly enough to deter the average car thief armed with a scanner. It fits nicely next to the drivers seat in the ND so is always handy.

Maybe, but Range Rovers etc. are much more of a target as parts are far more expensive and they are much more common (hence a bigger market) than MX-5s. Range Rovers are also much better for ram raiding or drugs running than MX-5s. I think that an MX-5 is much less likely to be stolen than a Range Rover. Ask any insurer.

I’m tempting fate but I never give car security a second thought and I’m not going to start worrying now. in 50 years driving I’ve had one case of vandalism and three break ins to my cars . I might worry if I had a Range Rover but how many MX5 are nicked anyway ? Everyone (except me ) seems to covet stupidly massive SUVs but 90% of MX 5 owners are tragic old gits like me . And we don’t nick much do we?

1 Like

I just think they are a bit impractical. I suppose late at night when you’re tucked up in bed, but I’d get fed up of fitting it whilst nipping to the supermarket.

Got one of these too.
Fits nicely at the side of the seat when not in use

1 Like

I have a 21 plate. I’m still toying with the idea of a kill switch. It’s just finding someone who can fit it, My local Mazda dealer was no help.

They’d have to push mine on to a truck…if they start it the exhaust will wake up the whole village…

1 Like

Strangely if you select reverse gear and start the car it will make less noise.

Obviously with your exhaust it will all be relative but they may get away with it before the neighbours wake up!!!
:heart:

How about fitting one of these?

https://amzn.eu/d/36OGVf6

like you said they are targeting high end motors range rovers and mercs not Mazda’s think you will be safe