Pre bent brake pipe supplier/ service

As my MX5 NA resto continues I have or know exactly where to get all the bits and bobs I need bar 2 items and one is mission critical.

My brake hard lines are in a poor state, especially where they have been exposed to the elements. I like the original look of the painted steel lines but could live with copper if needs be.

I’ve messed around with old cars for a long time and I can make a flair on a brake pipe. What I’m not very good at is making a nice neat factory-seque pipe that is arrow straight and neat bends in all the right places. Or at least not with the tools amateurs use. Mine look like a child has made them.

I know you can buy pre cut pre flaired pipes although that is the easier bit. I’ve been as far as corresponding with the fellow who supplies those kits to MX5 parts.

However I’ve never found a company that will make you a set of pipes up with the bends in. Does anyone know of such a company? I’d obviously need to collect but that is fine. I won’t we ready for them for a month or two and hopefully we can drive around then.

Have ago at doing it yourself. I recently replaced the front to rear brake pipe on my Mk2. I bought the pipe, a flaring kit and a pipe bending tool from Halfords as it worked out cheapest.
Its a surprisingly easily job getting the old pipe off and took about 1/2 to form the new pipe then bingo - it fitted exactly.
Such a feeling of satisfaction.

Mazda still supply most of the brake pipes.

Simply order straight pipes and get them delivered by Hermes. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Would probably end up arriving with the right bends…but not necessarily in the right places :blush:

Do I detect a hint of Morecambe & Wise in your answer? :joy:

My attempts at brake pipes are certainly that.

I am going to try Mazda as suggested above but I am sceptical as no one lists the ABS box to offside flexible hose of a NA in their on line catalogues which is the pipe that is main offender.

Failing that I dare say I’ll have to have a go at it myself although It’s fiddly down past the servo and my poor hands are still recovering from getting the dashboard out with the car outside in the rain and the hood up.

Oww, ABS model NA, rare beast. Not sure Mazda will have stock of those pipes like they do with the more common ones. I’m interested to know how it goes.

I got this one last year which is the equivalent non-ABS pipe.

The abs one is much longer as it takes the brake fluid on a trip back from the ABS unit on the near side down round the servo and then looks the same as the one in the pic at the end. It of course has fancy bends at both ends…

Auto link had the near side one but of course that wasn’t so bad, it’s the offside that has had it.

Sadly I don’t think one from a NB fits as I have it in mind it’s Abs is positioned differently.

If there is a Pirtek near you, they’d make one up.

I’ll try that. The car is now on the last leg of the big big welding job and is having its MX5 Restorer beefed up floor rails added - so it won’t be back for a week or two as it’ll need paint etc and by then hopefully I may be able to go further than the end of my road.