New ND2 - Excessive Transmission Movement

Collected my new ND2 on Wednesday, and immediately noticed what I can only describe as “excessive” transmission movement, quite different to cars I have test driven previously.

When I get on and off the throttle the shift lever moves up and down by maybe 10-15mm. Feels very weird when changing 1st to 2nd especially.

Any suggestions as to a probable cause?

(Oh, and before you say “take it back to the dealer”, I’d like to understand what could be happening before letting a grease monkey loose on my new car with a 3 foot pry bar!)

Thanks!

10 - 15mm so about 2 inches… 

Seriously though all I can really say is mine doesn’t do that. I have noticed having moved from an 2015 1.5 to an 2019 2.0 ND2 that there’s quite a difference in the amount of bracing there is in the driveline and underside bracing. Could theorise it’s to counter some of the conditions that ‘may’ have contributed to early gearboxes issue… Perhaps something isn’t tightened or connected properly down there.

Hopefully only 1/2 inch if my conversion skills are up to scratch…

I’ve had my ND2 for about 3 months, now. Moved over from a Cooper S. There’s quite a bit more movement in the ND2 in comparison but, as has been pointed out in other threads, we have a gearstick directly attached to the gearbox and not via remote linkage. So any movement / shudder from the engine / gearbox will be more noticeable.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Just had another trip round the block with the wife taking a little video of the gear knob on her phone.
It is worse that I thought. The up/down movement of the gear shift is more like 30mm getting on and off the throttle in 2nd gear.
This is ridiculous - it cannot possibly be right.

As far as I am aware the engine/transmission/PPF and diff are all one unit, only connected to the shell by the engine mounts and the diff mounts.
Is that correct?
How on earth can there be this much differential movement between the transmission and the body???

https://youtu.be/oCBWUzS9D2o

YouTube Link

No Way should that happen! 

It looks like the PPF is almost not connected at the gearbox end.  Don’t drive it!  Call the dealer to take it away on a trailer.

Good grief that looks like the geabox isn’t bolted down 

Agree with the above. You could go underneath and inspect everything if you are confident that you understand the construction. It looks like something is broken or not attached.

There is absolutely NO movement like that on my 30AE!!!

That’s not attached properly!!!

Do exactly as RichardFX says!!!

Wow. How’d that get out of the factory or out of the dealer final check before handing over  - I thought this included a road test?

Checking tyre pressures is an issue…never mind a competent road test. That’s just the way of it.

As others have said, very definitely something fundamentally wrong there.

Fred, I would suggest that as well as getting back to your dealer you send a copy of that video to Mazda UK for them to make further enquiries as there is something seriously wrong with the car that needs a thorough investigation, maybe a parts failure that would need a recall.

I’m hoping it’s not the sign of a bad batch where a new fitter who has forgotten to do something on a number of cars. It’ll be on my mind now when I collect mine soon.
Fingers crossed it’s a one off and Fred has it resolved soon. Will be good to hear what exactly is the fault and what they say about it.

OK, so just jacked it up for a looksee.

Removed the inspection cover and found this:

Lower PPF to transmission mount.

One nut missing completely, and the other finger tight (they should be torqued up to max 200Nm!)

Witness marks on the bracket appear to show they were done up at some point, so Christ only knows how they came undone…

Been driving it like that for 70 miles so I suspect a PPF fatigue fracture is imminent! :frowning:

“Been driving it like that for 70 miles so I suspect a PPF fatigue fracture is imminent! :(”

Sorry, I do not understand why a PPF fatigue fracture is imminent! Fatigue fracture is caused by repeated cyclic loading over the long term the life of the compnent.

That component has had the loading over a short time and none recently.

Did you not see the video of the gear shift movement?
Only the top PPF to transmission mount was attached, so the PPF must have been bending with every application of throttle.
Does that not sound like “repeated cyclic loading” to you???

Has the car got history of a gearbox replacement/removal? I find it hard to believe that it’s been like that from the factory.

Did you not read the first post? It is a brand new car!
When I collected it there were 6 miles on the clock, and the problem was immediately apparent.

So yeah, not “perfectly normal”…