New ND2 - Excessive Transmission Movement

!!! OMG that is appalling!!!..so much for Quality control. I assume they must give every car they make a small “test drive”, and they didn’t spot that!!

Hopefully in the short distance traveled so far it will not have done any damage. It will be interesting to hear what Mazda have to say.

From the witness marks these were obviously tightened on assembly - usually buy a torque controlled air wrench which should have been audited on a regular basis so it looks like the car has been re-worked at some stage to remove something and not re assembled correctly. Assume this was a new new build car with the latest gearbox and not one that had been around for a while and may have received a “new replacement” latest spec gearbox…just a thought. Suspect we will never know.

I’m sorry, I read your description of ND2 as being a 1st facelift so a new to you but used car.

I suspect the witness marks could have been caused when the finger tight nuts were smashed back and forth by the gearbox movement.
Bus something went wrong during manufacturing so I am expecting Mazda UK to step up!
I have no idea how much damage might have been caused…

Sorry to hear about this Fred.

Just to advise that when there was a fairly serious quality issue with my car on the day I picked it up - with 11 miles on the clock - & the dealer was less than helpful - I eventually resorted to contacting Mazda UK who were extremely helpful & resolved the matter satisfactorily very quickly.

I find it hard to attribute the movement of the unit in the video in post #5 solely to the missing/loose bolts shown above as the slots don’t seem long enough to account for several cm of up and down movement, so it begs the question, is there something else not right?

To be honest Fred I think Mazda should take the car back for a thorough strip-down investigation and either give you a new vetted one, or a full refund.  I wouldn’t accept this one as it’s clearly faulty/not fit for purpose!

Hmm, I disagree.  The remaining nut is undone by a couple of turns allowing a lot of movement there, and the thread on the missing-nut bare stud shows rubbing marks.  This is the flex point at the end of the long levers from the diff (PPF)and engine, both rocking about their fulcrums depending on torque and acceleration/braking.

I think it would not have been much longer before the remaining nut fell off: utter catastrophe!

I expect there could be some stress damage to exhaust, wiring, spigots and hoses etc., walking wounded so to speak.  It needs to be carefully inspected.

Crickey! looking at the very first part of that clip, I wish my gear knob came to hand that quickly 

Doesn’t say much for the thread locking adhesive either!

Hello Fred.  What news?  Any progress with dealer/Mazda UK?

Well this is a bit worrying, I appear to have just bought this car 

Looks like I’m having a trip back to the dealer tomorrow. 

The car in question was number 1641.

Yes that’s the one, I saw it in the register thread. 

In the end, the OP was given a direct replacement C-Boy 

The dealership, on the face of it, seem to have had the rejected vehicle for around 4 months.

Perhaps if the new owner can say why it’s going back to the dealer, it’d be of interest to some.

Another issue? Or (apparent?) non disclosure of his ND having been previously rejected?

Does not mean to say there is anything wrong now of course, may well be 100% on the button.

It may well be it is actually one of the best checked & fettled pre-owned example out there.

I’d not like to find the same out though…on a matter of principal if nothing else. 

‘Apparent’ non disclosure is the issue.
I have been today told that the vehicle has been fully repaired and inspected. I will be given a report to verify this.
I intend to escalate my concerns about not being told that the car had been rejected after I asked about the vehicles history. The fact that the car had been rejected was known by the sales manager!

well he’s never going to advertise that fact otherwise he’d never sell it.
But Has he broken the law by non disclosure ? his stance will be the car is fit for purpose now and has no faults. be interesting to see what they do 

the sales guy was clearly hoping to shift onto some mug who doesn’t use this forum.
TBH, They’re never going to scrap the car, it’ll end up with some poor unsuspecting owner 

No wonder dealers are called stealers.

as for the original OP, who did the original PDI (that should include a test drive) ? The garage cat? Disgraceful. I guess you can’t name and shame, but  I hope they’re not in the NW

From the original buyers point of view he had paid good money for a brand new car. After having a fault like that surface from day one the ‘new car pride’ was going to take a dent that would never be the same again. Having the chance of exchanging for an alternative brand new car was a no brainer.

Once that car has been thoroughly checked over and put right it’s a good option as a used buy. If as you say you asked about the history and material facts were not disclosed then that is another matter.

What hasn’t been asked is how long you intend to keep the car. If you only intend keeping it until it is three years old then everything will be covered under warranty then you are safe anyway. If you intend to keep it longer I would be asking for any parts which could have been affected by the fault to be covered under your ownership.

The mountings which were loose and have (hopefully) been tightened to the correct torque should be OK. However although everything has been ‘inspected’ no amount of visual inspection can check for stress damage in the PPF and the mounting area on the gearbox.

At least you know that the fault was identified very early and very few miles were put on the car with the fault on it.

Hope you can reach a point where your faith in both the car and the dealership can be restored.

That is good to read then.

At least you will have something on file for future reference.

The car world can be a cynical dog eat dog arena.

I pondered, (for wee while) following the ND pre-launch VIP day what exactly happened to all the vehicles which were transported up and down the UK to receive jolly good X-country workouts at the hands of unknown scores of guests as I was. Nicely run-in and thoroughly inspected. One owner.  

Wish you all the best with your new car.   

Interestingly enough (and apologies for the Off Topic) the car that I enjoyed exercising in East Lothian at the VIP Driving Experience on 23rd August 2015 has the following MOT history, note the mileage in July 2018 almost 3 years after the event.

I know that this particular car was also enjoyed by a member of the club’s management at a different event in Autumn 2015.

I would say it has been run in by the Italian method, there are many who would argue this is the best way to do that. 

Interestingly I checked the registrations of two other cars that were in photo’s taken that day and there is no record…

Date tested 1 July 2019

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage 12,093 miles

MOT test number 

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 19 July 2020

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Tyre has a cut but not deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))
 What are advisories?

Date tested 19 July 2018

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage 302 miles

MOT test number 

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 19 July 2019

Grand day on many levels that was Ian, but hard to grasp it’s nearly 4 years.

Interesting as you say…

Anyway, I hope Air_1 gets his out soon for a thorough good spanking as it’s designed for.