New Forum - my observations so far

Works fine on my Mac, this reply is from my iPad, let’s what happens

No problems with iPad

It’s certainly colourful.Taking me a bit of getting used to. Not sure I have properly yet.Im a 56 year old technophobe,do all this on a Samsung tablet. Just back from 3 days working in London and had to ask the hotel receptionist how to connect to their wifi

Geoff,

This probably deserves its own thread. Mine isn’t real though :shushing_face:

Just spent 15 minutes and several attempts trying to upload a photo to another car Forum. Thank goodness we don’t have that problem any more.

Android phone test

Why not just update the OS, I’m on about 13 I think
Geoff

Geoff - My iPad uses ios9 and the new forum needs ios10 or later. I no longer get notifications for updates and assumed that I would need to buy a new iPad to progress passed ios9?

Edit - it seems ios10 only works on iPad 4th generation or newer. Mine is 3rd generation

1 Like

I understand, both my iPad and iPhone hit that wall at the same time. The screen was stuffed and the battery wouldn’t go beyond 80% on the phone and the iPad screen was cracked so I changed both and got a good deal at my local GoodGuys store

Sorry . But i think the layout is awful. Too confusing and busy
Think ill be using it a lot less and resorting to facebook . God help me

1 Like

Won’t work on my old ipad. bloody Apple! gonna have to buy a new one. Typed this on my Macbook, which I very rarely use.

1 Like

Ah ha! finally found how to quote :smiley:
Have to admit I do prefer the older block categorised forums (like the last forum had) over the more modern approach that this and other forums use, however little by little I’m getting used to the changes, just a case of try it and see if it breaks. :wink:

That was one benefit of Android based devices, being open source there were online forums that released the newer Android OS versions to work on older hardware to keep things going that bit longer.

I’m watching my own iPhone slowly turning obsolete in terms of apps etc. a fair few apps now can’t update to a newer version as a newer iOS version is required. I’ve occasionally thought of selling it but even if every custom app and web page out there stops working on it, it still has a decent camera and storage space with the added bonus it can make phone calls too.

I still have my first Android phone and even though it can no longer make phone calls since the operator disconnected my sim card through lack of use, it still has useful features on it that may come in handy such as an inbuilt FM radio.

For anyone out there who solely used an iPad for forum browsing, might I suggest maybe an old Windows based tablet since you can pick one up for £20-30 running Windows 10 and that way you’ll be able to use Firefox/Chrome and on the day Windows 10 updates finally make it too slow to run, there’s always a clean install or one of the free Linux operating systems to install on it (when you’re feeling daring).

1 Like

Hi Barrie.
PLEASE don’t go! You’ve got some great mates on here, including me, and a very interesting thread that is of general interest, not car related!!! If I as a 76 year old techno thickie can learn to deal with the new forum’s lay-out then I’m sure that someone with your abilities can! Stick with it buddie!!!

5 Likes

Yep same for me, I limped along with the the old iPad for long enough. TBH i did get a new one (7th gen) for Christmas from Mrs B but still do not like the layout/view of the forum now. Nice to hear Roger (country boy) back on the scene and John (cypher) getting his ‘fix’!

Found a Sansui retro system on FB marketplace, linear tracking TT, 9 series amp, tuner and twin cassette. Quite good back in the day but not top end stuff. After several msgs with seller who assured me it was perfect condition, fully working etc, I made a 160 mile round trip to buy it. Only to find it was damaged,broken,defective etc, etc. These folk should be locked up!

Anyway, MrsB was pleased I hadn’t bought another setup!

Barrie

Barrie

2 Likes

Hi Roger, nice to hear from you, great you’ve managed to get to your equipment at last, even better that it’s all fully functional!

Barrie

1 Like

I’m firmly with Countryboy on this, Barrie. Please don’t let your membership lapse.
I know this is a motoring forum, but I’ve enjoyed our shared posts over the past few months about Retro Hi-Fis - more than I have reading about peoples problems with their MX-5s !

I don’t do change very well myself, and it took me most of last week (when I should have been working !), trying to get to grips with this new-look forum. I still haven’t cracked it yet to be honest, but I’m getting there - I think !

So, keep trying my friend - I’m really looking forward to hearing about your next Hi-Fi purchase. I have so many old stereos dotted around the house, that my wife is beginning to notice.

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Chris, morning mate! Renewals not for 3 weeks yet! Plenty of time to get to grips with stuff :nerd_face:

Barrie

1 Like

Wow! Adding photos on this new forum is a doddle!!! That alone is reason enough for me, the rest I’ll get used to as time goes by - cue for a song?

1 Like

Nice to see you back on here Barrie. I think eventually I will have to buy a new iPad as other apps won’t work on it either. In an earlier post on this thread (post6&7) there are instructions on how to change the background colour to dark. I also increased the font size at the same time as well. Using my mobile now and found these setting reduce glare and make the forum easier to read.

1 Like