ND1 TPMS issue

I have a 2016 ND and the tyre pressure warning light came on the other day (overnight in the garage) and the traction control, ABS and general brake warning also. I checked the tyre pressures and they were all spot on. I tried resetting the TPMS with the button on the dash and the lights did go out but came back on after about 1 mile :grimacing: Iā€™ve tried several times doing the reset and the same thing happens. Am I resetting the the system wrongly? Is there a genuine fault (not punctures)? Is this going to be a dealer only fix?

Thanks.

Just check your brake fluid level on the off chance that it is low and causing the issue.
:heart:

2 Likes

I did have a quick look at that and it seemed OK, will have a closer look.

The next ā€˜freeā€™ thing to try is disconnect the battery earth for 5 minutes then reconnect and see what happens. (You will lose some of your mpg data)

Ah yes will give that a go too, Ta.

Had a look at the brake fluid and it looks OK, clean and reservoir full.

I think the 2016 ND TPMS runs from the ABS ring (noticing a difference in wheel rotation speed usually related to a drop in pressure) rather than the valve sensor on later models.

The fact that the other warnings have come on suggest it could be an ABS sensor issue, check the wires (any mice in your garage?) or possibly a faulty sensor.

4 Likes

Yes I think it is an ABS based TPMS system. I donā€™t think any mice have got to it. I did have a look in the engine bay before it came off winter SORN looking for chewed wiring and didnā€™t see any and I have been using for about a month since coming off SORN.

I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and have put it on charge in case it was a low voltage causing an issue (although it was showing 12.8 volts which I think is OK), lets see how it is in the morning.

This all points to an ABS sensor issue whether the sensor itself or the wiring.

You will need an OBD scan whether at a dealer or on a diy basis can help identify.

Some useful info at the link.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a multimeter unfortunately. I do have a cheap (LIDL or Aldi) ODB scanner but when I tried it earlier it kept saying link error, so I will have to have another look at that tomorrow.

Thanks for that link, at least I might be able to have a look at the wires gong to the sensor now I know where it is.

Edit to add: looking at the bottom of that page I have multiple warning lights as per the description so itā€™s looking a bit ominous!

The wheel speed sensors on ND are MR type not inductive so shouldnā€™t be tested with an ohmmeter. A fault code read is really needed in this case.

1 Like

Good job I donā€™t have one then! Iā€™ll try and get the code reader working.

Couldnā€™t get the code reader working (manual says that something might be blocking itā€™s access, it was only a cheapie so I blame that) Dash still lit up like a xmas tree so will try and jack up each wheel and see if I can see any loose/chewed wires tomorrow if I have the time.

1 Like

Have you tried plugging in the reader and then starting the engine?

No I just followed the manual instructions, plug in, switch on so that dash lights come on then let it scan which it appears to do then it briefly shows ā€œlink errorā€.

I had exactly the same on a 3 series BMW and it was the ABS which was faulty. The instrument binnacle had just about every warning light illuminated.

Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking my issue is. Havenā€™t had chance to have a poke around underneath yet, hopefully will later in the week. On the infotainment there are 4 warnings too but they only repeat what the warning symbols are saying on the dash. Got a feeling it will have to be a dealer visit and get them to interrogate the OBD to give me the bad news.

Went out earlier today and the warning lights were on as usual, parked up for about 10 minutes, got in started the car and no warning lights! Got home, parked up for a few hours before going out again and no warning lights, did some shopping got in the car and the warning lights were back on :confounded: Unloaded the shopping and went back out 10 minutes later all the warning lights were still there as I started off but within 25 yards they all cleared, FFS.

Still havenā€™t had chance to physically inspect the sensors/wiring but at least Iā€™m thinking a faulty sensor and hopefully diagnostics will pick it up quickly rather than have to try and chase down a random intermittent fault gggrrr!