Potential purchase, advice would be wonderful

I’m looking at a 2007 NC online at the moment, I’ve checked out the MOT history, it has no corrosion advisories on any MOT but the advert says there is a small blister of rust on the rear wheel arch. I’ve asked for a better picture of the rust, which the current owner is planning to send me later, but how concerned should I be about a rust blister on the rear wheel arch?

1 Like

Without wishing to unduly concern you, as an owner of an older NBFL I found a blister was the tip of an iceberg, these cars do rust from the inside out.

It would be worth asking for photo’s of the suspension and underside. If the car has not been independently rust protected there is probably going to be some surface rust underneath but it need not be terminal.

Would I worry about a blister on a car 16 years old, no I’d just factor rust repairs and rustproofing into the cost of purchase.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, that was my concern, everything I’ve read so far says surface rust usually means a larger issue. My hope is that the MOT history is accurate and it’s just some surface rust. :pray:

1 Like

Have you seen the car in-person yet? No substitute to seeing it properly and being able to have a poke about.

Especially if it’s reasonably local to you, I wouldn’t wait for additional photos and get a proper look at it.

1 Like

Not yet. Will do before I pay any money for it! It’s not too far away, so hopefully can go and see it tonight/tomorrow

Have a look at the pics and video, common areas are lower rear wheel arch meeting the sill and general rust underneath including subframe (rear mainly) and suspension parts.
The video is an extreme case of, well an horror show of rust, gives you an idea of how they go without care and a bit (well more than a bit) of underseal treatment

That video :exploding_head:

Going to view today. Hopefully it’s all good and I can buy it :slight_smile:

There are lots out there so it would need to be cheap.

Been to see it this afternoon. Can’t see anything beyond the surface rust. Had a good poke around the area and a good look around the sill and suspension and couldn’t see anything concerning.

Drove very nicely too, so think I’m going to buy it this weekend

2 Likes

If it has plastic side sill skirts, you’d still do very well to have them off for inspection…they can hide a lot of cheeky stuff. If the car is not a keeper…don’t bother!

1 Like

It is a keeper for me, but one I’m willing to take a level of risk on, given the price. I have a budget for repairs that will cover most things, so worst comes to the worst it costs me more but I end up with a better end result :joy:

Good lad.
Sounds like a solid plan :handshake:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.