No Cars on stands?

No massive generalisations there then 

None of your points are original, all have been aired here to some extent before and usually manage to get people hot under the collar, that’s a debate of some kind I suppose.

The club has as many different type of car related events as there are people who want to get involved and make them happen, from fettling in garages, all marques, not just MK1 and MK2, motorsport, touring holidays and the fish tea run.

live the variety and vive la difference…

Ian - it’s not a generalisation, it’s an observation. I am sure that none of the points made are original, and that’s kinda the point isn’t it.  As I said, I am not picking a fight, and this is far from an attack of any sort. I am making a personal observation/comment.

I am sure that the people in the tents had a great day as did those sitting in the carpark with their cars and those watching the motorsport. I am really looking forward to Blyton and the other events I am attending, both with the OC and other organisers this year. 

I think the REAL issue that I am kinda getting at and that I felt was happening with the stand thing is that the OC didn’t really feel like one club yesterday but a bunch of “franchises” for want of a better word. If I am with one, then what is the need for me to interact with the others, just let them get on with their own thing, they’ll be fine, and I’lll be fine - just not very… inclusive. Regions are great… absolutely invaluable for buy-in and local meets etc. I just wonder how they - or even if the OC wants them to - be more regions of the same club and mini clubs of their own. I wouldn’t feel comfortable just rocking up to another region’s meet and not sure how many other new/ish members without years of contacts would, I hope this is perhaps a slight insight into a one year member’s perception.   

Commenting about owners of MK1,2,3 behaving differently etc may be your percieved observation, my observation is that it’s a generalisation.

‘The Club’ ‘is’ a club of clubs (or areas) with a shared common interest. 

Some areas interact regularly with other areas and regularly cross pollinate in shared and joint events.

Some probably less so for any number of reasons.

Each Area is composed of people who get to know each other and hopefully friendships may even be made… it’s possible 

That group of people together at a larger event may appear a bit insular to those who don’t know them, nothing specific to this club though, inclusivity is a human condition not an MX-5 OC thing.

For me the rallies don’t offer a massive compelling pull, I’ll go if they’re not so far away which I know won’t be that often and that doesn’t really bother me. For others they’re a big deal and people go to a lot of effort to attend and get involved, that’s great too. This doesn’t impact my enjoyment of Club membership at all, I get a lot in other ways.

We’re lucky in that our adjoining and National areas (Scotland) are quite sociable and friendly sorts and people often do come to adjoining areas events. We all went to our first meet at some point, we all have a common ice breaker when it comes to starting that conversation.

The club wants what its members want (and is practical for a modest subscription), there’s no overall manifesto or agenda to be subscribed to, there are guidelines on how to organise runs and events and common branding themes reflecting club branding and Area feel (see my avatar).

I wasn’t aware that it was a coalition of clubs, I thought it was one OC with locally managed, but centrally mandated/controlled areas, if that is the case then the feeling of collection of clubs is bang on the money and in that case - it’s all working swimmingly, and going wonderfully… keep up the good work. As someone who really enjoys the larger events as well as meets, I wanted to chip in my 2penneth, however  I’ll pay my modest subscription and keep my opinions to myself.  . 

Oh no, I have the wrong car, I don’t care for fish teas, I like modifying my car and had two hours of fun on the track in a Mk3 still enjoying the day when a lot of the Mk1 and Mk2’s had gone home, gosh!

Good heavens, I also wave, what am I doing, Mk3 owners don’t wave, apart from all the ones waving back as well, just goes to show observations can be wrong, especially when used as generalisations.

A major problem with some perceptions here, after all it was perceived the rally would not be worth going to but I think it probably was, glad you went and saw we are not all alike just like rallies are not all alike.

We have a solution for people who keep knocking Mk3 owners, they can pick on Mk4 owners soon and leave us alone 

I have absolutely no issues with Mk3 drivers - and people are in the end just people… some wave, some don’t I have a Mk2 and get stick fom Mk1 owners, it’s the nature of the beast on of the club members I respect most has a Mk3, so it’s not a mark 1,2 or 3 thing it’s really not, and I hope that’s not how my comments have come across. If I have the money, I’ll be a Mk4 owner who gets picked on - and try to keep my 2 if poss. 

I went to the event, enjoyed seeing my friends who also went to the event and gave my opinion on the meet - just to clarify, it’s not wrong, it can’t be wrong - because it’s not objective and factual, it’s subjective, it’s an opinion. 

Now, for the sake of contructiveness I have very carefully voiced it in a way that communicated that I felt that there was a certain amount of divisiveness within the club at the event, again my observation and opinion, I didn’t take a poll, I didn’t film members answering that question, 

What  would say is that  am in my 30s am a business owner, am financially solvent and have developed quite a strong affinity with these little cars, there are non member owners younger than me who are drivers and enthusiasts with money in their pockets and just as strong an interest if not stronger in these cars, these people are one would imagine the future generations of the club. It’s a bit like a bank offering a savings account to teens, get them in the door and when they are looking for a mortgage they will come back to you. - again merely my opinion

Jamie the Club is a not a coalition of clubs, the Club is a National entity and not for profit limited company - with a number of administration Areas, these areas have guidelines to work to in representing the Club, to ultimately deliver the Club mechanism to that local area in the way that works best. This however is not perfect as what happens in one area is not consistently delivered in others,  this however are the limitations of a voluntary framework and remains as constant area of discussion on how to better offer a variety of activities to members, both locally and nationally.

The National events such as the Spring and National are the forum for all members to come along to attend the core events, these happen around the country and in a variety of venues in an effort to reach members who may not necessarily get to all the events and to present days out and activities to do in their cars, which is what the Club is after all founded around.

The Club delivers these events with the great assistance of the local area and the teams of people who willingly give their time and effort to putting on the days with the support of myself and the national budget. I am always in awe of the work that is put in to the events by the local areas, it is however easy for members to take a poke at the event, just because it was not completely satisfy your personal taste, but this has the impact of deflating the people who made it all happen and are at this time exhausted.

Feedback is useful, especially when legitimate and emerging comments and issues go on to shape the direction of what is brought in the future. But the input here is a bit rambling in what it is you are trying to feed in, I am not quite sure, I said above this Club cannot be all things to all people but what it can do is try the very best it can, and that takes the passion and love of the people who help to put these on, I’d suggest politely that you may wish to stand back a little and respect that input and them. You got things to say comments to make or feedback to give, you have my email or PM, but goading opinion on here is not overly helpful.

Area stands as I said before are not usual practice, of late we have undertaken a couple of events with them for a variety of need, but I am uncertain that we can continue suggest they will happen again without an overwhelming positive need to do so.

Iain

Jamie

I didn’t attend the Spring Rally as I was otherwise occupied sorting out the suspension and a few other things that needed doing on my Mk1…I have, however, been to a couple of Nationals and one Spring that was staged in my own area (South East), and participated in the competitions.

I understand you that have an opinion, which you are entitled to, as is everyone else within the club, and the members of this forum who are not OC members…the one thing that we all have in common is a love for these great little cars, and that, IMHO is the overriding factor that needs to be taken into account.

The Spring & National Rallies have to try to be all things to all people, and that is a mammoth undertaking on the part of the volunteers who give up their own time in the pursuit of their enthusiasm (as you well know). Yes, there can be a cliquey feel about certain things, but overall the general attitude is one of kinship in a common bond, and I’m sure you don’t need reminding that you will only get out of what you put into it…

I can personally guarantee you that if you should come across me at any OC club rally, I will bore the arse off you talking about both of my 5’s…it’s all about the car !

Kev (50 going on 21)