Nice wheels mate

looking at some pictures of MGs As and Bs it occurred to me iv’e never seen a 5 with wire wheels . and wondered if anyone had . I think they would look good .

1 Like

Google is your friend :wink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mazda+mx+5+wire+wheels&client=ms-android-motorola-rev2&prmd=sivxn&sxsrf=AOaemvKBSTUONNJWr3yKaGdMMLCjUQxeAg:1641736082274&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAq_6_56T1AhUJWsAKHclRDK0Q_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=412&bih=755&dpr=1.75

It’s a long link but has loads of pics of MX-5s on wires.

Hth

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

i’m obliged to you sir.

1 Like

As a previous owner, lots of years ago, of an MGA, not with wires, and various Triumph TR’s, one with wires, and the others without,… in my opinion, they look great with wire wheels.

MX5’s with wires look about as good as MX5’s with 12" wide tyres, lowered to about 3 inches above the ground, and with 6" long gear knobs.

Just my opinion of course.

1 Like

Moss used to sell wire wheels for the MX5. They were horrendously heavy, so ruined the handling. Dayton wire wheels were 30lbs each, compared to 11-12lbs for stock wheels.

These Roadstar wheels were all steel, and were budget priced.

Daytons

Occasionally imports turn up with “Eunos” branded wire wheels, which were Fortec Monarchs. These had a aluminium alloy rim, and steel wires.

MWS in the UK make wire wheels to fit the MX5

1 Like

[TOGs_driver](very kindly sent me a link to photos of 5s on wire and having looked at a good few i have to agree they dont really float my boat either. which i must say surprised me. ijust as well really as iv’e recently bought some wheels for which i’m still “paying” for if you get my drift. good job the oberleutnant dosen’t read this lol

1 Like

thanks for the info. having just replied to TOGs_driver that they’re not my cup of tea i think the silver mk 1 above looks quite smart. I still cant believe they dont look as good as you might think they would… if that makes sense lol

1 Like

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29
M-m

1 Like

Very cool M-M.
A little off topic I know but those Morette style headlights on the black and gold NB are superb.
I’d love a set of those but they’re very hard to come by and expensive to boot.
Cheers,
Guy

A cleaning nightmare.

1 Like

yes for sure, my alloys are bad enough

Appreciate info in these posts as always thought my NB would look good with wires

Did run into a BRG MX5 NB [did they ever do BRG in NB’s ??] a few years back…but when I got up close and personal they appeared a somewhat plastic ‘Go Faster’ Imitation…but perhaps their lightness didn’t affect the handling which is why the owner did the change ?

Unless you have a spare , like i have ;0)
M-m

I recall reading many years back some wires cause / caused bad wheel shimmy/ wobble / shake rattle 'n roll…and needed regular spoke tightening.
What’s the point really anyhow…everyone knows they are fake sans knock-off hubs.
Each their own…

1 Like

Not my experience.

On my TR5 and later TR6 ( correction to earlier comment, it did have wires ), yes, the wires did get murky. But they cleaned off relatively easily. The brake dust, and crud, didn’t seem to weld to the wheels in the same way as alloys. My worst experience with alloys was the very beautiful factory fitted ones on the mid-80’s BMW 325i that I owned from new. I found them next to impossible to keep clean.

1 Like

:astonished:

NB or NBFL?

I’ve always thought that. How long to clean wires? All day? :thinking:
I can’t imagine they respond very well to jet washing so it would be a soft brush and rag wrapped around each spoke. Hard work perhaps? :hot_face:

1 Like

Fronts were designed for the MK 2 , rears will fit both ,straight fit, the fronts will fit the 2.5 but you would need to change the nose and front most arch liners also, easy to do and can be done in a hr.
M-m

1 Like

Times have moved on buddy from cleaning classic spokes all day on our MG’s/Triumphs etc, we have many friendly chemicals for the purpose now and far better choices of brake pads that don’t give off dust.
M-m

2 Likes

and then I thought…I like the twin exhausts on the model after mine as well as the wire wheels

I watch with fascination the members who are changing their MX’s to create Their ‘Perfect Car’

Hats Off to Their Commitment/Enthusiasm/Dedication…What Fun !

BUT…Doesn’t This Mean You Have to Advise DVLA of the Modifications ???

Crumbs

That Sounds Like…NOT FUN to me

I’m Just Content to Continue to Ensure my NB 2.5 Icon Get the Best I Can Afford so She Hopefully Lasts Longer than I Do

More Importantly …That She’s Legal

But It’s Horses For Courses

Speaking of Which…Different Thread…What Will You Do When You Can’t MX5

and the Powers That Be tell me I’m No Longer Safe

Then I’ll Swap Her for a Real Horse…Because I Learned to Ride Horses before Driving a Car

Sorry Chaps & Chapesses…Having a Bit of a Moan/Offload

Due to DVLA Bureaucracy re Taxing My Vehicle

1 Like