New ND - Factory Suspension & Exhaust

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND
  2. I’m based near: __Cheshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __advice on new factory parts

Hi guys, have just heard from Mazda regarding my new ND (2.0 convertible Sport Tech - Soul Red) ordered in early Jan. It is being delivered next week - a week and a half earlier than expected.

When I ordered it, I upgraded to the factory sports suspension and factory sports exhaust. Not even driven an ND yet, but thought it would be good as it will be covered by the factory warranty.

A couple of points of interest:

1.They have just asked what I want them to do with the parts they are taking off, as these parts are fitted by the dealer. I said I may as well have them and they agreed, so I get to keep the standard ones they are taking off and have the new factory parts fitted - result! Something to put in the garage until I get rid of the car probably. I will see how I get on with the sports parts and if I do not like them I can always swap them - otherwise I may sell them.

1. When they change the suspension, they do not do any alignment at all. This is “not included in the price” and they asked if I wanted it doing. I said no, as I am going to take it to Blink Motorsport who are just around the corner anyway.

Looking forward to the drive home - so excited!!!

4 Likes

Sounds like a good result :+1:

Great news! The suspension upgrade was always a dealer-fit option I believe! My 2018 ND2 2.0 had it done by the original owner - Not sure it had alignment checked, but it now has just over 8k on the clock and tyre wear is even across the tread pattern.
In conclusion Snelly, I thin you’ll be happy with the upgrade - I certainly am as it still rides better than my previous 2016 Mk7 Fiesta ST :slight_smile:

Whilst it’s factory fresh, be worth getting some ceramic coating on the paintwork.

Easy to apply yourself actually. Wash the car well, clay the paint work, get it in the garage, panel wipe it over, then apply the coating. Leave inside for 24hrs to cure.

Good idea - thanks for the link - will order some tomorrow. Give me something to do next weekend!

Even more important, get underbody protection, Dinitrol or something of that ilk, before there’s the slightest hint of corrosion. The last thing you want is the paintwork looking pretty whilst the inevitable rust etc., is going to work out of sight! I had mine done within days of taking delivery.

1 Like

I have been all over the forum for a few months and saw the number of comments regarding the upgrade - I had an NA that I sold in January and have never even driven an ND, but I like the look and it is supposed to be a sports car, so what the hell - you only live once!!

Was really excited when the Mazda dealer called today. Like Christmas!!!

1 Like

I remember when I first saw the ND on “Old Top Gear” with Richard Hammond testing the 1.5, thinking I really don’t like the headlights - Fast-forward a few years and I think the ND is a beauty.! The ND deliberately set out to be a 21st Century version of the NA - I’d be amazed if you don’t love it straight away and every day will be like Christmas! :slight_smile:

Well, I guess if you are ever going to buy a car without driving it, it might as well be an MX-5. The risk of being disappointed should be fairly small.
Still, I thought I was crazy for buying the only MX-5 I ever drove…

Just be careful because I believe those items would still need to be disclosed to your insurance as modifications to the original spec. Insurance aside, you won’t have any problems with the exhaust (Bastuck) its not that much louder than the standard one.

Good point re the insurance, declared our dealer fit springs and made no difference to the policy. Even when we declared BBR 220, full BBR exhaust and Wilwood brakes the policy only went up by £15

Hi Snelly,

I had both the lowering springs and Bastuck exhaust on my ND from the suplying dealer.

Springs definitley worth it and without doubt (in my case at least) alignment was needed after, not so much for the tyre wear, but for the driving chracteristics. My ND left the dealership with significant ‘Toe Out’ after the suspension changes and the change to the driving chractristics after the re-alignment was well worth it.

Bastuck Exhaust - hardly any difference to the original and not in my opinion worth the siginficant cost. The BBR back box or Cobalt Back boxes both sound so much throatier and are much cheaper.

Photo of mine attached so you can see the lowered stance:

You are also taking it to the right place for setup, Blink are excellent and know what they are doing. They fitted the springs and set mine up. I’m just at the end of fitting strut braces, MeisterR GT1s, adjustable drop links and Eibach anti-roll bars, the car will be going back to them for setup again.

Thanks - that is exactly what mine should look like!! It looks great!

I will be advising the insurance company - might as well.

I will see how the exhaust goes - but as I have already paid for it, the spare may be advertised on here in a few days.

Well I am picking the car up tomorrow - had a sneak peak yesterday but it needs a PDI/clean.

I picked up the exhaust and springs, which are in my garage. Will wait to check if I like the new stuff and as long as its ok, I will offer the removed stuff on here.

I have advised the insurance company by e-mail about the exhaust and springs, as they do not have a telephone number at all (really frustrating) and have yet to hear back.

The Mazda dealer do not do a realignment after fitting the springs (which was frustrating), they said I could pay them for it, but have booked it into Blink instead, as I feel they will do a better job.

2 Likes

As the suspension and exhaust are dealer upgrades, I wouldn’t expect it to change your premium - But informing them by email is the right thing to do anyway.

Blink will 100% do a better job than the dealer will. You also want to check with the dealer that they are either putting the underbody bungs in or leaving them in the car, they should be fitted as part of the PDI but a lot aren’t and go ‘missing’.

Thanks yes - that is why I chose Blink - the dealer did ask if I wanted to pay them to do it, but I declined as I agree, I would rather pay Blink (booked for 2 weeks time). I saw another thread regarding the bungs, so will be checking them too… Thanks.

new ND front

Well I have it and the exhaust sounds good - very subtle I suppose, but certainly no droning. Cannot comment about the difference in the suspension, as I have not driven a standard one, but it feels fine to me. Just need to swap the pipercross filter at weekend - already done the stubby!

Out of interest - an you lock the car with the roof down? stopped at the garage for fuel and the alarm went off when I tried to lock it with the hood down. Also to out it up again is a faff, you have to get back in, put up the hood, secure it and then you have to start the car to get the windows back up. I can understand the first bits, but the windows are a pain - is there a way round this?

4 Likes

I can lock mine quite happily with the roof down.