Potential new owner queries

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1.8i 20th Anniversary Convertible 2dr Petrol Manual Euro 4 (126 ps), 2010
  2. I’m based near: Plymouth
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: A bit of advice for first time owner

Hi all, thanks for the add.

Apologies if any of this has been asked before. I’m considering buying the above model. Having done a bit of research on line, there are a few queries that spring to mind:

1. The rust issues around the sills; I’ve looked at a couple of models for sale recently, and the rust has been quite clearly evident, are there any “hidden areas” that I need to be aware of before buying or will it always be plain to the naked eye? As I understand it, so long as the drains are cleared often, this problem doesn’t manifest?

2. Are hard tops available to buy and for all of the soft top models? I don’t have room for the car in my garage so would like a hard top for winter if possible.

3. Has anyone ever known a tow bar to be fitted to this model? It’s only to pull a bike trailer and a classic Lambretta, so no great weight.

Thanks in advance, and hoping for the positive responses that will support my intended purchase.

Easy answer to the last two questions…

Yes hard tops available, range from around £500 to about £800 on condition of course. Make sure they come with the necessary fitting kits as these are very expensive to buy separately.

Tow bars are a no no on the NC (Mk3) not approved and pretty much won’t be legal, I’m no expert on this matter though.

Rusty bits…
All of the underbody can develop rust, the main under pan is pretty much covered in underseal but they left patches unprotected.
Look mainly at the lower rear wheel arches to sill areas, behind the wheel arch liner in the same areas and up under each side of the boot floor can catch the rust.
The suspension parts, subframes can rust pretty badly too.
For an idea see pics below and also a great place for detailed rusty bits search for the MX-5 restorer online or YouTube for some fascinating restoration videos or possiblity to some some horror show rusty clips.

Thanks, much appreciated.

This is the worse I’ve seen, gives you idea of where to look.
Search more of their stuff, plenty to see of all models.

The most common things to look out for here:
http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=52

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

Cheers.

So I’m looking at one for sale now, has as an advisory on recent MOT “front and rear suspension corroded”, does anyone have any idea of how much this would cost to rectify please?

Probably a wire brush and tin of kurust/paint/dinitrol/waxoyl… other brands available

Thank you