New number plate screws

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND2 2020
  2. I’m based near: Dunstable
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: self tapping screws

Got some replacement number plates, removed old ones ok however I cannot secure the front on with either the new(supplied) screws or the old ones as the holes in the plastic now seem too “smooth” and the screws will not bite. It’s the front bumper in shiny black plastic on the ND2
Any ideas or is new holes the only way?

Can you share photos? It might help people offer advice.

Double-sided sticky tape?

IMG_2441
IMG_2443
IMG_2444

Thought there were security issues where thieves just pull the number plate off?

If you have already drilled the new plates then have you any very small wall plugs in your ‘stores’? It needs plugging with something and then do not overtighten the screws.

If not drilled then as suggested double sided tape or put the screws in a different position.
:hearts:

And they can’t unscrew number plate screws?

I’ve always used double-sided tape (I prefer the look of the number plates without screw heads) and I have never had any issues.

1 Like

Yes already drilled the new plate :roll_eyes:

Yes, good point about undoing screws :laughing:

Will look for wall plugs but doubt it, then order some 3m tape
Any suggestions on suitable double sided pads?

Search Amazon/eBay/AliExpress/Temu/Wherever for “number plate tape”.

I use something like this.

Most big supermarkets also sell double-sided sticky pads, if you don’t want to wait for delivery

Get some “plaster type” rawl plugs as they will expand on the inside and hold it secure.
(Base on the fact you have already drilled holes).
Something “like” this.
Just an example to show you what I mean.

A good idea,but I’m not sure they will work as the bumper and number plate arent thick enough for the plug to grip to

Pack a couple of SS Penney washers on each hole behind the number plate.

Might work

Or, put some araldite in the holes.
Put the number plate tape on as well.
Put the screws in to hide the holes and best of both worlds. :man_shrugging::+1:
Did that on my Volvo when the number plate got ripped off in heavy water.

Thanks all, have ordered for delivery tomorrow.
Wasn’t going for a drive out in all the wind and rain today anyway……

I have got some of those plaster board rail plugs but mine require a quite large hole that I think will only compound the problem on the bumper.
Good way to shave possibly 1g off the weight though :rofl:

1 Like

I had this issue on my ND1. My dad had a bag of old clips (because he has bags of all sorts of clips, screws, nuts, and bolts just in case…) and with some patience you can thread your hand through from underneath to get behind the holes and screw into them. You could achieve the same with some nuts I’d have thought.

I tried to feel behind that glossy bit of plastic but I come across more plastic behind which is an inch away from the front

It wasn’t easy to get in there but I managed from under the car without removing anything. I have the aero kit fitted as well.

Will have a go tomorrow!
Thanks for all the advice!