New Forum - my observations so far

Haven’t worked out how to post pictures yet - gimme time !

1 Like

TBH, I’ve just posted a link for you tube showing an indicator mod I’ve done and I just pasted the link into the post and it actually has the video showing, not just the link. Maybe I might get to like it after all! :smile:

Barrie

Hmm, noticing the lack of car info from members appearing, even after filling in the initial form, I’ve added mine in the “About me” section. This will also give one an Autobiography Badge (if into collecting badges…)
The info appears under the Area text in ones profile.

1 Like

I’ve added mine too and although it doesn’t appear on your posts if I click on your avatar I can see you have a Niseko. All taking a bit of getting used to but we’ll all get there.

:+1:

1 Like

My two penn’orth.

Took a while to get used to the layout but once I’d spotted the now ‘standard’ three bars mean a menu icon in the top right hand corner I was OK. I must say it all looks a bit ‘pale’ on my high res HDMI monitor though - particularly the panel I am typing in right now - my rheumy old eyes I suppose.

Running my own forum installations - one Joomla/Kunena based and one phpBB (as the old MX5OC forum was) the most immediate benefit appears to be ease of uploading images, particularly from smartphones. This is a common theme among forum operators. A trade off between server capacity, quality of image and ease of use. By The Way the latest phpBB has auto-imaging file compression functionality.

Not that bothered much about ‘likes’ (too much of a Facebook feel. I’m not sure I ever did send or receive any PMs on the old site, so ‘wibble’. Conversion of forum content to a new platform is always tricky. Even just upgrading to a new version of the existing software can be problematic. Far worse when forced by a PHP ‘end of life’ event :frowning: I lost the PMs on ‘The GeN’ (Gilera Enthusiasts Network)) that way… Is this one self hosted or ‘turnkey’ with Discourse paid for support?

Another forum site that I am an admin for is considering a possible switch to an alternative system so I am watching this Discourse based initiative (cf. Xenforo etc.) with much interest.

Nearly missed the obligatory photo upload test.

My daughter does the accounts for a business and sees the statistics counting the various types of their website respondent’s devices. In the last year PCs only accounted for about 10%-15% of hits, the vast majority of interactions were from smart phones, Apple devices were down in the noise with a few percent each type.

So I can understand why the forum needed to be rebuilt.

However, I still find my own so-called ‘smart phone’ to be the dumbest and most obstructive thing to use, ever, when compared with this PC. I guess I’m a dinosaur…

I thought the old forum was YAF, not phpBB.
Also welcome back, according to the large blue message above your post you last posted a year ago (new forums integrate Big Brother I guess :wink:).

It’s their way, or no way - for example moving from Android to iOS I found it incredible (and very annoying) that there was no way to move a cursor in text to alter typos, other than trying to click and watching it go where it wanted but not where I wanted it to :smiley:

tap and hold then drag the cursor to where you want it!

Depends how far back you want to go, YAF in the last iteration, phpBB was an earlier one still.

In my opinion and nothing whatsoever to back this up aside from gut feeling, comments made on this thread and similar, the desktop/laptop is not dead; long live the desktop/laptop.
Have to say I would like to find a tablet or similar to replace my laptop which replaced my desktop so rather than sitting at a Mickey Mouse workstation whilst half watching TV in the lounge I could perhaps be more relaxed. Perhaps someone has a suggestion as to a tablet that has all of the functionality of a laptop?
It is a shame that the new forum has forced some valued members into hardware upgrades or die - a pity this was unavoidable and this not mentioned before the swapover .
Anyway take it on the chin and I look forward to meaningful contributions from the apparent majority of smart phone visitors, whoever you might be :slightly_smiling_face: .

Good Point Well Made - should have said ‘very old’.:wink: phpBB (now version 3.3.0) still has a lot of market penetration, due in part to the still very active extension development. The auto-resizing using client side javascript can achieve compression ratios of approaching 10:1, so a ‘max file size’ on selection of 10Mb is stored at < 1Mb. The way to go though is server side compression then fielding off attachments to the cloud (AWS, Wasabi etc.) . Have a look at Thumpertalk (Dealer hosted USA dirt bike forum) for a really slick site with many.many users and loads of images.

I tend to only drop in if I have an ‘issue’ with my NA 1.8i. It got through another MoT in October after 10 years in my ownership. Still going well with 125000 on the clock. Got to sort out the dangling rear number plate lights though. The new brackets from MX5 parts are on the shelf but I’m waiting for less brass monkeys weather to fit them!

The only real drawback of a tablet for forum use is the touch screen keyboard. I much prefer a good old clicky keyboard. You can get micro usb connection keyboards.Which reminds me that I haven’t tried my old one with my new relatively swanky Fusion Android Tablet. Perfect for the couch surfing plus a bit of forum checking.Not really any good for serious word processing and certainly not for software development.! For that a Linux box running its own web server is where it’s at.

:laughing: I’ve had this phone for 5-6 years and never knew that, and that’s with google searches in the past to try and find some way to do it.

It all depends on what you do with the laptop, as I used to be an IT Technician (and can’t move a cursor on an iPhone - dear, dear the shame of it :smile: ) I used to have to deal with a variety of different Windows based makes/models of tablets, laptops etc.

If all you do is basic web browsing then go cheap and cheerful and maybe even second hand.
I can think of at least one i3 or i5 (think it was i5 but forget off hand) based tablet that even now would probably be more than sufficient if say you also wanted to watch videos/iPlayer etc. etc in addition to forum browsing.

Or you can spend a fortune on a brand new Surface Pro or Lenovo Yoga (no experience with either but they have good reviews).

Bluetooth keyboards as well.

Spring loaded 90’s style one surely? :wink:

Heh! I first started with home computers on a Sinclair ZX80 :wink:

Was the ZX81 for me. Complete with the enormous 16k memory upgrade. Built the add on Maplin keyboard too.

16k! Way too low, I started on a Dragon 32 :wink:
And the phrase “mechanical keyboard” just wouldn’t come to me, hence spring loaded 90’s style - even though of course they’d been around longer :slight_smile:

This thread has moved away from providing feedback on the new forum, and has run its course.