Posting problems

I have posted in the Suspension Technical section. I received 5 error messages.

Now I see the post have been replicated 5 times. Apologies but with 5 error messages generated it is suggestive of the post not being submitted so I tried again.

The website is significantly slow this evening?

Just did what I suggested above, 404, pressed back button, lo and behold - double post,

Things don’t get better, they just get worse. (pressed POST once only!)

Regrettably - this is a current state of this forum, 404 errors are common place, and even the ‘503 Website not found’ can come up occasionally.

Your patience is called for, and a simple solution is to ignore the 404, and press the back button at the top left of your browser button. This will return you to the forum, and if you scroll down to where you posted you query, and click on it, you should see your query displayed already. If it isn’t, with the mouse arrow resting on the browser link, press with a right click on your mouse button, then press ‘RELOAD’ - this will (eventually), bring the forum back in view, and you need to do as just stated, go to the area where you posted and click on the link for it. If you still don’t see your post, then try again. If you don’t remember exactly what you said, then before pressing POST, copy your message and paste it back into the area where you tried in the first place.

Not that complicated, and it does work most of the time - saves the embarrassment of seeing multiple posts all on the same subject. (you need to delete all other posts that were duplicated, and just enter ‘double post’ instead, then a moderator can delete all other posts and leave your original query still in place.)

Somewhere - over the rainbow - - - comes to mind.

Thank you.

I can and will be patient. However, I would expect moderators to be understanding of the problem and not post terse replies or replies boardering on sarcasm.

If a double or triple post occurs it is not likely the fault of the poster.

Your help is very much appreciated.

I tried replying to a post yeasterday, several times, with no luck.

It really is time something was done about it once and for all.

When you find the site is slow to load the worse thing you can do is hit that post reply button again and again, it will double triple post. I find if it doesn’t seem to want to post first time, leave it, don’t be tempted to hit the button again. More often that not it will post and or throw up the 404 error, if it does neither after waiting an age close the browser down or go on another website. If you come back to this site say in a few minutes you will most likely find your post has been displayed.

The above is not ideal I know but I find it works for me.

And just to say it’s definately getting worse, and getting on my wotsits now.

I have found over the past few weeks, that if you get a 404 NOT FOUND error message when trying to post, simply shut down the page (leave the OC web site in other words), and go make a cup of tea.  When you get back five minutes later, open up again, and nine times out of ten your posting will appear.

As Mick says - not ideal, but it works (sort of !).  

Its OK, saying, leave it a while but in this day and age the internet should be instant. Maybe the speed of the forum is why so few people use it these days.

TBH Nick I find that if I post anything I receive a terse or sarcastic reply. Yesterday it seemed like my double/double post was all my fault. 

Then subsequently I received a PM which I found sarcastic to say the least.

Maybe the reason people don’t post much is because they don’t want to be subjected to such feelings of inferiority.

I had no idea my post did not work, I received error messages and therefore I tried to post again etc. I didn’t do it on purpose. I was unaware of Gerryn’s suggestion for solving the issue until I received his post this morning.

I can’t see why members should be criticised for the failings of the software.

Just saying…

The failings of this forum’s software lately seems to be getting everyone on edge - tempers are getting frayed, with the inevitable result of grumpy posts.  We’re only human after all !

One hopes and assumes that the tech guys at MX-5 OC Towers are doing their best to solve the issues, and are probably getting fed up with all the negative comments.  However, unless we ordinary paying members keep complaining, there is a possibility that nothing will ever get done to improve the situation.

I am not a member of very many forums like this (perhaps half-a-dozen or so), but in my limited experience of these things, this one definitely seems to be the most unreliable at present.   

Yesterday on the “Keyless entry cars” thread I had an innocuous post disappear with the note “Message was deleted by a Moderator / Reason: Not specified”. I then made a post asking for the Moderator to come forward and give an explanation.  Another post then followed by a Moderator giving the why’s and wherefore’s of deletions and adding that there was no indication that my post had indeed been removed by a Moderator and it was possible that it had fallen victim to a "software glitch.

An interesting development…?

I got an email notification of your post because I am watching the topic…but I received it TWICE.

Same as every other post I am watching.

Things are weird and getting weirder!  Did you notice that ChrisR’s posts in that “Keyless car entry” thread consisted of little more that programmers text!?

I also tried to post yesterday and got the 404 message.

I didn’t try again as it was really not important…I was just trying to thank another member for a useful ( to me ) post.

My membership renewal payment is due in mid May. 

I do not take advantage of the club rallies etc as I live in France, so really I am paying my subscription towards the website, which I find really useful.

I will be renewing my subscriptions in the hope that the club can resolve the issues with the website.

If we had more paid up members, I am sure the club could use the money to resolve the current online issues.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Richard

Weirder and weirder indeed - I never posted anything on a ‘keyless car entry’ thread ! 

Hey - I never posted anything on a ‘keyless entry’ thread 

Sorry guys - double post !

Thanks for notifying me…TWICE.

Gotta unwatch this now…my emails are stacking up…lol

Sorry Chris!  I realised I’d made a mistake in names and corrected it, but because of the “hanging” for ages then the usual “404” not before you’d seen it.