New NC 06' owner. - Steering, suspension and handling questions?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 06’ 1.8i 5 speed NC.
  2. I’m based: North Dorset
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: General steering and handling.

I just wanted to ask a few questions with regards to handling to see if it’s normal what I am experiencing?

This is the first RWD vehicle I’ve driven and owned. It’s really good fun!

I’ve owned it just over a month now and have done close to 1k miles already.

What I have noticed whilst driving is:

1. When breaking, not very hard, the front wheel (not sure which one) occasionally tends to “dig in”, is the best way I can describe it, and the steering wheel tends to pull down to the left. It feels like the tyre is folding in on itself. The tyre pressure all around is set to 28psi.

2. When going over a bump at 55mph the steering momentarily tends to get very light. Is this normal?

3. There’s a clinking sound which sounds like it’s coming from the rear left side of the vehicle when going over a bump.

The vehicle has had 2 previous owners and currently has 46000miles on the clock.

The tyres are a mix of:
Front tyres are Performance 926 205/50 zr16
Rear tyres are Falken Ziex 205/50 r16

Many thanks in advance for any replies. :+1:

Many checks to make

Is your left front brake binding (getting hot) or caliper sticking. Same corner, is the damper doing it’s job, maybe leaking, also check the spring isn’t broken. Check all round really for problems on all 4 corners. The clinking could be a drop link.
The tyres are critical, ideally these cars handle better with 4 matching tyres. Finally you may need an alignment check, it could sort out you issue if none of the above checks do.

Thank you for the reply.

It’s just had it’s MOT repairs. The ball joints and link stabilizer had failed and now replaced, but it was happening before then too tbh.

I was planning on getting some coilovers in the not too distant future. Looking at the MeisterR Sportive.

So it might be worth while getting a new set of tyres and the alignment at the same time?

Looking at this picture I just took, starting from the top left corner are the RR, FR, RL, FL brake discs. The rear right brake disc looks like it’s uneven in use. Only the centre of the disc looks like it’s being used while the outer edges remain untouched compared to the other discs.

I had a daily drivers rear brake disc go the same way as your rear disc, odd wear pattern. Stripped it down and checked, still couldn’t find a reason for it wearing unevenly. New set of discs +pads fitted and it’s been fine since.
Weird wear pattern bottom disc…

I’d suggest looking at the front left disc too, maybe a trick of the camera, do I spy a crack in the disc.

Yes I’d be looking at a complete strip clean lube of the brakes, replace rear discs/pads and then consider suspension but check that too before splashing out on refreshing.

Thanks for sharing that. Added to the list. :sweat_smile:

I will check it in the AM. Thanks for that!.

Looking at the paperwork I have for the vehicle. Only the front brake pads and discs were done in July 2021. Break fluid was done in 2020 at 39000miles.

So now I guess I need to put the work list in priority order.

1. Rear brakes
  2. Tyres
  3. Coilovers
  4. Alignment

Something like that?

I think MickAP has a point about looking more closely at the Front Left.
I don’t see a crack, but the wear pattern is uneven, more like the inner portion has been overheating compared with the outer, in the pic it’s showing different textures and colours.
However, yes, it could be a trick of the light.

The Front Right and both rears look almost correct.

I checked 1st thing and it’s just the light and a few surface marks. :sweat_smile:

Makes me think that I would like to remove the rear brake disc dust cover and get them repainted as they look pretty naf at the moment.

I’ve got a pair of front dust shields to go on, so check yours too. I was replacing just the one as it is self destructing from rust, a piece fell off whilst I was cleaning it up for painting. This is on a 2014 car, I’ve got the pair to replace at some point, hub off job, not looking forward to it.

Would it make sense to get the brake disc dust covers ordered for the time when the do the rear brakes, tyres and coilovers?

I could then refurbish the old ones with cleaning them up with a wire brush and prime and paint if they are in a good enough condition to do so?

Don’t order the shields (front) from Mx5parts, don’t think their stock has left Japan yet. I’ve cancelled my order this very week with them, Autolink had them and I received them in less than 24hrs from placing the order, fantastic service.:+1:

to be honest those are not really dust shields and IMHO their intended purpose is to is to cool and help prolong the life of your disks and pads.

nc front callipers do like to get sticky so as part of maintenance is to take the carrier and put some silicone grease in there. note only one pin has a gasket and if that perishes thats the reason your caliper is getting stuck. Mazda only offers new calliper at 250 quid a pop. You could buy reconditioned or aftermarket unit but I would prefer cleaning and using the stock caliper. there are aftermarket kits you can buy of these pins and seals but arent OEM quality so once you get a sticky caliper checking these and greasing the calipers often is a good thing to do.

Forgive me for getting back on a minor point, search cooling cover and you’ll probably get a cooling kit for brakes.
Search dust cover or shield and you get, yep precisely what you want.

I get your point though, they provide cooling too hence the cranked portion on the fronts.

yea i know you get dedicated fancy cooling kits for brakes that have holes up front and ducts to direct the airflow. and yes fully agree they are called dust covers but really… what do they cover?

I look at it this way, my alloys are completely black from brake dust and that dust comes off the brakes. the reason its on the alloys is because its being pushed out by the duct (the cranked portion on the front).
And I don’t really see anything critical the dust covers need to protect inside the arch (other than keeping the arch and underside clean).
So call them dust covers or air ducts they just do the same job, cool the brakes and push the dust out though the alloys.

You must have got the last LH front one. :smile: :+1:

Is there a brand and type that are come high recommend for road use? Not thinking about track days right now tbh. Let the bank balance recooperate after this initial expense. :smile:

Brembo disks and pads perfect for road and occasional track. Available from pretty much everywhere ( i usually get mine from Eurocarparts) not fan of disks with grooves or dimples as they chew up the pads and i also reckon contribute wrapping the disks. Ebc stuff nah.

I ordered the rear wheel Brembo discs and pads from Eurocarparts, so that’s on it’s way. Thanks for the link.

MeisterR sportive coilovers ordered today from ID-Workz https://id-workz.co.uk/products/meisterr-sportive-coilovers-mazda-mx5-miata-nc-05-15. They have a sale on + I joined the news letter for an extra discount so I think I got lucky with that today which I’m very grateful for. It came to £552 including taxes and shipping.

Got a quote for tyres from my local garage. They stock Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun. 205/50R16 87W @ £340 fully fitted? The tyres are A Rain rated and D fuel efficiency.

My current back tyres are Falken Ziex ZE914… They don’t look too shabby. But as they are the better of the pair that I have, others are Runaway Performance 926, What I might try and do is ask the garage if they could swap the current rear Falken with the Runway performance and then ask to get 2 new Falken ZE914’s for the rear tyres? That could potentially work?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: emm based on that the black stuff is what keeps you on the road its a nope for either of those two from me.

That’s good to know. What do you go with?