New caliper still sticking

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk3.5
  2. I’m based near: Hemel
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: possibly sticking caliper

I recently replaced the front left caliper on my mk3.5 as the old one was sticking (had a mechanic confirm)

After replacing, it is still noticeably harder to spin the wheel on that side, and get much hotter after a drive. I bled the caliper after installing. I replaced the slide pins, and I greased the pan shims/slider plate things.

I have new pads and discs, but I don’t want to install them if they are going to be burned through quickly again!

Any and all advice welcome, and happy to provide further info or pictures if needed.

If you are near Hemel, I can recommend Japex in Kings Langley, really nice approachable guys.

1 Like

Love Japex! They are actually the ones who diagnosed the caliper initially and did my alignment! If i cannot get this solved this week, I was planning on booking an appointment with them for the brakes and a few other bits.

1 Like

Would be unusual for a brand new caliper to exhibit exactly the same issue as the one you took off. Could it not be a knackered wheel bearing that’s causing the increased friction and excess heat?

1 Like

Or possibly the part of the disc you can’t see (the rear) is worn, rusty more than that side you can see.
I’ve experienced it with another car a few years ago. The dealer fitted new pads and sent me on my way, 2 weeks later I was getting noise upon braking and an hot disc on one side, the backs of both discs were disintegrating with rust. Extreme, yes but it cost me another set of pads and obviously new discs that time.

1 Like

The disc itself is definitely the warmer component, and the wheels have alot more brake dust on one side than the other.

To your second comment about the rear of the disc, I hadn’t thought of that… Will have a look!

Edit: Oh wait that is Mick haha. Well regardless I will have a look.

Hi,
jack both front wheels of the ground & get someone to press the brake pedal hard, try & rotate each front wheel to see if equal pressure is being applied to both brakes.Release pedal & see if both wheels rotate as freely as each other.If not gently release bleed nipple on side which is sticking, if fluid squirts out & wheel frees off you have a flexible brake hose which has collapsed internally.
Also make sure that both discs are OK & that pads are not sticking in their slides as a sticking pad can soon create a lot of heat which will magnify the problem .

5 Likes

Me again!

The fluid did seem to shoot out more on the left side than the right, so I replaced the hose, only to find myself right back at square one. I have to assume the pads are sticking or not releasing properly? I am now looking to order new brake fitting kits, just in case that is what the issue is.

If that doesn’t work, I think I have to give it to the pros.

What lube did you use on the slide pins ?
Did the piston retract enough so that the caliper moves easily side to side when assembled with pads ? ( Before you have pressed the pedal to re-seat the pads to the disc )

Not sure on the lube, I just used what came with the replacement pins. They slide freely.

I did NOT fully push the piston back in though, possibly a bit amateur on my side… I will do that tomorrow before anything else.

When I assembled my refurbed calipers - even on new pads & discs - there was at least 3mm of side movement in the caliper before seating the pads.

If you do go down the caliper rebuild kits - I can recommend the Frentech kits

Where did you get the pad clips/slider bits for the pads? I can only find them out of stock listed on Bofi.

One other thought - without the caliper fitted - do the pads move fairly easily across the fitting shims in the carrier ?
I have known some pads to jam slightly in the carrier and need minor filing to move easily.

1 Like

Frentech Brakes

It felt free enough to me, but I am going to double-check this again tomorrow!

Exactly the symptoms of a stuck caliper when I had on a Swift Sport back in '17.
One wheel with much more brake dust (and to be sure, after just washing them and going for a drive), and one wheel much hotter when you put your hand by it.
Garage said stuck caliper, so had a new caliper, rear pads and a brake fluid change. Fine after that.

Yeah the original issue was a fully seized caliper, whats weird is that even with the replacement caliper it has the same issues.

When you replace a caliper you don’t fix issues with sliders. The sliders form part of the carrier. Unless you were supplied both components you still could have an issue with the carrier, guides and pins. I normally renew the stainless inserts that carry the pads but before that throughly clean and scrape out any rusty deposits otherwise the pads can be a tight fit and get stuck.

1 Like

By sliders do you mean the pins that go into the bracket that holds the caliper?

I did replace those, and cleaned the slots/tubes that they go into thoroughly, so they slide freely now.

I also TRIED to clean the metal plates that the pads sit on, and put some copper ease on them, but I am now thinking maybe I didn’t do a good enough job. Today I am going to clean those again, fully push the caliper back into the housing (I have the proper tool), and try swapping the pads around just to see if they slide more freely on one side than the other.

EDIT:

Why I say the things the pads sit on, I am referring to these: Brakefit Front Brake Pad Fitting Kit for Mazda MX-5 NA 1.6 NB 1.8 Sport & All NC

If anyone knows where I can get a full kit of those for front and rear, please let me know. They are out of stock on Bofi :frowning:

It’s more the cast slots in the carrier that the stainless shims fit into. If they have heavy rust deposits on them the shims don’t fit properly. Not necessarily what your issue is but good practice at preventing issues.