Norfolk-Yorkshire-Lake District-Derbyshire-Norfolk trip

Myself and my wife are taking our MX5 on a trip in early June from our house in North Norfolk to the following
Asygarth falls on the Sunday
To Windermere on the Monday until Wednesday
Down to Matlock bath on the Wednesday and then home on the Thursday.
I’m not time precious on the driving so wondered if anyone has any good roads we should be trying? Also any nice activities to do in any of those areas and possibly lunchtime cafes? I have accommodation and evening meals all sorted. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Hi

I’m sure you’ll get stacks of suggestions but here are a few from me. I’m often up in Bowness and like to drive up above Bowness on the many back roads and I can recommend the Brown Horse Inn, Winster (another Winster is near Matlock), this would be a good place for lunch. Of course you have the drive from Windermere to Ambleside and then from there you have the Kirkstone pass, which is the areas highest road pass. I was in Bowness not long ago and went to Base, pizza restaurant with a wood fired oven, I thought it was fab. My favourite pub in Bowness is the Hole in t’ Wall, lovely old 17th century pub with a fantastic old bar and ceiling full of gazundas.

We some times drive from Bowness and over to Whitby via the Yorkshire Dales to Pickering and over the Moors, but away from the main road. However I guess that’s out your way of course.

Also I have a shop in Matlock (grew up there) and know that area well. Coming down the M6 and so on, you could head to Glossop, go over the Snake Pass to Sheffield and then at Ladybower you could head towards Bamford and make your way eventually to Matlock Bath. Some of the roads in that part of the Peaks are stunning and at times can be quiet. You could also drive from MBath to Cromford, up the hill check out Black Rocks and drive up above Wirksworth in the Ashleyhay area. It’s all good really and if you don’t know it (but I think you do) then it’s going to be a joy. Colemans deli in Hathersage does good coffee, cakes and rolls. A few chippys in Matlock Bath and Arkwright Mill in Cromford is worth a look and Wirksworth is a lovey town. Lots of cafes there.

Have fun

Nick

The Dales are often praised as a great driving area but unless you get up very early indeed the roads are a PITA , frankly , with a few moments of joy punctuated by miles of misery behind another tractor or camper van . I live in Thirsk , North Yorkshire and if I want a serious drive I go up to Barnard Castle and drive over to Alston /Penrith . If I have all day , few drives in the north are lovelier than the trip between Carter Bar on the A68 and Newcastleton and beyond , on the edge of Kielder forest .

Recently returned from trip to the lakes, just beware of the potholes, I thought here in Kent was bad!

Might be useful for the Derbyshire bit.

You could do worse than park in the Carlton Lees car park, jump over the stile opposite and walk 10 minutes north along the river and in front of Chatsworth House, where there is a cafe and shop and stuff.

I can confirm Chatsworth garden centre cafe (through Carlton Lees car park) is good, was there around 10 days ago. If you park in the Chatsworth car park it’s about £5 all day. The garden centre car park is free👍
They also have an excellent cafe in the small Peak park shopping complex, the one in the middle with the conservatory as you go in. The other Chatsworth bistro type place is newish and gets busy, never been able to get a seat in there, a bit on the cramped side. Free parking at the shopping complex which is just off the A6 just after you’ve turned for Chatsworth at Rowsley.
The Lime lounge is another favourite in Bakewell, just below the famous stone bridge in Bakewell. Varied menu from snacks to a full English, excellent coffee.

Peak District is rammed at most times sadly, weekdays it’s full of lorries, weekends it’s full of caravans, cyclists and tourists so not much fun driving to be had on anything with A at the start of it :slightly_frowning_face: Plenty of rolling scenery to enjoy still though. A57 Snake Pass is overrated in my opinion, it’s full of blind bends, rubbish surface, slow drivers and a fair bit is in trees so you don’t even see all that much after the dramatic bit near Glossop. And it has temporary traffic lights in a few places at the moment as the road is falling down the hillside (again).

Coming from the M6 the quickest route to Matlock Bath is via A555 near Manchester Airport to Chapel-en-le-Frith, not very scenic but it is efficient. If going this route, I would suggest turning off early:

• A5004 from Whaley Bridge to Buxton (this is a pretty road and a bit quieter. If the weather is poor you can go to Poole’s Cavern in Buxton in the dry!).
    or
  • drive to Macclesfield instead of Whaley (15 mins on the dull A523) but then pick up the stunning A537 “Cat and Fiddle” to Buxton, this is a famous motorcycling route. See above for stuff in Buxton.
    then
  • A53 to The Winking Man then take Leek Road to Longnor, there are some blind crests on this with surprise drops so take care! (If you want a detour go past Flash to The Roaches that’s a short but steep walk with expansive views)
  • via Crowdecote to Tagg Lane dairy for Jersey ice cream (this takes you through some hairpins as you climb out the valley)
  • A515 boring bit down to Newhaven
  • A5012 “Via Gelia” famous motorbiking route to Cromford (at Cromford there’s the local famous Black Rocks viewing point that’s a short hike up from the car park, there’s also Cromford Mills World Heritage site if you’re industrial history inclined, and there’s a stroll along the Cromford Canal).

If you really want to do Snake Pass, then just follow any good mapping software and it’ll take you through a few nice villages and past Chatsworth House (where of course you can drop in but it’s pricey to go in) although the only bit of road I actually care for is between Hathersage and Calver. You also go quite near the plague museum at Eyam and well known local viewpoint of Curbar Edge.

Thank you to everyone for their help so far. Lots of useful info and places to factor in. Really looking forward to getting out in the car. Spent many years doing a fair amount of driving but always just to get somewhere rather than having an explore!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.