Passenger power window issue from drivers door switch

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND1 1.5
  2. I’m based near: _East Sussex _
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __power window problem

My passenger side power window switch on the drivers door isn’t working. The passenger door switch works for that window. It’s not the drivers door locking button.
The drivers window behaves normally.

My wife was putting the roof up and didn’t get it up quick enough to beat the mx5things window closure system controller and the window may have been stopped by the roof mechanism getting in the way.
I’ve changed the main power window switch in the drivers door and the passenger window still only opens with the switch in the passenger door.

Anyone have any ideas please?
Should I be looking for a fuse that corresponds with only the power from the drivers door to the window?

Thank you.

Are you saying you have the mx5things automated window control module installed inside the driver’s door? If so, I had nothing but trouble with them (having tried 3 different modules with Sergey) and no matter what I tried they would all lose complete control over the passenger side window. In the end i gave up and opted for a refund.

1 Like

Yes. I’m on my second. I’ve taken it out and tested without it installed and it still has the fault.

I take it you have run through the window initialisation/reset sequence then that is included in the MX5things instructions. Have you tried disconnecting the car’s battery and reconnecting?

Yes. Left battery disconnected for 15 minutes, done the reset procedure. Switch still refuses to work.

I had a lot of issues with the mx5things window controller, early adopter before he realised RHD and LHD had different wiring. In the end, he recommended tapping into the wiring directly instead of using his adapter and it has been fine ever since.

Maybe, to aleviate the module as a possible source of the issue, it may be worth disconnecting it, reset the windows and see if that fixes the problem. A bit of a pain, but…

1 Like

Yes. I’ve removed the module but hadn’t disconnected the battery since then. Tried it today. Left the battery disconnected for 15 minutes. No mx5things module at all.
Got reconnected, got in and reset the drivers window. Pushed drivers door switch for passenger window to lower and it went halfway down and stopped.
I can still use it with passenger door switch but again drivers door switch won’t move the passenger window.
It’s a new drivers door switch assembly.

Maddening!
It won’t drop the window for the soft top. I will need to drop it with the passenger switch myself.
If I open the passenger door the passenger window drops all the way, motored as if I’ve opened the window fully.

If it’s a new drivers door switch assembly, I suspect it may be faulty as you’ve troubleshot all of the other possible scenarios. Just a thought though - Mazda electrical connectors are a pain to get apart or sometimes reseat. It may be worth pulling the white connectors apart and check for bent pins in case one got caught when getting the plug/socket remated?

2 Likes

Good point. Cheers. I will. I also had another switch from a Mazda 2 that had the same plugs and I tried that, it didn’t work for that either but I’ll definitely inspect the pins. Cheers.

The last thing I can think of is that a (dealer) reset of the (?) BCM computer may resolve the issue; they can “factory restore” the settings and could possibly clear any glitches.

2 Likes

Checked all the pins. Used a contact cleaner and it’s still the same. Very odd.

Tried this and still no solution. Found on a Mazda forum.

Found these solutions to resetting memories.

1. to reset ECU the easiest way is,

Take off the negative lead of the battery,
Sit in the driver’s seat of your Mazda
turn headlights on and off
press horn
Push down and release the brake pedal five times consecutively.
Wait 10-15 minutes to reconnect and ECU should be reset.

if your not sure if it worked leave it off for a few hours
Reconnect the “Negative” terminal clamp on your Mazda’s battery.
Turn your car on and let it idle for a few minutes to learn the mapping and drive like a granny for the first 30 mins! the ecu will learn that minimal fuel usage is what you want and it’ll stick to it!

coz if you floor it as soon as you do it it’ll learn that pumping fuel in is the way to go

Ecu reset got it sorted. Wife was driving last week and got hit by another driver on the wing, minimal damage but still needs insurance attention, the ecu is on the same side. Started doing it again.
Grrrr.