Personalised Plates DVLA

That’s how much the auction site valued it at, in fact they valued it higher.
It cost £399, plus £80 to register it and another £80 to keep the plate. We’ll sell it at cost if necessary :slightly_smiling_face:

If this were your for sale thread, I wouldn’t pull this apart. It isn’t, though, so…

The auction site likely valued it optimistically to incentivise you to list. I assume there are also fees for the buyer and/or seller.

A plate that is listed at £399 on the DVLA site does not also cost you £80 to assign it - the assignment fee and VAT are included.

The £80 retention fee has no impact on the plate’s value.

On the other hand, it only takes one buyer, as with anything. There are a few Facebook groups for private plates if you’re really keen to sell. Best of luck.

Worth noting that the prices on the DVLA website include the £80 fee to put the plate on a vehicle.

Many of the resale websites show cheaper prices for the same plates but hide the £80 fee in the small print.

As an example X M14TA X is £250 on the DVLA site. A well known reseller has the same plate at £154 +VAT. Add on the VAT and the transfer fee and the price goes up to £264.80. Not a big mark up but they will just order it from the DVLA and it will be sent direct to you.

They will also try to upsell with a set of physical plates which will be dearer than your local motor factor so more profit there.

3 Likes

How about this ……
£399 from DVLA

That’s nice, look at the subtle symmetrical spacing, the six digits, the lack of 1s making one side look smaller, the fact it says sun, look how it doesn’t try (and fail) to spell a word.

Doesn’t have a watermark though.

A former work colleague had W3 NKR on his Vauxhall VXR8.

2 Likes

Surprised they let that get released :grin:

Hah, ditto…!

I can only imagine they refused to sell him the one he really wanted!

It’s on a BMW with an enormous engine these days, and I guess it’s the same owner.

911 FU is in an upcoming auction. I was surprised they intend to release that TBH. I don’t imagine it’s going to be bought by Francis Upton or Faye Underwood…

I did see a Rolls Royce with “NUT 5S” on the other day.

In the late 1960s I quite often drove past an almost luminous pink S1 shape Rolls Royce parked on a small patch of rough ground on the south side of the South Circular near the top of Leybourne Park. That patch is all paved now and has a pedestrian crossing.
The only reason I remember it was the number plate PEN 15, but alas I can’t find the colour slide I took back them.

Used to be owned by Steve Parrish, motorbike racer: 10 of the rudest numberplates spotted on Britain's roads

I’m pretty sure it was covered in an episode of Top Gear once.

Think it was owned by Paul Raymond of naughty mag and Soho revue bar fame, or should that be infamy.

1 Like

The most creative one I saw was M12 POO (with the 1 and 2 illegally close together to look like R) on a beige Ford Ka.

1 Like

Passed a car a few years back with YE 51 CAN

Had been spaced to read YE5 1 CAN

Do you travel via MX5?
A tad tenuous perhaps, but V14 MXV is available for £599

In my youth I used to live down the road from the Wentworth Estate (lots of stars of stage and screen) and occasionally saw Jimmy Tarbuck with his car registration COMIC.

Just looked and he’s still going strong at 84 years old with the same registration, although looking at his biography on Wikipedia it sounds like he shouldn’t be driving it.

Following L8 VAT made me smile.

My daughter in-law Sarah Jane is known by her initials, SJ. In early April last year and heavily pregnant she followed a car SJ16 DUE.
The baby arrived on the 16th.

2 Likes

My number plate is SL 11 LLY. My wife is Sue and our surname Lilly. I missed JL 11 LLY to match my name when they were released on DVLA .

2 Likes