New disk on a ND2 less than 3 years old!

I have had my 30AE from new for less than 2 and half years. I have been told today that my break disks are so badly corroded than I need 4 new disks. (Pads are still fine) Is this normal for a MX5? No new car I have had needed disks so soon.

Oh and It is a daily driver

How many miles and have you done and has it seen any circuit action?
Oh, and if the discs are replaced the pads should be as well.

1 Like

Take care, this can be a ‘profit enhancement initiative’ by the dealer.
I would want to see exactly what they are seeing and ask ‘will it pass an MOT’ and then get a second opinion.
Just as an aside I am given to understand that the front discs on Brembo equipped cars are of a different quality. They certainly look different. Needles to say the pads are different as well.
To say you need new discs but not pads is setting alarm bells ringing, proceed with due caution.
:heart:

1 Like

Ask why?
Are they corroded and in MOT terms deteriorated to the extent that they are seriously weakened or are they just “worn out”
The min thickness front is 20mm and rear 7.5mm. If they are down anywhere near this then they need to be replaced. If badly corroded then they still need to be replaced unless they can be re faced to at least 1mm more than the minimum, even then a new set would probably be advisable for the longer term.
Definitely new disc, new pad - no question.

Expect that’s a dealer opinion.

As long as they are above min thickness and the pads have plenty of meat on them they are fine, just need to be used more.

1 Like

I know they will need to be done just surprised they need doing after only 19k road miles, no track stuff et c. Did not account for needing £500 worth of pads and disks every 2.5 years on top of normal servicing costs. We have a new Mazda 3 I hope that will not need the same.

1 Like

It would be good to see some pictures, can you pop some up for us sceptics to look at and pass judgement.

The garage did say they took some but they did not show them to me. I will ask to see if they can send me them.

They did say pads need doing as well. I was just surprised the the disks did not last 20k of daily driving

My NC’s rear discs rusted up just parked at Gatwick for a couple of weeks one winter.
The worst one needed to be skimmed.
New pads definitely necessary.
After that I took wheel covers to protect them if left out for long periods.
The saga here with pictures.

2 Likes

Disks and pads are consumables. IMHO depending if you clean the car from the salt, the roads you drive it and the amount of the stuff on the roads you drive…

Just checked on eurocarparts and you can change the disks and pads with Brembo disks and Brembo road use pads for 200 squids front and back…

1 Like

Are you sure? Remember the 30AE has 4 pot fixed callipers with special discs and pads.
By all means pop up the parts you are looking at so we can check.

1 Like

I dont have his car reg - I just tried it with a 2019 ND RF, but it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. A couple of months go I bought disks and pads for my NC for about the same cost (but because I will do quite a few trackdays I also bought track pads afterwards)

I beg to differ, what you have seen is NOT what is on the 30AE.

fair enough… I missed that its the 30AE.

I guess that you pay extra for the premium to have a special version then… :innocent:

1 Like

My Suzuki Swift Sport ones went around the same time.

1 Like

My AE30RF had done 16k at two years, no comments on disks other than visual ok, pads at 20% worn.

It tries to be a daily driver but that was knocked on the head by lockdown and WFH. So it’s only done 19k now.

I suspect the dealer may be trying it on, although I remember my 106Rallye went through pads and disks at the same time - a corollary of only getting 10mpg out of it at times!

Disks only is definitely a try on. Stealers rarely know what they’re doing. Every time I had my Volvo serviced they would rearrange the tyres wrongly!

No AE30 needs an MOT before this summer?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.