No Cars on stands?

Now I get it, you only attended one rally at Gaydon and you want all the rest to be the same.

Thanks indeed to the hard working local and national teams, it is always easy to underestimate the amount of work that goes in to organising an event, these people have generously given their spare time to create an event that is now being judged before it has even taken place.

I have had the pleasure of helping out at national rallies, just seeing all those MX-5s turn up was reward in itself, it would be a pity if you could not take your place.

Give it a chance, I will even show you my camera bag 

Sorry, you don’t get it I am afraid not even close

I have attended one MX5OC Rally, but lots of others with other OCs. and I don’t want them all to be the same, As I said I attended a good few events last year none of which were the same by any meand but I am merely commenting that one of my favourite parts of the ones I attended is missing - also that there is motorsport on at the venue at the same time, which is NOT MX5 and is also of no interest to me.  I am an MX5 enthusiast and owner and this event seems to be less about the cars of member and more about non-MX5 motorsport. 

So come along, don’t watch the distracting car racing, visit the exhibitors and look at all the MX-5’s that show up including the new MK4, unless that is also pre-judged.

It will be worth it just to see me make an @rse of myself in the driving challenge. 

This thread feels a week out of date  

I quite fancy the Mk4 actually, I suppose that is also a pre-judgement, perhaps I should day I’m not sure. 

The point I am making is, that I don’t fancy the event because of the omission of the vehicles on the stands, or more appropriately. It’s a large part of the event for me.

I am a paying OC member with an opinion, it’s not wrong, it’s not disrespectful it’s not negative - what it is, is my opinion, and is as valid as that of those who planned the events and those who go and love it, and those who go and don’t 

Jamie,

I get your point, and I hear you that you want to put your car on a stand, you enjoyed it at Gaydon as did I am sure many other owners who put in for the spaces - but unfortunately we can’t do that here, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing there are a number of reasons that cars can’t get on to Area stands at this venue, what we doing is trying to make use of strip of ground between the area that we have agreed with the venue owners MSV and the public area of the grounds, it is a very good location to see the track as well as the MX-5 throng, so the Area Team thought to make a feature of it, and provide a space to put cover up should the weather not be great, hence the stands for use as a social space.

The Spring Rally is a smaller event from the National Rally, it is meant as more social gathering at a destination, getting the winter blues and cobwebs clear - and its an event that is more mobile geographically than a National and something we try to get to regional areas away from the central locations of the National, but as I have spent 3 days packing tickets and this is looking like a bit of large event.

In terms of event layout for pretty much every Club Rally - all the cars arriving are parked as the central feature of the event and at this one will be bordered by these stands and the hub of the event, Marquee, traders etc. the collection of cars coming is very much part of the day, always has been with our events - actually at Gaydon we had to park the cars further out from the heart of event as we wanted to use the ground for the Colour display and the Stunt display and that plan then built in the competition for the Area displays. (there were comments about this also)

These little displays took a lot of effort to arrange please don’t overlook; who organised them, selected which Area cars went on, how we got them in, the parking, marshalling, signage all needed for them, the extra time for the team to park that area of the event, the passes needed and getting them to those on stand, the arrangement of the stand on the day and finally the physical space that all took up.

So to simplify, all you did was rock up and park your car in the middle of an enormous event, it must have been a joy and no wonder you loved it - 1800 other cars had to be pulled en masse into a venue where we had streams of vehicles 3 cars wide and hundreds of vehicles long, with venue staff and volunteer team trying our best to separate Members to one area and non members to others while under Police pressure to keep clear the roadways around the venue - taking the time to be parking people onto stands is not an option with this kind of traffic, the time constraints that we have to operate on with venues and usually the space that is available to us.

If it is a social need and you want to hang out at you car? you can - and if you want to have your friends with you? we always recommend to arrange to meet up outside and nearby the venue to arrive together, then you have a group around you to hang out with - this happens a lot at the rallies. People will always mill around the parked cars, admiring the variety and talking to others who are there - the cars are what the rallies are about, and the other elements such as museums, tracks, country houses, even new MX-5s - these are all part of the day and what the Club is committed to bring to members, it is not always going to appeal to everyone that is understood and the Club cannot be all things to all members, it can do what it does to the best that it can - and having been around a lot of other car clubs and speaking to countless thousand members of other Clubs the MX-5 OC is unique in what it delivers to its members for the organisation that it is and constantly dumbfounds people at the lis of the Classic show.

On the day there is a stack of varied racing - your membership gets you and guest in to Oulton park the track and you can spectate that if you wish - the value of that is £28 whether you use it or not - when we started speaking to this venue in 2013, there was a hope that this weekend was going be centred around BRSCC MX-5 cup racing, and in fact in 2014 we moved the day and date of this Rally to synchronise with the MX-5 Calendar, but in January BRSCC changed their plans and by which time it was too late to reschedule the Spring rally to August, but so far the feedback is you are getting access to watch 5 series of racing from Single seater formula, through Minis, XR Fords and Porsche, to me it sounds pretty awesome, but I am going to be in a tent all day so I do hope that members can go and see some of this racing, wander in the paddock, talk to the teams and drivers and take in an experience alongside being at the Rally. There are also a bunch of MX-5s going to be running all day on the low friction track which should be entertaining laugh while people work out how to handle them!

Personally while I accept what you have to say, I can’t see why a parking issue such as this in particular would be a make or break thing for coming to one of our events, but very much each to their own but if it is a break issue for you please let me know and I can pass your tickets to another member as I am hitting the limit of what was agreed with the venue and it would be better that they were used. I’d certainly welcome your help at future rallies to make better displays happen, these things wouldn’t happen without people coming together and giving their time.

I wish I could go but I can’t.  It all sounds great!

(Bring on the National! )

Ian

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it.  I also appreciate that getting so many cars where they need to be is a logistical nightmare. I can appreciate what you say, and had the racing been the MX5 cup then it makes Perfect sense, alas as is always the case, there is always a spanner in the works. 

I have been involved in the past in arranging national meets, not on the scale of you, but just under 1000 cars and I can remember not being able to please all of the people. 

Please do not in any way take this as criticism of you, or the team involved in making the spring rally happen, it’s not. I know what an awesome and often thankless job you do, and for one applaud it.

I was merely stating I felt it was a social part of the event that will be missed by me… and that given the proclivity of people to “stick to their own” the talk around the cars was a major ice breaker at Gaydon, and Retro Rides and JF2 and even at the NEC the other week. 

I am happy for my tickets to be reissued, and hope the event goes really well for you and all.

Also any help I can be in any way at all, just ask I am more than happy to put my “money” where my mouth is :slight_smile:

Jamie

Jamie,

I haven’t missed a Coventry away game on a Saturday all season, but Spring Rally day is unusually not on a Sunday this year. I’m missing our relegation battle  away at Bristol and  am going to Oulton. it will hurt not going to Bristol.  But I am also passionate about my 5.

If you are passionate about your MX5 go to Oulton .As you say you are only 30 miles away. if  nothing else it will be a nice run over . Get there early, if you don’t like whats on offer cut your losses after a couple of hours and go home, what’s to lose. 

I’ve been in the OC about thirteen years now and been to lots of OC rallies, never been to a bad one, true some are better than others, but never a bad one.  

john

I am going with my wife and my brother and his wife we are all booked in over the weekend for the meal and disco at the hotel with the club, don;t know what to expect as it will be my first meeting, I have had a couple of fantastic weekends watching the racing at Donnington and Silverstone thank’s to the OC and I will get to drive the 5 for 2 hours up to Oulton Park so no big loss if it is a let down but I am sure we will enjoy it.

Also I have my car booked in to be looked at by Mike from Dent Wizard to see if he can work his magic on my annoying dents some kind soul left in my rear wing, can anybody hear tell me what / where I should go to get my car looked at when I get there or will Mike have to find my car?  

And that is why i way prefer Blyton to any other event with the club as there is none of this different groups ■■■■ there over the weekend but a load of owners from all different groups ,makes models and versions and sexes there to enjoy the roadsters and the company of fellow owners no matter what area camp they are in.

I am the first to lodge my opinions with what the club does if i don’t agree, but one thing i have learnt from these rallies is do not expect to much and then it works, if you want to enjoy them more …get involved, and in a nut shell they are a load of people with the same love and passion from all parts of the UK and sometimes beyound to travel to a field in the middle of no where to talk Mazda Roadster.

Regardless of what you think of me , i really don’t care as i have been around these roadsters longer than the club, i know my stuff and i do it very well and share that with others that need help, you are more than welcome to find me and ask my opinions  because trust me i have loads, i’ll be judging in the first half with the comps that our group go out of our way to do and help, and then with the fellow menders to answer any questions fellow owners my have on the pitch or as we have a nosey around, come and find me, you will not miss me , i can asure you i am no key board warrior , what you see is what you get, stop whinging and come and enjoy it like the rest of us ,or don’t and whinge to yourself while polishing your roadster on your own.

M-m 

Well, what an interesting thread this has turned out to be! :slight_smile:

I’m now actually MORE excited to be attending my first ever OC event, in just over a week now!!!

Disgraceful I know, especially since I’ve been a member from Feb 2006, 5 owner since May 2006 (thanks in large part to this great community!!) and not even been to a local meet yet.

IMHO, I don’t believe that Jamie has been in any way disrespectful to anyone.  In fact the way I read it I’d say he made quite an effort to actually avoid being misunderstood.  I think the reason why some may have initially misinterpreted his intentions may be due to the fact that we can sometimes become more sensitive to those things that we hold close to our hearts, which we’ve become increasingly emotionally attached (such as this awesome club!) so it seem very human and understandable to maybe become a little defensive.

Having just read through this thread at 3am (too excited to sleep thinking about the rally, oh and maybe Mk4 too) I’m actually feeling a lot of 5oc love all round.  I suspect that Jamie will attend after all, even if he’s gotta pay at the door! Resistance is futile!

Lets throw this one into the pot to keep everyone happy…

Go and wash your pride and joys, stroke them with your best wax or polish, take the best picture you can(leaning on the windscreen surround or across the bonnet i find works well), print it off on to a A4 sheet,laminating is a good idea just in case we get a spot of the wet stuff, staple it to a peg or use a cable tie for a proper job that will gain JDM points, and then when everyone splits up into their own clicks/areas/groups in your own wigwams, knock the pictures on the stack into the ground in a half circle( easy on the eyes) collection in front of you wigwams, job done.

Easy…for the win

M-m

I am also guilty of never having been to a local club night etc,; although having been a member & 5 owner since 2004 at Weston Park rally I really enjoy the whole thing about the club. I attend as many rallies etc as possible & will continue to enjoy chatting to anyone who passes 

regardless of any personal differences, it should be a very happy gathering of like minded folk enjoying the day out plus the bonus of a race day. just hope the rain holds off.

This will be my 8th OC rally and my 3rd doing judging duty’s and would you believe it I am looking forward to it.  Our area will have our event shelter there and would have loved to have some cars on the stand, BUT and it is a big BUT we realise that with the space restraints it will not be possible.  The event shelter will be our meeting point for members and friends who want to pop along and have some cake.    SEE YOU THERE.

So many valid points from everyone. The forum is a place where we can say what we think and discuss it amongst us.

I’ve been to many events with the club including nationals and spring rallies, one visit to Blyton and some MX-5 motorsport at Brands Hatch and Donnington. I’ve got different things from different events. If there are trade stands I’ll always have a look around, if there are car competitions I’ll go up and down the lines. Biggest thing for me though is wandering around the cars and chatting to other owners. Gaydon was very good but in my mind Chatsworth was the best. All the car parking right next to everything else. The big but is that it’s just my opinion. I fully get what Jamie is saying. He’s got Gaydon firmly implanted in his head as a great day just the same as I’ve got my first rally at Chatsworth in mine.

With regard to the organisers of the Oulton Park rally I hope it turns out to be a really good one. It’s right to try and do something different. Every location will have it’s constraints and from the sound of it they have done a really good job of getting the best out of it.

Jamie, it would be a shame not to have a trip over for an hour or two as it’s reasonably close. You never know who you might meet, what you might see and what fun you might be missing out on. Personally I don’t think you were being at all disrespectful. If the organisers of future rallies don’t get input from members as to what we want from a rally then how can they produce the results.

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, what you can do is provide varied events that give something for everyone. Be thankful that this great club does that year after year.

I’m just happy to get the tickets before we set off for the event.

Yes, really fast delivery with the tickets guys… well done, see you all there.

Sorry to revive an old post, but if the OP missed the rally? He’s a numpty. I didn’t see any of the area stands mentioned. There were too many cars in the way, and too many owners to chat with. Great day!

So - I went to the Rally. and had a really good time - mainly because of meeting up with old friends and being introduced to some new ones, ones that is that I was introduced to. There were a lot of awesome cars in the MX-5 car park and there were a lot of people doing what I and those I was with did, walking around it looking at them, one of the main reasons for me to go to a Rally.

The show cars had some awesome entrants, with one in particular - the Red Jackson SC’d Mk1, looking spectacular.  I even watched a little bit of Fiestas crashing into each other :) 

I do however have to comment on the stands, as they were my initial issue, and my opinion on them has not changed at all - they were sited far away from the cars, filled with a certain “type” of member - to the brim in some instances, and very insular.  I went over said hi to a couple but got a polite but uninterested smile and back to chatting to their area members. 

It was commented on the day - That if that is what those people want to do at the show, let them do it and do what I want to do at the show. And that makes perfect sense… except for one point. That is kinda the perceived problem with the OC, not only in my opinion but those of a lot I spoke to at the event,  at the moment. It seems to be two OC’s, it’s one OC full of car enthusiasts who own drive mainly Mk1s and Mk2, modify and enthuse about their cars, and another who use them to drive to what amounts to a “social club” meting, have a fish tea and then go home, I don’t mind a fish tea and have nothing against social clubs, but it seems that this the prevalent part of the OC, and certainly the decision making part - with certain obvious exclusions.

I don’t have a solution to this, but I think it’s an issue that is talked about in hushed tones for fear of offending people. I am not very good at hushed tones.

Anyway - I am glad I went along, was nice to catch up with people, and I really enjoyed seeing the Mk4 up close - The Mazda promo team were hilarious too. “How fast does it go?”, “erm, erm, ahh… very fast”

I am sure this post will polarise opinion, but that is ok, as with mine, everyone is entitled to an opnion.