Parking at Gaydon...

Yet more mind numbing moaning about other people’s efforts on this forum yet again!!

STOP WINGING !

I took my aged dad with me today and the parking marshalls couldn’t have been more helpful 

Today was a fantastic day and very well worthy of the club membership fee, even some of our miserable lot from our area were very impressed.

If you want a better parking spot then leave home earlier, easy !

Today was a bloody good rally, and that car park wasn’t that far away.

All the good stuff that they pulled off today I’m surprised anyone has the gall to moan.

totally agree the parking marshalls did an amazing job with such a large number of mx5’s  

99% of mx5s queued patiently on the main road approach, though a minority of mx5s chose to jump the queue,

Personally I found the patient que of mx5s on the road a great photo opportunity and wonderful spectacle (even if there were a number of impatient que jumpers trying to muscle in) !!  

Best traffic jam I’ve been in for a while 

You CANNOT please ALL of the people ALL of the time, but you can please some of the people most of the time.

A BLOODY good effort by those involved.

Now I’m going to lay down in a dark room.

John

I had to sell my MX5 this year due to our difficulty in getting out of it! 

However; we rather enjoyed being in the queue in our Audi A3 cabrio (roof down of course) amongst all those glorious 5s 

This was my third MX5 rally at this venue & it just gets better.

All the complaints about parking/lavatories/coffee queues are rubbish because the museum doesn’t normally have 2500 cars turning up all at once so I reckon they did ok.

As usual the club organisers did a sterling job; Thanks all.

fully agree, best traffic Jam possible

I took the comments about queues for the toilets and coffee as gently sarcastic pokes at the original poster myself 

That’s how it was intended

Fantastic show today, we arrived at around 10:10 & ended up parking on the grass slope. It would have been good to have some portaloos nearer to the main event. It was a long walk each time having had loads of tea in the hotel it was a tad desperate! There were toilets in the new Jaguar building but they were packed as well. Also a good car display in there which was kept a secret.

There has been a massive amount of build going on which seems to be ongoing. I think that impacted the site today.

Had to laugh at the loon parked next to me whining about the slope & whether his handbrake would hold. If your handbrake is that poor then get it fixed instead of the chintzy add ons like smoke repeaters  

Once again congrats to all who organised, I have organised a car event there with 750 Porsches, it is a thankless task & a lot of bloody work. Today went very well.

As I was coming in a car suddenly appeared beside me that wasn’t behind me previously. I assumed he’d made a genuine mistake and waved him in front of me but in hindsight they were probably one of these queue jumpers. Oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

Great event today and very well organised IMHO. 

My first Rally was in 2002, also at Gaydon and i have attended most of them since. I consider yesterday’s the best. Queue jumping is really bad form, they should be expelled from the club

I arrived at the National Motor Museum at 12…

…and there was no queue 

… no problems parking

…and no Mx5’s

Beaulieu looked lovely in the sunshine 

Had a great day at the rally. Weather was good loads of traders, loads of great cars to look at. Parking not perfect, but we should remember this is organised by volunteers. So I would like to give everybody involved a big thumbs up.    

Actually, I would agree with the poster about the toilet facilities which were insufficient for that number of people although I’m guessing the museum doesn’t generally have that many people descend en masse. Some temporary toilet facilities would have helped a little. That said, I have no complaints about the rally. Excellent venue, plenty to see and of course, loads of MX5s!  Thanks to Iain and the crew for organising and all the volunteers and marshals for getting everyone in and out.

We arrived at Junction 12 about 11am. and there was a considerable queue, generally of orderly and considerate 5 drivers. The queue was back to the junction where traffic from north and south met, and was blocking the lights. Not much anyone could have done about that. The sat nav (supposedly up-to date built in one in a March 2017 Mk4) suggested that we needed to be in the right lane…it soon became obvious that the map was out of date and as people realised that the left lane was the queue then I and others ‘zip merged’ rather than carrying on to shove in at the front.

Although it didn’t seem to be moving very fast, in fact we were in 20 minutes later which wasn’t bad, considering. We were directed to the main car park which was already quite full, and I was asked to take to a grass slope across a dip. I politely asked for a level spot as I could imagine catching the low ‘aerofoil’ thingies on the front corners in the dip. The steward was obviously under pressure to find spaces and muttered a bit, but it wasn’t a problem.

No complaints. Big thanks to the organisers. It’s impossible to predict attendance, and with yesterday’s weather I think it must have been at the high end of the range.

Well speaking as the guy in the hi-vis directing you all in just after the main gate, I have to say I was not impressed when all these cars queued up and stopped me enjoying my three cups of lovely hot tea (all of which subsequently went cold). I mean come on, just because its a free event, doesn’t mean you all have to come and use up all the parking spaces!

Please next time could you sort it between yourselves and arrive individually at regular timed five minutes slots please, it would make mine and the VOLUNTEER teams jobs so much easier. 

In reality the over spill parking section wasn’t an ideal scenario, but we had to comply with the decisions of the site supervisor who knows his site and has to consider all safety aspects etc. Where we could we tried to make more space and bring cars in off the queue into the main event, but this wasn’t always possible. 

I will now be honest… if you are easily offended then do not read on

The problems with queuing at the entrance was once again exasperated by those who seem unable to understand the concept of hanging a hanger on a mirror, or even bring said hanger to the event. The amount of people who had to get out of the car, unload a boot and find it was somewhat comical. Lets not even go into those who were not members who insisted on having their 2 mins of moan at the gate because they were told to turn left and not allowed to go into the main area! 

I for one could not understand why you would come to an event of an organisation you have chosen NOT to join and yet expect (and complain about not getting) the same services and opportunities of those who have, especially when your entry cost for two was almost the same amount as membership!

Just to put things into perspective I’ve just done plotting on google maps.

• The walking distance from the back of the main car park to the closest part of the event is 320 metres.
  • The walking distance from the front of the overflow is 275 metres
  • The walking distance from the farthest point in the overflow is 450 metres.
So even arriving two hours after gates open, and an hour and a half after the event starts, the walk is not that much further. Hardly something to complain about considering how good the event was. The layout was good with all the traders nicely spaced but not too far apart. Good range too.

I agree about the toilets, relying upon the museum toilets meant at times there was quite a queue.

While I have been typing Harco has made a very good point about access. When I was arriving I was with a car club, we had all stopped off at warwick services to meet up and make sure we had our passes in position, not hard.

Arrived at 9.00 5/10 min wait directed to parking ,parked and fussing round car by 9.30 , spent a leasurly day wandering the show and museum light lunch in cafe , did not place in comp [mk1 modified] but enjoyed the whole day other than , loosing one hearing aid . As to moans about celebs [minor] ,parking ,-----GET A LIFE !!!

Regarding the museum toilets… they were located on the ground floor AND the 1st floor AND there were toilets in the Jaguar Collection building!